Logging into SL drops my internet speed dramatically

ippujippu

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

My logging into SL by Firestorm viewer drops my internet speed from ~90 Mbps to ~7 Mbps,, why is that?

I use laptop,  W10 and Firestorm,, the newest. As soon as i log in the speed drops, even though my parcel is very small and not laggy.

ippujippu resident (Anny Almaz)

6 answers to this question

You can try to open the task manager (right click on the taskbar and choose task manager), then select more details, go to the performance tab and select the Ethernet connection in the left pane.

There you can see how much data is sent en received on your connection, keep the task manager open, open FS leave it running for 5 minutes and close it, you can see how much data is used by the program.

if you want to do further analysis of your network traffic you can open the resource monitor with the link at the bottom of the task manager and open the network tab, it should show you what programs are using your network and how much data is sent and received by every single process individually.

As far as i know, FS is throttled at 5 MBps and my average connection usage on FS is around and about 400 Kbps up and 244 kbps down.

Edited by Kardargo Adamczyk

I think there are two things that are happening, from what little you have said. 

Running any network speed test while SL is running is going to slow things down. You have two apps pushing data through your connection. The speed test is only considering the data it is moving in its measurement. Speed tests are intended to be the only app running to accurately measure your connection's capability. Network and CPU use beyond the speed test app will distort the numbers. That the numbers seem less than reasonable for what is happening is because the distortion added is undefined... we don't know how much the CPU affects the accuracy.

Also, your speed is determined by your side of the connection and the server you are connecting to. If your network card is busy with SL it can't give 100% to the test.

Using an 8Mb/sec connection for SL is not going to produce any noticeable lag in SL behavior. You might be able to measure some difference in scene-render-time between a 8Mb and a 16Mb connection speed. But, I suspect the SL and CDN sides of the connection would distort the measurements .

You also need other tools for measuring, as Kardargo points out. The viewers use an odd type of PING and the "Data Received" and Max Bandwidth numbers are for UDP data only. PING in the viewer and in the Operating System are different ping measurements. In the viewer PING timing depends on the SL server. If it lags, your PING numbers go up. It isn't a pure network measure.

If you are trying to reduce lag in the viewer, look at things other than the network. The network used to be the primary source of slow key/mouse response. Now the Scripts Run % is the common cause of sluggish key/mouse response. The general cause of lag in the viewer is Draw Distance. A high end gaming machine will drop to single digit frame rates at Max Draw Distance.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.