RGB values for new LH interior wall colors

Sanli7

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1548 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anyone know where to get these? Or who/how to ask LL to provide them? (Yes, I have been looking around first before asking!!! I haven't found them).

I actually like some of the colors! And wish to be able to recreate on color picker HUDS and for other customization. Thanks for your input :)))

• Thanks 1

If you are interested in any of the new Victorian colors, the control panel tells you in chat the RGB of each color as you choose it.   So far, when making interior walls out of prims, just tinting a blank texture with the RGB given has worked surprisingly well.

However, for some homes (most notably the houseboats and some campers), the content pack textures are only base colors; the actual wall textures the moles used sometimes have baked shadows in corners etc..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

You can also use an online RGB chart to get the numbers from and input them into the panel's window.  Often I use Color Cop and pull up color pallets from online, and mouse over it to get the RGB numbers, or in world, if I'm trying to match a wall color say to a sofa or bed color, I'll mouse over that item to get the RGB numbers from it.

RGB online charts:

https://www.rapidtables.com/web/color/html-color-codes.html

https://www.w3schools.com/colors/colors_picker.asp

Color-Cop-v_1.png.441751bf22a061dde29cf47d5be41e0f.png

https://color-cop.en.softonic.com/    <- Download Link

Color Cop Tutorial - how to use (Thank you @Nika Talaj for the link)

https://youtu.be/kTRFZyQWaAo

Edited by PrudenceAnton
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 5

4 hours ago, Sanli7 said:

Does anyone know where to get these? Or who/how to ask LL to provide them? (Yes, I have been looking around first before asking!!! I haven't found them).

I actually like some of the colors! And wish to be able to recreate on color picker HUDS and for other customization. Thanks for your input :)))

Gooood that you opened this thread! I was thinking of doing so - or adding it to the Victorian thread.

Gooood idea that we should share some RGB values. Not everyone is able to find them on their own.

If you google "victorian colours" you'll find a lot of examplepictures. You can download them and pick the RGB values in a paintshop or photoshop or Gimp programm. I analysed and tried the following:

= MY beige

------------------------

= Verdigirls green

-----------------------

= Mid Brunswick green

---------------------------

= Royal Maroon

-------------------------

= Pale Cream

---------------------

= Light Cobalt

-----------------

= DH Indigo

-------------------

Edited by Leora Jacobus
  • Thanks 2

For developing your own color palettes (up to 9 colors in a single palette), there are a number of free apps you can use in the absence of Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, etc. I’ve been looking at Pocket Palette, which allows you to match colors from photos/screengrabs in your camera roll, and even from photos that you take within the app. Or just play with colors without an external reference. It’s very easy to adjust colors, and easy to read the RGB values. 

894DDFD5-E9C9-4480-9331-2C8D4A9A08DC.png

Edited by Frigga Freidman
more info
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

A little off topic...other places to get RGB values for palette ideas are the larger paint brand sites, when I first got the Victorian I found a Historic Colors collection at Sherwin Williams for example which had a set called Late Victorian - played with those and wound up with a Queen Anne Lilac shade for a custom living room color which I would never have thought of on my own...   https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-collection/historic-collection/interior-historic-colors

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

23 minutes ago, Malayaa said:

A little off topic...other places to get RGB values for palette ideas are the larger paint brand sites, when I first got the Victorian I found a Historic Colors collection at Sherwin Williams for example which had a set called Late Victorian - played with those and wound up with a Queen Anne Lilac shade for a custom living room color which I would never have thought of on my own...   https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-collection/historic-collection/interior-historic-colors

Excellent resource! Just click on a color and then click on Details for the RGB values. Plus they offer links to coordinating and similar colors.

A0F226AC-CD91-46FF-9098-9052B602F8A9.png

Edited by Frigga Freidman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Be careful about pulling RGB values from surfaces in-world. The RGB value is a function of the underlying texture AND the ambient/direct lighting.  Only full-bright surfaces reveal their true RGB values.

