Teleport with only a URI

MikJ333

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Anybody know why i can't teleport to some groups (i Firestorm).  Some groups have a teleport button (easy) but others have a button that says JOIN, and a button to copy a URI.  I can't figure out how to actually get to the group in the second case.  Anyone know?

Edited by MikJ333

11 answers to this question

A group is not a place.  You can only teleport to places.

A group might own land somewhere and therefore have a place that they call home.  If so, and if they list a SLURL to that spot (or if they have a Place Page for it), you can teleport there.  In the specific case of Firestorm, I suspect that you will want to go to http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Firestorm Orientation/128/128/2 , which is the landing spot on the Firestorm Orientation region.  If not, then open your map view to that region and look at nearby regions that they also own.  Maybe one of them will strike your fancy.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick answer...I get what ur saying.  But, i see groups in other peoples profiles, then i type it in and the group shows up. But, there is no Teleport option.  But, it says i can  copy a URI.  So, is a URI the same as a SLRUL?  Can i get to this group with the URI.  I've tried and it doesn't work. Obviously, i am missing something.  So, say you type in "Fast Cars".  You will see a group show up in search.  But, no teleport option, just a URI copy option when you hit More Info.  thanks.

No, a URL and a SLURL are two different things.  A URL is the address of a web page, and many groups do have their own web pages.  A SLURL is a pointer to a location in Second Life, and can be used to teleport to that location.  As Rolig says, many groups do have in world locations, but many more do not.  Some groups do have land in SL, but won't give out their SLURL unless you are a group member.  In that case, you can use the Join button to join the group, then look in the group's Land and $ tab to see if there's any group owned land.

URLs, as you know, take the form http://www.domainName.com (or .org, etc.)  Be careful about clicking on strange URLs.  Those in a group's information page should usually be OK, but never ever enter your user name and SL password on sites you reach by clicking on a link.  Like visiting your bank's web site, always browse to an SL log in page manually.

SLURLs take the form http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Here/128/128/44.  They will always have the "maps.secondlife.com" domain.  In this example, "Here" is the name of the region, and the three numbers are the physical coordinates (X,Y, and Z) within that region.  In this example, the arrival point is at the middle of the region (128, 128) and 44 meters above sea level.

Groups without land DO show up in search.  Lots and lots of groups have no physical meeting location, but only exist to allow members with shared interests to communicate.  You can join these groups, and participate in group chats, even though they have no defined "get together" location.

When you search, if you're searching for a location that you will be able to teleport to, be sure that you are searching the "Places" category. 

If you're searching "Groups" (or if you're searching "Everything" ) and the item you've selected from the search results is for a Group, rather than a Place, a teleport button will not be available because a group does not have to be associated with a particular parcel (piece of land) or it may be associated with multiple parcels.

When you display 'more info' for a group, from the search results, you will see "copy URI".  The URI is the internal identifier for that group. If you were to copy the URI, and then paste it to your local chat window and press enter, your local chat window would display a link to that particular group. 

24 minutes ago, MikJ333 said:

i am thinking the group no longer has a home (land), but it shows up in search....

It looks like you are right.  The group's profile says that a "clubhouse and events [are] coming soon!" and the group's founder says, "I might be back soon!  New opportunities." Neither one looks likely,  My guess is that he and the group are long gone, but you can try sending an IM into the wind and see who answers.  The URI, by the way, is the link to that profile page: https://world.secondlife.com/group/bdb2583b-ddbf-b169-cb8e-883c230cd9fd

20a113f5ffccf1d59ce13fbb91bacd7d.png

I'm going to be picky... 😠

URL and SLURL are the same with SL being a distinction used only by SL residents. The difference is a technical nuance.

On 1/16/2020 at 7:43 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

The above is a URL. It will take you to a maps web page, which is a web page. On that page is what residents call a SLURL, under the Visit this location... button. What is under the button is a URL of the form secondlife://Coolea/60/231/22. The difference is in the beginning HTTP and SECONDLIFE... Both are protocols telling URL handlers how to talk to the destination computer.

A book in English and a book in Spanish are both books. They use different languages just as the URL uses different protocols. Language can be considered a specific communication protocol, even if we don't usually think of it that way. Your computer and the remote server need to know what language to speak.

The form of a URL is protocol (separator ://resource name 

Reference info

If you click a SLURL, a URL specifying the 'secondlife' protocol, and your system or browser have been taught about (think setup) the secondlife protocol, your viewer of choice (or last viewer installed) will launch and open to the resource name (location) in the SLURL. If not you get an error message or query about what to do.

...I said picky...

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.