I’m curious how many of you posting here are actually still active in SL?

Fauve Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1523 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yeah, the OP may have higher criteria for "active" than I can meet. I login pretty much every day and often stay connected for hours (sometimes long after I've wandered AFK in RL), but it's not social most of the time, rather puttering around with scripts, trying some hare-brained scheme I dreamt up offline, or "maintaining" random stuff that's caught my attention.

(For example, I just this morning realized that some "RealWaves" I've had rezzed offshore for years are Full Bright. So I've subjected my neighbors to that hideousness all this time. And of course they're No-Mod because the creator is so ludicrously full of himself. And I can't seem to find an adequate replacement, so that'll burn more time. If at this late date I need to make and texture and script effing waves myself, I'm gonna be pretty disgusted.)

Also, I wonder if the OP has this forum confused with VirtualVerse née SLUniverse where, as others have pointed out, it's a badge of honor to have forgotten how to login to SL. I really don't get that vibe here. (It's weird over there, too, because the board owner clearly logs in all the time and regularly makes timely, topical posts.)

As we used to say of hallucinogens, reality is for those who can't handle Second Life.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I pretty much define ‘active’ as ‘still actually logs in and does something in SL’, I didn’t really have ‘logs in with x frequency’  or ‘is x amount of social’ in mind. Some people rarely interact with others at all but log in frequently, that’s just the way they do SL. Many fashion bloggers are basically platform dwellers who occasionally visit the backdrop places. And yes, I did know VV1 has that thing, and an offhand remark here and there by a few forum posters here kind of also inferred/implied that it has been some time since they had actually logged in so that just made me wonder about people in general. It’s obvious that many people who post here log in really frequently, but not so obvious about others. A few have referred to things I know aren’t really still a thing so it has left me wondering ‘Hm, when were they in last, I think it may have been a while?’.

So...curious enough to make this thread, but not really enough to actually look up anyone’s last login date? 😉 I have looked that up when trying to decide how best to contact someone though, if they don’t have contact info in their profile. If it’s been a month or more since they have last logged in, I might write them a notecard since I assume people’s IMs cap.

Edited by Fauve Aeon
  • Like 1

I log in every day, usually for several hours. I spend a lot of the time at my home and if I go afk at all just looking at my av will give you an idea what I’m doing RL, watching tv, reading the newspaper or in the kitchen. I even have an exercise machine in my house, but the fact that you’ll rarely see my av on it is a bad sign of my RL exercise regime ;)

I have a handful of friends that I usually chat with at some point of the day via IM, and am very happy indulging in my latest project, whatever that may be (“Today, I are be mostly farming”).

Travel within SL is my favourite hobby, and you’ll often see me around the continents in some vehicle or another, usually en route from one of my parcels to another. If you see me, please don’t hesitate to wave.

I only ever use forums for things I’m still involved with, never bothering to haunt the ones I’m not with what would be an increasingly out of date opinion.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fauve Aeon said:

Well, I guess the long title says it all but in case it gets chopped oddly...

I’m curious how many of you posting here are actually still active in SL?
And if you don’t log in to SL anymore, why you still post here or on other SL/virtual world based forums? 

edit: If it’s confusing why I asked, some gamers stop playing a game but still post in general forum threads among friends they made, I’m actually in another 2 RL hobbies where people have stopped practicing the hobby but still interact with the communities and I do know that on one other VW based forum, there are a fair amount of people who go by their SL name but don’t actually log in anymore. 

Tolya is rarely on SL any more.  I did log on last night to look up some people I haven't spoken to in years.  I switched to a new main avatar about 5 years ago, and for the most part I keep SL separate from SL ;)

Edited by Tolya Ugajin
ETA My new main is on daily for hours, sometimes active, sometimes just in bed sleeping with my wife.
  • Haha 5

11 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

For many people on the forums, their game is in fact the forums; they no longer log on anymore.

But too many of the highly-opionated on here -- whose high opinions start with themselves -- don't really go in SL or do anything there. If they do, they might sit in one spot in IMs the entire time.

I once made it my business to go and visit the shops of some of the loudest mouths on the forums, people who had heckled and harassed me viciously because I expressed opinions different than theirs. And to my surprise, their stores had not changed since the first time they were built -- in 2007. Or 2004! Their vendors were pathetic, and contained things no one bought any more because SL had evolved to other forums. The traffic on their stores was...8. Or "0". I then switched from annoyance to pity. These people had nothing going at all. Some of them had once had thriving businesses, but then changes in fashion or the very materials of SL or changes in policies (against trafficking) put them out of business. And they are frozen in time.

I don't gloat over people who are behind, as I am behind myself, and a very slow learner. But I do have an informed opinion from logging on nearly every day and helping customers and learning of their problems and their joys, what works and doesn't.

You may not gloat, but you sure do take an unwarranted stance of moral superiority!