It's been a long time since I plucked the RGB value of something in-world, so I just logged in to see if the "Show Color Under Cursor" tool reveals the actual texture RGB or the rendered RGB (including lighting effects). Apparently, in both the SL Viewer and Firestorm, it's nuts. I rezzed a cube and set one face black and another white, and got similar RGB values for both faces. And those RGB values wandered all over the place (covering more than a 2:1 range of brightness) as I dragged my cursor across the faces.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 5

8 hours ago, PrudenceAnton said:

Often I use Color Cop and pull up color pallets from online, and mouse over it to get the RGB numbers, or in world, if I'm trying to match a wall color say to a sofa or bed color, I'll mouse over that item to get the RGB numbers from it.

ZOMG!!!   I am a color noob, never been an artist and prolly never will be, so I am hitting the THANK button over and over for your mention of Color Cop!  Coordinating palettes that just appear whenever I pick a color, HOORAY!

My Victorian looks forward to being rescued from the set of 'seems like a nice idea' non-coordinating colors it now sports.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

I downloaded the Color picker but did not find out how to use it.

See this youtube Nika linked:

1 hour ago, Nika Talaj said:

Btw, I looked at a few Color Cop tutorials.  This one is succinct and introduces usage of each area on its busy little UI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTRFZyQWaAo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Moles

I'm pleased that people are having such fun and being creative with the custom coloring tool in the Victorian homes, and doubly pleased that you are finding easy free tools for getting RGB values to try.  If you are trying to match colors that you find in world, pay attention to @Madelaine McMasters advice and remember that the color that you see on your monitor is affected by ambient light and by any local light sources, and that shadows and specularity will modify hue and intensity as well.  And, of course, remember that your own monitor's color balance "personalizes" the colors that you see. Someone else, using a different monitor, may see different colors than you do. You can go nuts trying to find the perfect color.  😉

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

Here's another web you can visit, to find out the RGB values for a color you like. Just upload the picture that contains the color of your choice, and you'll get the code

https://imagecolorpicker.com/

I'm using Photoshop, but a license is needed, so if you don't use this tool for anything else, try something free :) 

Edited by Elena Core
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Elena Core said:

Here's another web you visit, to find out the RGB values for a color you like. Just upload the picture that contains the color you like, and you'll get the code

https://imagecolorpicker.com/

I'm using Photoshop, but a license is needed, so if you don't use this tool for anything else, try something free :) 

THAT is the right tool for me!! Just tried it! Worked to a marvel! :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Be careful about pulling RGB values from surfaces in-world. The RGB value is a function of the underlying texture AND the ambient/direct lighting.  Only full-bright surfaces reveal their true RGB values.

It's been a long time since I plucked the RGB value of something in-world, so I just logged in to see if the "Show Color Under Cursor" tool reveals the actual texture RGB or the rendered RGB (including lighting effects). Apparently, in both the SL Viewer and Firestorm, it's nuts. I rezzed a cube and set one face black and another white, and got similar RGB values for both faces. And those RGB values wandered all over the place (covering more than a 2:1 range of brightness) as I dragged my cursor across the faces.

That' precisely what concerned me. So far, i managed to eyeball it pretty well and it works because of the lighting, every wall is a different color so cant tell if one is a little off! LOL

i can get away with it for a curved wall on a houseboat but the Victorians are a different story, precision will be key. 

** THANK YOU ALL for these marvelous suggestions!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I learned so much. your ideas and sollutions far exceeded any expectation i had of a helpful answer. instead, it opened a whole new world to me (i try not to build in SL lol but this color thing is getting me going)! thank you again. Come by for wine or tea anytime as a thank you! Starshine, Lapis :)))

5 hours ago, Lukas Thetan said:

There is a notecard included in the Victorian content pack which lists the RGB values of the interior and exterior colors.

Sadly, they did not do this for the houseboats, probably for reasons mentioned above about how they made the walls. My alt has a Victorian and i saw that NC in there, went back to look at the houseboat packs - nada. Luckily, i am using a dark color in a small space so with lighting effects, i think i can hide any small mismatch but i would want more precision for a Victorian, yes. I cant wait to see what all you color experts have been doing to your Victorians! 

4 hours ago, Elena Core said:

And if you ever need the RGB values, and can't access the site for any reason, just send me a message here with the pic/color, and I'll be more than happy to upload it into Photoshop for you :) 

You get tea AND cake LOL thank you, my dear :)

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1548 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.