Do you use the mini map?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes, I keep the mini map almost always on. It's great when exploring places, sailing, driving a vehicle, flying  helicopter, etc. I especially like the mini map in Firestorm viewer because it has some extra very useful features which LL's viewer does not have. For example parcel borders, which help you to navigate and stay out of private non Linden lands.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I guess it's a habit from playing video games, but I always keep my mini-map open. Not only do I find it useful to navigate the mainland, I also use it to determine where avatars congregate and as a gauge to how busy a place is.

Yes--and for the same reasons. In fact, when I first joined and ran the LL viewer (we're talking 1.19), I don't think the mini map was open for me straight away. I was a little annoyed/confused at first, since I had been used to having one from playing video games--until I figured out the keyboard shortcut. 

• Like 1

I don’t, never have- always close it with each new installation.  Until reading the  replies in this thread I didn’t even know what it was really for. Since I don’t play what I guess you call normal video games like World of Warcraft or anything  (I do like angry birds dream blast) I wouldn’t be familiar with what other replies are referring to but I understand what they’re talking about & now I know what the mini map is for.  😁

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko

I have it in the bottom corner of my screen. Mostly it's to show where avatars are when I first arrive at a location and everyone is either invisible or loading. I tend to walk out of the landing zone right away and I don't want to bump into people so I walk around the green dots on the mini-map. It's also useful in showing where people are above or below you. 

• Like 4

I have it open often - always if I'm traveling around, so I can see parcel lines (or if I want to count how many other homes are on the region I just got a new Linden home on).   I also use it when I want a small visual on my screen of where others in the vicinity might be located at.  Generally location is what I'm usually interested in, but if it's more important that I see all the names of nearby people, for whatever reason, than I'll use the people window list. 

I used the Kokua viewer for awhile, and I was pleasantly surprised to see that their mini-map also showed parcel lines.

4 hours ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

I only open it if I'm experiencing excessive lag and want to see if there are temp rezzers in the vicinity.

I did set mine recently to show temp rezzers, but I've yet to see any at the places I usually hang out.

• Like 1

I keep it in the bottom corner of my screen, just the same reason that @Bree Giffendoes.

Its also invaluable for finding the friend I've gone in-world shopping with, when we get separated in big stores. I make several uses for the colour options for avatar dots, too.

Also, when sailing, its a must. The world map is my chart, and the minimap is my danger-spotter! I wish I could still see region boundaries on the world map when its zoomed out large enough to function as a chart.

• Like 2

I use it a lot! I'm currently trying out some new photography tricks so it's handy to know that I'm not standing for ages in the road outside someone's window in a stalkerish fashion while they are at home, especially as it will be some distant view I'm trying to capture rather than the secrets of their love life :)

• Like 1

Often but not always. It's open if I'm sailing or travelling by some other means, and zoomed out to maximum and I use it to show the beacons of where I'm headed. When I arrive at a party or event , I zoom it in as far as it will go so I can find an empty space to stand in whilst everyone else is still a sea of orange clouds and floating body-parts. Once I'm settled into a particular place, or if I'm staying at home, I turn it off because I like my screen as clutter-free as possible.

I find that the minimap isn't as useful in SL as it is in other games because it doesn't show the actual terrain; everything is just grey, which makes it harder to use for navigation, so when I'm sailing I use the minimap in conjunction with the world map and setting of waypoints.

22 minutes ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

I use it a lot! I'm currently trying out some new photography tricks so it's handy to know that I'm not standing for ages in the road outside someone's window in a stalkerish fashion while they are at home, especially as it will be some distant view I'm trying to capture rather than the secrets of their love life :)

That is so beautifully thoughtful of you!

• Like 2

My main navigation tool - always on.
I see parcel borders, a 20m ring so I see my local chat distance, different coloured dots for avatars friend and vip's and if I enter a busy club I do not need to wait the minute until everybody has loaded, but can directly walk through the crowd without stepping on someone.

I can not even imagine how all this people without mini-map stumble through the virtual world - blind and helpless. 😁 😋

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1551 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.