I’m curious how many of you posting here are actually still active in SL?

Fauve Aeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Talligurl said:

Though to be honest, there are days I log into SL, just to get pictures to post here.

Me too although I prefer to use the beta grid for it. I also to check some details for a post here. I always use a different alt for that though since I will usually be flooded with IMs the moment I log on as ChinRey.

• Like 3

Good question.

For many people on the forums, their game is in fact the forums; they no longer log on anymore.

I log on several times a day to help my customers and spend long hours working on my rentals or creating things or exploring. So I'm not in that category.

But too many of the highly-opionated on here -- whose high opinions start with themselves -- don't really go in SL or do anything there. If they do, they might sit in one spot in IMs the entire time.

I once made it my business to go and visit the shops of some of the loudest mouths on the forums, people who had heckled and harassed me viciously because I expressed opinions different than theirs. And to my surprise, their stores had not changed since the first time they were built -- in 2007. Or 2004! Their vendors were pathetic, and contained things no one bought any more because SL had evolved to other forums. The traffic on their stores was...8. Or "0". I then switched from annoyance to pity. These people had nothing going at all. Some of them had once had thriving businesses, but then changes in fashion or the very materials of SL or changes in policies (against trafficking) put them out of business. And they are frozen in time.

I don't gloat over people who are behind, as I am behind myself, and a very slow learner. But I do have an informed opinion from logging on nearly every day and helping customers and learning of their problems and their joys, what works and doesn't.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I don't gloat over people who are behind, as I am behind myself, and a very slow learner. But I do have an informed opinion from logging on nearly every day and helping customers and learning of their problems and their joys, what works and doesn't.

This is commendable.

This, on the other hand, is merely stalkerish:

2 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

I once made it my business to go and visit the shops of some of the loudest mouths on the forums, people who had heckled and harassed me viciously because I expressed opinions different than theirs.

And I'd be curious to learn how you "know" this:

2 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

But too many of the highly-opionated on here -- whose high opinions start with themselves -- don't really go in SL or do anything there. If they do, they might sit in one spot in IMs the entire time.

(Fortunately, I can take solace in the fact that you clearly are not speaking of me, as I have no opinions.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

This is commendable.

This, on the other hand, is merely stalkerish:

And I'd be curious to learn how you "know" this:

(Fortunately, I can take solace in the fact that you clearly are not speaking of me, as I have no opinions.)

Hardly "stalking" to go to the public business of a public personage on the forums, Good Lord, that's ridiculous to consider it otherwise.

Jeska Linden used to urge people to take their differences in-world and discuss them there, not on the forums. She had an idea people would be more civil. That's not the case, I've found, but whatever.

It's extremely useful and extremely valid to go to a person's place of business and examine their build, their wares, their traffic, etc. -- especially when they are so loud-mouthed on certain issues of the economy. And instantly you will be transformed from anger to pity, I assure you.

It would be another thing to stalk someone to their home, if you could somehow find it, hang around and scope out their visitors or what's on their nightstand etc.  That would be ethically wrong and I believe against the TOS if pushed too far.

But certainly going to the place of business of someone who has spouted off about some policy regarding SL is exactly what needs to be done. Especially if you are a blogger on SL issues.

How do I know they don't log on? They are never in their stores. The open groups they are in -- including even their store's own group! -- shows they last logged in ages ago. Not too hard to discover.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

It's extremely useful and extremely valid to go to a person's place of business and examine their build, their wares, their traffic, etc. -- especially when they are so loud-mouthed on certain issues of the economy.

Well, it certainly would not be against the TOS to do so. But I do find the idea of taking the time and effort to "investigate" someone's in-world presence merely because they've pissed you off on the forums a wee bit over-the-top, if not actually stalkerish. However, whatevs.

8 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

How do I know they don't log on? They are never in their stores. The open groups they are in -- including even their store's own group! -- shows they last logged in ages ago. Not too hard to discover.

You know full well that many creators and merchants use alts to separate their business identities from their personal life in-world. Discovering that Mycoolstore.Resident isn't logging in much tells you nothing about how often the RL operator is in-world. And many people on the forums are actually using a third account, connected to neither.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 3

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, it certainly would not be against the TOS to do so. But I do find the idea of taking the time and effort to "investigate" someone's in-world presence merely because they've pissed you off on the forums a wee bit over-the-top, if not actually stalkerish. However, whatevs.

You know full well that many creators and merchants use alts to separate their business identities from their personal life in-world. Discovering that Mycoolstore.Resident isn't logging in much tells you nothing about how often the RL operator is in-world.