Due to alts, you really cannot tell much from a person's log-in history.  Also, there are LOTS of stores that still sell stuff from the old days (poseballs, eww) - one must think they are either indecently wealthy or else are actually making money off their in-world stores, because it isn't exactly free to run an in-world store.  Perhaps their "pathetic" vendors are generating enough to keep their old stores afloat while they created a new avatar for all their super-duper new mush wares.  You wouldn't know, and since you don't, you shouldn't draw conclusions.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I pretty much define ‘active’ as ‘still actually logs in and does something in SL’, Many fashion bloggers are basically platform dwellers who occasionally visit the backdrop places. And yes, I did know VV1 has that thing, and an offhand remark here and there by a few forum posters here kind of also inferred/implied that it has been some time since they had actually logged in so that just made me wonder about people in general.

I login at least a few days every week.  I log into SL more often than I read and post in these forums.  My photostudio is at ground level, and when I take pics there it is usually before or after socializing and doing things.  As for VVO/SLU, I think most of the posters there do login, it's a minority that doesn't.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is commendable.

This, on the other hand, is merely stalkerish:

And I'd be curious to learn how you "know" this:

(Fortunately, I can take solace in the fact that you clearly are not speaking of me, as I have no opinions.)

In all fairness to Prok, what Prok described fits one former forum regular exceptionally well. We know he didn't do anything in SL for years besides stand around on his platform because he eventually took to saying so and it fit with how out-dated his ideas were. It didn't stop him from pontificating at length (he could fill **pages** if he got others to argue with him) and with great self-bestowed authority on practices which were already changing a decade prior, simply because he'd been able to cash out x amount per month during the boom years. His ability to derail threads was impressive, but got in the way of useful conversations about what's going on now. And he always had to have the last word in any exchange, so you can imagine how that worked with Prok.

Knowing that he didn't have a clue about current happenings made his side of those over-long threads easier to put into context, which lead to less going-in-circles arguments, which lead to less derail, which made it easier to carry on with the useful conversations. I had the idea to look up his store inworld to see what he'd done, in part to appreciate what he had been good at and in part just to ascertain that I'd understood things correctly. Never made it there though.

Anyway, there's history behind Prok's post.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I can think of a few merchants who post here regularly under the same account as holds their business, and who are, I know for a fact, still logging in quite regularly.

But this still doesn't actually address my main point, which is that many merchants likely prefer to spend their personal time in SL on other accounts precisely so that they aren't being bothered with IMs about their stores.

Given that you have regularly demonstrated little but contempt for the official forums and the people here in the nearly11 years that I've been here, anyway, I am completely mystified as to why you keep coming back. I'm not really complaining about that, personally: the forums are big enough for you and everybody else, and I sometimes find what you have to say interesting. But why on earth do you continue to do it, when you seem to dislike it here so much?

Gets out the popcorn and a note pad, prepared to learn how a nice person bickers with someone not so nice.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Bitsy Buccaneer said:

In all fairness to Prok, what Prok described fits one former forum regular exceptionally well.

That might be more than all fairness, Bitsy!

Here's what Prok said...

1 hour ago, Tolya Ugajin said:
12 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

For many people on the forums, their game is in fact the forums; they no longer log on anymore.

But too many of the highly-opionated on here -- whose high opinions start with themselves -- don't really go in SL or do anything there.

The "one former forum regular" you have in mind was just one. Prok is describing many, too many.

Of course, there are times when just one can be too many. I have an example in mind.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I have an example in mind.

I have a feeling that we all have the same example in mind.

Prok's contention (which I'm pretty sure she was making back in 2009, when I started posting on the old RA forums) is more than merely that people here are out of touch: there's an element of conspiracy theory associated with it. FIC, anyone?

The thing is, I was quite serious when I said that Prok makes some valuable contributions here sometimes; it's not just trolling. I just don't understand the value of coming in every time with a combative attitude that tends to dismiss the value of the opinions of the very people being addressed. It seems perverse.

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:
12 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I have a feeling that we all have the same example in mind.

Of course, there are times when just one can be too many. I have an example in mind.

You ladies better not be talking about me :(

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I just don't understand the value of coming in every time with a combative attitude that tends to dismiss the value of the opinions of the very people being addressed. It seems perverse.

It is perverse and Prok is but one of many who drop in just to insult and/or threaten other forumites. Their alleged issue or question is just some cover story.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Prok's contention (which I'm pretty sure she was making back in 2009, when I started posting on the old RA forums) is more than merely that people here are out of touch: there's an element of conspiracy theory associated with it. FIC, anyone?

Prok's blog... https://3dblogger.typepad.com/second_thoughts/2012/04/ll-doesnt-have-a-sense-of-humour.html

From which I quote: "Meanwhile, I noticed that Madelaine McMasters -- is she FIC royalty? -- was able to get her April Fool's to remain..."

You just can't make this stuff up.*

*(Of course you can, but some people save us the effort.)

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1523 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.