media_plugin_webkit failed how do i fix this without taking my brand new comp. to the shop?

Leumeister

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

since this thing just erased my post i'll go over it again if you can't get this to work how do you expect to get people to PAY for anything in here media plugin webkit failed for the last  three days i'm using a new comp. my prof. gave me this as a class project and i cannot do anything because the program completely crashes half the time before it starts and the rest of it search and view profile won't work there has to be some way to fix this without paying a fortune please let the rest of us know thank you...

6 answers to this question

There are reports that recent Quicktime updates actually cause problems, giving plugin errors. If this is the case for you, then remove Quicktime entirely from your system, then reinstall it.

Check the SLPlugin file

• Relog and open Search
  • Go to your computer processes and look for “slplugin.exe”
    • For Windows users, go to Task Manager → Processes Tab
    • For Mac users, go to Activity Monitor → My Processes (usually by default, but you can check top right drop down)
    • For Linux users, go to Command Terminal, and type “ps aux”
    • You may see four instances of the slplugin running (that is normal behavior)
    • If you do not see any instances of slplugin running, that is the cause of media failing
  • If slplugin is not running, disable all firewall and virus protection (including anti-virus software and windows or other operating system firewalls)
  • Relog and attempt video playback again
  • If it works, you will need stop your firewall/virus protection from blocking the slplugin file by granting it appropriate permissions in your firewall/virus protection software
  • If all of the above does not resolve the issue, you can try downloading the latest Snowglobe viewer and replacing your slplugin file with the one from Snowglobe.

Clearing QuickTime Cache

If you have issues watching movies (as opposed to YouTube videos) it might help to clear your QuickTime cache:

• Open the QuickTime player
  • Click on Edit → Preferences → QuickTime Preferences → Advanced Tab → Empty cache
  • Click on Apply then Ok and reboot your computer

ETA:  Peewee said this better than I could have so these are her words. :smileytongue:

If your running Phoenix on a Ubuntu 10.04 platform and your media isn't running, if you get this error:

media_plugin_webkit failed

Simply download the 373 version of Phoenix and copy the directory of llplugin into the later version of Phoenix.

First see if version 373 will work for you.

It worked for me.

This work for me and is an easy fix for the "media_plugin webkit" issue.  Just turn off your OS firewall, deffender, and all of your active aint virus programs.  When you log back into SL using the "Singularity Viewer" a box will open and ask you if want the plugin install.  Click on the yes icon in the box and it is installe, it is that easy.  Remember to turn back on all the security programs that you turn off for the installation. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4729 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.