Do you use the mini map?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I always have it open, it's an awareness thing, to know where people are. If it's not up, I feel as if I'm blind in one eye, or have tunnel vision. My radar is always up too, but that's more to see at a glance names of people, not their distance from me. I like seeing property borders on the mini map too. I keep it small, on the lower right of my screen, since it seems the place it interferes with my view the least. 

Minimap is always on for me: It's great for spotting nearby rez zones (turn on parcel boundaries) and the location of other people around. When I TP into a crowded place, I'm able to start moving around through the crowd, without ever running anyone down, all before anything (including myself) even rezzes in.

It's great for spotting invisible avatars, too. Because even if their name tag is hidden, they *always* will be on the minimap.

Edited by Alyona Su

I have not closed my mini map since I first logged into second life. It lives in the top right hand corner of my screen. The few times it has fell off during a PC crash Ive had to reopen it straight away because Im so used to it being there ( I use it constantly to see where other avatars are).

Edited by Ditto Darkfold

5 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

I find that the minimap isn't as useful in SL as it is in other games because it doesn't show the actual terrain; everything is just grey, which makes it harder to use for navigation, so when I'm sailing I use the minimap in conjunction with the world map and setting of waypoints.

Some viewer's show more things in the mini map than some other viewers - for example the terrain.

2020-01-19_minimap.png.99edcc8f4077cb19765fbf6e326acc84.png

17 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I guess it's a habit from playing video games, but I always keep my mini-map open. Not only do I find it useful to navigate the mainland, I also use it to determine where avatars congregate and as a gauge to how busy a place is.

Not usually, I find the map much better to navigate the roads and oceans in sl. 

My mini-map is always on.  I depend on it for my sense of direction in world.  Unlike RL, where I always know which direction I am facing, I can get completely turned around in SL.  I have taskbar buttons for the few other windows that I have to open frequently (Inventory, Map, Build, Search, Places), but the mini-map is never closed.

53 minutes ago, Tarina Sewell said:

my Mini map does not look like this.. Mine is a blue blob most of the time...

The mini map I showed is from Firestorm viewer.
There are many extra options accessible in it by right clicking the mini map; for example showing the terrain, and also some other helpful things.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

There are many extra options accessible in it by right clicking the mini map; for example showing the terrain, and also some other helpful things.

Oh. My. God.

I have been in SL 13 years and I never knew this!

3 hours ago, Matty Luminos said:

Oh. My. God.

I have been in SL 13 years and I never knew this!

I didn't either!  I'm tickled to know :)

Mine is often open -- helps to tell who is where, especially when I'm at our one house where we actually have interactive neighbors.  It also helps when I'm sailing or in my speedboat, because a) region borders, b) shallows (for sailing), and c) I can track when one of my friends who has several planes is incoming, deciding to buzz my boat :P

• Like 1

I use the mini-map all the time for many of the reasons given by others in this thread and it's a must for sailing but more particularly for pirate ship sailing battles.  The mini-map alloys  you to see where other ships are in relationship to your own.  With some viewers such as Firestorm you can mark avatars on the mini-map with different colors.  This is very useful to be able to tell your fleet apart from the enemy fleet so you don't shoot your own side which tends to irritate people.  I use Firestorms Contact Sets feature to mark people so I can use more colors that are easier to see on the mini-map plus you don't have to redo them every time you login.  Also the chat rings in Firestorm are useful for guessing the range of an enemy ship.  The shout ring at 96 meters is a useful guide.

On 1/18/2020 at 7:55 PM, Gopi Passiflora said:

I guess it's a habit from playing video games, but I always keep my mini-map open. Not only do I find it useful to navigate the mainland, I also use it to determine where avatars congregate and as a gauge to how busy a place is.

Yes, I use it to see if there are any avatars squatting in my rentals or stalking customers. 

It's also vital for direction as the world map is always facing only one way. It can get very confusing. This is why I don't enjoy sailing very much, because you have to keep looking at the mini map versus the world map and constantly reverse course.

Rarely, but yes. Like others have said I use it for navigating. I also use it for photography. Perhaps I'm on a G or M rated sim, and the photo would be great if I were naked, but I don't want to be "that person" if anyone is around. If the sim is empty, then I'll set up the photo and then take off the clothes. If there are others about, I don't do that.

Firestorm MiniMap of my region, showing settings.  Note that Objects must be unchecked if you don't want to see lots of blue objects you own.  My neighbor has ban lines on which is I think the reason it is pinkish and hidden.  Ban lines makes no sense however, since their ground level is just grass and one small tree, while they live at 3500 m in a skybox well beyond the ban line limit.  

ec0a30d46948a7997dc2fce9e28490ef.png

Edited by Jaylinbridges

I moderate regions, so I don't use the mini-map specifically, but rather the radar/people tab thing, which does have the radar in it. This is how I keep my viewer windows laid out:

image.thumb.png.204b0171f05be07c2737ff7d01e73b1c.png

I have a button to specifically open these windows and put them at said positions. It is a very bad piece of code that I am ashamed of, but it works and that all that matters.

Edited by Chaser Zaks

Always on; use it a lot.  It's in the lower corner of the screen and slightly larger than a postage stamp, but invaluable for orientation on land, sea & air; locating rez areas & ban lines..  About the only time I remove it from the screen is when a HUD overlaps enough to be annoying, but usually the mini map wins out & the HUD gets ditched.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1526 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.