Prim stretching between two points

Karise

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi everyone, hope I'm in the right place when I ask this.  I'm trying to build a swing concept, and am trying to figure out how to set up the ropes for it.

I'm found emitter scripts that basically fire off 2D particles between an emitter and a receiver, which is decent in concept but looks a bit funky if one side of that system moves.  What I'd like to do, if its even possible, is script an object, in this case, a rope of some sort, between two attachment points that move independently of eachother, with the rope itself stretching back and forth between two set anchors.  Thus, if static, the rope stays the same length and in place, and if one side moves, the rope appears to move, stretch, or change in variation relative to its position from the other anchor point.  I know I've seen some scripts which will resize objects at set intervals, but thats cumbersome and does not account for lag.  Anyone have advice on this, or am I stuck with emitters?  Thank you very much in advance!

The swing I made worked slightly differently. The pivot point was a cylinder laid sideways, and it was the root prim. Attached to each end were two long thin cylinders with rope textures. At the opposite end of these was a flat prim for the seat. The root prim was raised up until it could be hidden in a tree branch. Inside it was a script to rotate it to and fro whenever somebody sat on the seat prim. I had tried particles for the ropes but they were not satisfactory. I had also tried making the root prim a long-sided rectangle with path cuts and full hollow to try and get the swing down to two prims, but it looked awful.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.