Name Change Suggestion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

So let's say my avatar is named 'TheRealDonaldTrump' and I want to change that...

I sign up for premium and then ALSO pay to change it to 'TheReal Donald'...

Then I unsub from premium...

"That new name is yours to keep regardless of your future membership level." 

Edited by missyrideout
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

This likely will not be an option if there already exists a "Caroline Resident".

Actually, it is. All user names must be two 'word' names and so the second name is required. You don't have to call it a "last name"; we can just call it a "second name" or "Surname" - in all cases, it is no different from Tennyson, Jewell, or Su - and any other "second name" throughout Second Life. The reason "Resident" is generally hidden is so the those people with it don't keep asking "Why the hell does that person have Tennyson as a second and I only have Resident???"

It is true, it is known.

...and it is in the Linden-written Knowledge Base...

Which states that usernames after 2010 are single words. Your username is actually alyona.su; Caroline's is carolinestravels.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

However, if you become Premium for the first time and hang with it for at least 45 days, you get a L$1000 bonus, so you won't feel the loss of the L$50/week stipend for 20 weeks. That's not much of a consolation over the long haul, but in the short term it gives you some time to adjust and dry your tears. Plus, you will have earned L$300 a week, for a total of another L$1800, even if you only lasted in Premium for those 45 days.  All in all, that's equivalent to over a year's worth of L$50/week stipends.  

true, but.. you also have to pay for the premium .. the total profit is a lot less :)

19 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Use name and SL name. Username as you've stated. SL name: carolinestravels.Resident. Go figure.

My dad was a doctor. He'd order magazines for his office and the subscriber's name was the equivalent of "X Y Lastname MD PC."

We used to get junk mail addressed to "X PC." Sometimes X PC was presumed to be a child, as he had a subscription to "Highlights."

Because computers don't realize that sometimes values in fields that they expect to find a last name aren't last names.

7 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

other forums and similar places if you decide you don't like your user name anymore they would rather you set up a new account because it's more trouble than it's worth to get all your posts and what not linked to another name

That might be what they tell you but that isn't the reality. I've run free forum software on a few different subjects and on each one all a member had to do was make the change themselves if I have that feature enabled. The software did all the hard work. That's been true for decades. 

1 hour ago, Alyona Su said:

This likely will not be an option if there already exists a "Caroline Resident".

Which is what this part covers:  
"The only other thing to note is that the complete combination of first name and last name must be unique - never used before by anyone else."

At the time that I was giving examples, I was not going to go look up names.  It was the 'concept' that was important.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.