Can you use Blender 3d to create AOs and other Animations?

Kyeren Edenflower

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4699 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Ok, this question I've been trying to find an answer to. I was watching a video for a wip of a feral avatar for SL and in the comments the avatar's creator mentioned they used Blender to make everything, even the AO.

Now I want to know if that is even possible and if so how? I know that Blender can indeed be used to create animations but I'm not sure how one would make an AO with it and upload it to SL.

5 answers to this question

You can use Blender to create the animations to put in an AO. As Peewee said, an AO is sort of a container for the animations you create, and is put together in world.

Have a look here: http://tentacolor.com/2008/05/19/blender-to-sl-bvh-animation-exporter/ for a script to use in blender for creating animations. The script works very well, I might add, but only in Blender 2.49b - not Blender 2.5.

- Luc -

I think it is worth commenting that they might have meant Ambient Occlusion, which is a lighting feature in blender and other Rendering Engines. Sometimes people will just call it "shade map" or something, but others might say "AO map" and these are with sculpty maps so the purchaser of a full perms or mod sculpt item(or just the map) can use this layer in a image editor to ad some that lighting effect in.

But, AO is a phrase used 99% for Animation Override in SL. So, they might of meant something else...but I don't know what the context was. That being said, you can make a set of animations to add to a AO HUD or other attachment, but there is a huge difference lol. It could be a texture or a Animation they where referring to...buy yeah, blender can do that.

If you are interested in blender for animation you will need 2.49(a or b) and a file from Tentacolor for exporting .bvh files from blender. It is a blender .blend file and you will need to fire up the script and it uses blenders rather complex and heavily featured animation tool set! It has a few neat features but has a learning curve, like many powerful softwares for 3D do.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4699 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.