Tired of LL security status of accounts.

zyf444e668

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1558 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I make Secondlife alt accounts. I use them for fun or for chat bot measures.

Thing is everytime i do, i forget the security question answer. I never write it down.

As a result i end up getting the accounts locked. I have one that is currently needing password reset but i end up getting it locked. I filed a LL ticket and they want the answer to the question which i obviously forgot....so i just put my best guess...

I am tired of this. Now my alt account is going to remain inactive and I will never log into it. Ugg.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

20 answers to this question

1 minute ago, ChinRey said:

Ummm...

How about you make a text document where you write down the security questions and answers? Or if others have access to your computer, you could try a piece of paper instead.

It might work so it's worth a try.

I should do that really, but i keep forgetting. I need to make a reminder somehow to do that.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

9 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

just going to wonder what your age is,  if you answer the security question with a REAL answer it can't be hard to remember.

Together with your previous issues you can't  provide accurate identy proof it sounds to me you signed/sign up with fake information.

I never sign up anywhere with fake info. That's identity fraud/theft and illegal. >.>

I am truthful with my information i share. There could be many reasons why i am having issues with these things. I prefer not to mention it cause it is personal.

Edited by zyf444e668

51 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

And you can't really convince me you can't remember the town where you were born

I don't remember where I was born. I was too young to pay attention when it happened.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, zyf444e668 said:

I never sign up anywhere with fake info. That's identity fraud/theft and illegal. >.>

For jury duty maybe, not with SL. Here it just means you can’t do certain things like sell Lindens.

Security questions have answers you just know, you don’t have to remember them. Why would anyone lie about the answers  (and then forget to write the fake answers down)?

Edited by Pamela Galli
  • Like 3

Actually, I've heard it's safer to make up fake answers to security questions.  That way, someone who has sussed out your mother's maiden name or your high school won't have the correct answer.  So:  Mother's maiden name?  Answer: Super Chicken.

I never do this though, because I would never remember the silly response I came up with.  If you use the "write it down" method though, this approach makes more sense.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Actually, I've heard it's safer to make up fake answers to security questions.  That way, someone who has sussed out your mother's maiden name or your high school won't have the correct answer.  So:  Mother's maiden name?  Answer: Super Chicken.

I never do this though, because I would never remember the silly response I came up with.  If you use the "write it down" method though, this approach makes more sense.

I give false information to the type of questions that are more common and easy for anyone else to learn -- like the "Mother's maiden name", "High School Mascot", "City you were born in", etc.....  

What I hate most of all are the security questions like "What is your FAVORITE....."   Favorites change over time and should almost never be a security question.  The only exception to that is something like "What WAS your favorite subject in School" and then it only applies if you are out of school.  So those are also the questions that I'll typically give a false answer to. 

I record all security question/answer info in a text doc that only lives on an encrypted FOB.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Security questions are a poorly thought out idea. In the early days, answers to security questions were often stored in plain-text on insufficiently secured servers. The result was that, in the guise of protecting your privacy, websites invaded it and then compromised it. Proof once again that the smartest people on Earth are also the dumbest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

like "What is your FAVORITE....."   Favorites change over time and should almost never be a security question.  The only exception to that is something like "What WAS your favorite subject in School" and then it only applies if you are out of school.

Really. How stupid is that??  One of my husband's security questions is "What is your favorite actor?"

During what decade????  (Amazingly, he remembered.)

• Like 1

I couldn't get my alt logged in (this a few years back) and the security question I was asked was about people on your friends list. Like what is "Sally's last name" type thing.   She had been nice and "friended" some newbie during her history and of COURSE I had no idea who that was.  It turned out that I had her password correct, I had just spelled her first name incorrectly --- so that solved that problem. But since then I have pretty much had a VERY SKIMPY friend list.  Hopefully they are not using that method any longer. Some folks have a good percentage of the grid as their "friends" LOL.       

But don't worry. Pretty soon we will need video retinal scans to do anything important (wink). 

• Thanks 1

i use Windows User profiles to keep different parts of my RL activities separate

for work related stuff I have all that on one profile. For RL personal/family then another profile.  And for non-work creative stuff and games (which includes SL ) then a profile for this.  Separate Windows profiles helps me to keep all my files in order.  My emails and messages as well. Like I have 3 email addresses, one for each profile

because my SL is behind my Gamer profile then any one else who does access my computer physically has to get past  my Windows User profile login. Same with my Work and Personal profile logins

when I create a SL account then I always use the same security question and password. This way I don't have to remember much at all. 

8 hours ago, Mollymews said:

i use Windows User profiles to keep different parts of my RL activities separate

for work related stuff I have all that on one profile. For RL personal/family then another profile.  And for non-work creative stuff and games (which includes SL ) then a profile for this.  Separate Windows profiles helps me to keep all my files in order.  My emails and messages as well. Like I have 3 email addresses, one for each profile

because my SL is behind my Gamer profile then any one else who does access my computer physically has to get past  my Windows User profile login. Same with my Work and Personal profile logins

when I create a SL account then I always use the same security question and password. This way I don't have to remember much at all. 

Windows profiles are easily accessible if the drive is not bitlocked.   if that drive gets stuck in another pc, it's very easy for say me to take a tool that gives me full ownership of the whole user/profiles, that lets me do what ever then.    Best bet is to keep them in something like keepass that's encrypted and without, the keyfile, it does nobody no good as it's not crackable or able to be reverse engineered.  plus the drive I have the key on is bitlocked in a container on a partition that does not show up without a piece of software I wrote lol.   

• Like 1

1 minute ago, zyf444e668 said:

There could be many reasons why i am having issues with these things. I prefer not to mention it cause it is personal.

you don't have to mention anything here, but your acting is simply raising red flags.
And you can't really convince me you can't remember the town where you were born, your pet, street you grown up, or any  othe single option of the other security answers.

• Like 3

To even need the securtiy question, you would also have to forget your login details. Why don't you write those down, if you can't remember them? And if you already know this is a problem for you, but you still don't do anything to help it...well, thats your own fault.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1558 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.