Nope, that's not the issue at all. In fact some people LIKE to have a recognizable forums avatar that is THE SAME AS the business one so they can attract more attention, in theory. They may not realize it's negative.

It doesn't take time to look up an avatar, TP their store off the back of the picks or profile, and see the traffic etc. It takes a few minutes. You are trying to make an issue of it because you likely know what I'm saying is true.

• Haha 2

You'll find me AFK a lot. I like to be online even if I am not there, but I will try to make sure I am at SL home for that. I love when I get the chance on a Friday or Saturday night to go online, kick back, get toasty and go to an SL club to dance. I don't know what it is, but listening to the DJ, watching everyone dance and changing my moves to match the music is a ton of fun for me. Love to shop and fly around aimlessly when I can. Sometimes I'll show up at a few places I know where people congregate to listen to the conversations and butt-in once and a while (kind of like what I do here on the forums ... :P)

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Prokofy Neva said:

Nope, that's not the issue at all. In fact some people LIKE to have a recognizable forums avatar that is THE SAME AS the business one so they can attract more attention, in theory. They may not realize it's negative.

It doesn't take time to look up an avatar, TP their store off the back of the picks or profile, and see the traffic etc. It takes a few minutes. You are trying to make an issue of it because you likely know what I'm saying is true.

I can think of a few merchants who post here regularly under the same account as holds their business, and who are, I know for a fact, still logging in quite regularly.

But this still doesn't actually address my main point, which is that many merchants likely prefer to spend their personal time in SL on other accounts precisely so that they aren't being bothered with IMs about their stores.

Given that you have regularly demonstrated little but contempt for the official forums and the people here in the nearly11 years that I've been here, anyway, I am completely mystified as to why you keep coming back. I'm not really complaining about that, personally: the forums are big enough for you and everybody else, and I sometimes find what you have to say interesting. But why on earth do you continue to do it, when you seem to dislike it here so much?

• Like 6

Scylla ... That one is best put on Ignore. They do not budge once they've made up their mind and frankly will go to great lengths to 'prove' their ideas are correct - even going so far as to complain about an interaction on their blog, then demand that you provide them with your Real Life information/identity should you dare to try correcting them in the comments and should you refuse, they dismiss you and pretend you were trying to muddy the waters ...

I know from personal experience.

• Like 2

Up until last week it was pretty much every day for 11 years (apart from a 4 day break when in hospital) but last week I felt the need to take a week away from SL,  responding to social media and the forums. I did reply to a customer's offline message via email and sorted all that out but apart from that nothing but a quick scan.  (mark forum read happened a lot)

Now its Monday morning, I feel refreshed and strong and will be logging back in to SL later hopefully for another 11 year stint 😜

• Like 7

I'm more likely to take a break from SL than the forum because I can only access SL via my pc, and other pages are available on my other devices. If there was still an actively maintained android lite browser it would probably change things. However,  at the moment, it works to dip in and out of the forum, but that would frustrate me inworld. I prefer to enjoy a couple of hours there when I have the uninterrupted free time to do.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Me too although I prefer to use the beta grid for it. I also to check some details for a post here. I always use a different alt for that though since I will usually be flooded with IMs the moment I log on as ChinRey.

I need an alt to work on my art, since every time I log in to do that I get people wanting my attention. I usually end up letting them distract me from what I logged in to do.

• Like 2

I'm a night owl so I'm logged on pretty early in the mornings (3:30am PST here) and usually hanging out at places like Aii or Susy's or some other random sim that catches my fancy. A lot of times I'm afk (windowed out updating my wordpress site, fiddling with photoshop, or browsing the SL marketplace), but I do try to answer IMs when I can. I'm not standoffish, but I've been told I come across that way. 😬 

~Vael

• Like 2

Define "active."

I still log in sometimes, not every day, or even every week (especially if each account is considered separately).

As far as the furry(/anime?) community goes: There's just very little interesting stuff going on inworld for me.

The days of social sandboxes where people build stuff or play with random toys is basically gone. Hangout areas are dead silent with everybody talking in IMs, afk, or waiting for someone to ask them to bang.

For the human community: I don't even know. It's always been weird.. Like either stuck in 2010, or just full of "normies," and I mean that un-ironically. Residents who are just tech literate enough to interact with SL as a chat room but without any knowledge of how SL works or how to use the edit tools, or any interest in other games. Residents with generally weird social etiquette that feels really... out of touch? Out of place? Naive? I don't know how to describe it.

Whenever I log in, it's at my own private home so I can write some scripts, or friends asking me to come over to work on their projects.

Just like with inworld, I'm here mainly out of habit. But also because I like helping, answering questions, and going "actually..."

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1550 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.