Name Change Suggestion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey Linden Lab, I have a couple of suggestions for the upcoming last names.

1: Make the first name change free (first name, last name, or both), then charge for each and every change after that.
This way, we can switch to a name we always wanted without hurting our pocket book, but of course, any future changes will cost. This would be more fair, I think.

2: Implement a check box on the Second Life signup page that will enable someone to enter in a first name and last name instead of a username during signup.
This way, new users can either quickly sign up with a username, which technically has a last name of "Resident", or they can give their new avatar a first name and last name instead.

What does everyone think of these suggestions?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KC1990 said:

Hey Linden Lab, I have a couple of suggestions for the upcoming last names.

1: Make the first name change free (first name, last name, or both), then charge for each and every change after that.
This way, we can switch to a name we always wanted without hurting our pocket book, but of course, any future changes will cost. This would be more fair, I think.

2: Implement a check box on the Second Life signup page that will enable someone to enter in a first name and last name instead of a username during signup.
This way, new users can either quickly sign up with a username, which technically has a last name of "Resident", or they can give their new avatar a first name and last name instead.

the plans "how"and  "what"  are too far developed to change it.
It néver was intended to offer it to new sign ups but it's a paid option for premium members.

You'r here for nearly 5 yrs, so somehow missed all announcements, blogposts, discussions for two years, and even the contest for new names.

For communication about features with LL, or bring it to their attention, the forum isnt often the best place, but file a Jira ( for this subject most likely waste of time)

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Alwin Alcott said:

the plans "how"and  "what"  are too far developed to change it.
It néver was intended to offer it to new sign ups but it's a paid option for premium members.

You'r here for nearly 5 yrs, so somehow missed all announcements, blogposts, discussions for two years, and even the contest for new names.

I haven't missed any announcements, blog posts, the contest, or any of that. In fact, I had made a submission into the contest. I am only posting a suggestion to them, that is all. It's up to them rather or not they wanna accept it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KC1990 said:

I think a non-Resident last name will be a Premium-only feature from now on. While it might be something of interest to some non-Premium users, that will be considered a market incentive. They're selling, so if people are buying... yay.

That said, I almost expect name changes to be offered at a temporary discount -- maybe even free -- as a promotional bundle with new Premium subscriptions, sometime after all the early adopters have paid their US$40. If I were in Lab's Marketing, I think that's what I'd do.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KC1990 said:

They're not going to happen it's been made the price it is presumably because it's a lot of hassle to alter someones name on all their inventory and everything they've created. I know on other forums and similar places if you decide you don't like your user name anymore they would rather you set up a new account because it's more trouble than it's worth to get all your posts and what not linked to another name

One thing I still did not get:

Will it be possible to replace the user name with Name+Last Name, or is this an addition to the user name?
My user name is "carolinestravels" , my display name is Caroline Resident. Resident used to be one of the old last names actually, that means it will not be available as a last name.

So what option will be on offer?

1. carolinestravels + whateverlastnameIchose

2. Caroline + whateverlastnameIchose

I would go for the second option if available (would be even better if I could get:

Caroline Resident to replace carolinestravels

Option one is just lame. In that case I rather stick to current user and display name.

Anyone can shed some light on this please?

Edited by carolinestravels

4 hours ago, KC1990 said:

This way, we can switch to a name we always wanted without hurting our pocket book

...and never, ever feel a need to ever change your name again, cheating the company out of any possibility of recouping the costs of implementing this feature. Sure, why not? May as well just offer an annual Premium membership only once a year for free, too, right?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, carolinestravels said:

Will it be possible to replace the user name with Name+Last Name, or is this an addition to the user name?
My user name is "carolinestravels" , my display name is Caroline Resident. Resident used to be one of the old last names actually, that means it will not be available as a last name.

I would go for the second option if available (would be even better if I could get:

Option one is just lame. In that case I rather stick to current user and display name.

Resident is still the last name that everyone will get if they choose not to become Premium and pay for a last name from the supplied drop-down.

Your current username is actually "carolinestravels Resident" - the Resident just doesn't show in most places. 

When the last names become available you will have the following choices for your username / account name:
   A) carolinestravels + new name from the list 
   B) Caroline + new name from the list
   C) Any other first name you can think of + a new name from the list
   D) Caroline with no last name (i.e. change the first name only from carolinestravels to Caroline and keep Resident as your last name).
The only other thing to note is that the complete combination of first name and last name must be unique - never used before by anyone else.

When the last names become available, the Display names will not go away.  So you could become Caroline + new last name, and then still set a Display name of whatever you want.

ETA:  Resident is a unique last name because it is the default one.  It will never be on a drop down list, but will automatically be everyone's last name if they choose not to pay for one from the list -- similar to how it really is everyone's last name that has signed up since the last name list went away.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, carolinestravels said:

Another option would be WhateverFirstNameYouChoose + Last name chosen from a drop-down list provided by LL, which is how it used to work.

However it's done, though, the FirstName + LastName combination will have to be unique, otherwise the new functions http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlName2Key and http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlRequestUserKey won't work properly and (for example) a gift vendor won't know to which Caroline Resident or Innula Zenovka it should send the gift if there's more than one avatar using either of those names.

Edited by Innula Zenovka

35 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Resident is still the last name that everyone will get if they choose not to become Premium and pay for a last name from the supplied drop-down.

ETA:  Resident is a unique last name because it is the default one.  It will never be on a drop down list, but will automatically be everyone's last name if they choose not to pay for one from the list -- similar to how it really is everyone's last name that has signed up since the last name list went away.

"Resident" isn't a "last name" at all - it's not supposed to be seen and isn't normally visible. It only exists for old scripts that are looking for something in the last name field, and as a non-default setting in Firestorm. Someone in RL in a similar situation put it best:

Edited by Theresa Tennyson
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

yeah... you won't buy a lot for that 50 L   :)

Yeah, I’m thinking 3000 L a week sounds about right.

Also, the ability to convert and direct deposit Linden dollars into the currency of my choosing.

It should be coded into the viewer. Matter of fact....why haven’t LL done this already after 16 years?

See, this is why the numbers are down, they can’t even do little things like this for meeeeee.

You’re slackin’ LL....slackin’!

5 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I think a non-Resident last name will be a Premium-only feature from now on.

So let's say my avatar is named 'TheRealDonaldTrump' and I want to change that...

I sign up for premium and then ALSO pay to change it to 'TheReal Donald'...

Then I unsub from premium...

Does my name revert to:

1. TheRealDonaldTrump
  2. TheReal
  3. Or stay at: TheReal Donald

Who the heck am I?

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

D) Caroline with no last name (i.e. change the first name only from carolinestravels to Caroline and keep Resident as your last name).

This likely will not be an option if there already exists a "Caroline Resident".

4 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

"Resident" isn't a "last name" at all

Actually, it is. All user names must be two 'word' names and so the second name is required. You don't have to call it a "last name"; we can just call it a "second name" or "Surname" - in all cases, it is no different from Tennyson, Jewell, or Su - and any other "second name" throughout Second Life. The reason "Resident" is generally hidden is so the those people with it don't keep asking "Why the hell does that person have Tennyson as a second and I only have Resident???"

It is true, it is known.

Edited by Alyona Su

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

if you have that 50L stipend, it will be gone when going premium and dare to go back to basic.

However, if you become Premium for the first time and hang with it for at least 45 days, you get a L$1000 bonus, so you won't feel the loss of the L$50/week stipend for 20 weeks. That's not much of a consolation over the long haul, but in the short term it gives you some time to adjust and dry your tears. Plus, you will have earned L$300 a week, for a total of another L$1800, even if you only lasted in Premium for those 45 days.  All in all, that's equivalent to over a year's worth of L$50/week stipends.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.