Victorian 'My Colors' odd behavior

Nika Talaj

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

My partner and I both have seen odd behavior when using the VIctorian's "My Colors" feature.  I was trying to gather data for a succinct Jira on it, but I'm finding it difficult to characterize.  Seen this on 2 parcels so far, using a Shelley and a Hardy, one of which we abandoned (for other reasons).  The predefined colors always seem to work just fine, it's just the custom color UI that seems to have a problem.  OR, possibly we don't understand its operation.

Succinctly: It seems easy to get My Colors into a state where it lists 2 or more colors as "Color 0".  Once in this state, the panel behaves as if its record of what colors you've defined is corrupt.  This behavior does not appear to be related to whether the avatar defining the colors is the actual parcel owner, or another who is authorized to use the panel, but it may be.

Let me relate an anecdote to clarify this.

Two days ago, on our Hardy, my partner played around with My Colors (avatar not the owner of the parcel), then told me to set up ones that I like.  So yesterday, Nika (also not the owner of the parcel) started doing so, using a studio windlight (Nam's Optimal Skin and Prim, no day cycle).  She was a little disconcerted to see that he left a wall colored, but there were no colors defined when she brought up My Colors.  Oh well.

She chose a green using the color picker and submitted it.  It showed up as Color 0, and the message saying that house details have been updated appeared.  Very good.  She chose a different wall, made a nice blue and submitted it.  It also showed up as Color 0, and house details updated.  Hmmm two Color 0's.  She chose a third wall, and both Color 0 buttons applied the green, the blue had evidently been forgotten.  She tried each button more than once, couldn't believe it.  Hmm.  She deleted one Color 0, house details updated.  She applied the remaining Color 0 to a wall, and it was .... BLUE!  Actually, looking closely, it's not clear that this blue is exactly the same as the one she defined earlier.  She tried to apply it to a wall next to the first blue wall, and the panel did not respond to her.  At this point, typist logged her out and took a break.  When she logged in again, the panel still wouldn't respond to her.  Logged in the owner of the parcel, panel responded to her as usual.  Read the Victorian notecard very carefully, which says to re-rez the house when the panel stops responding.  Reluctant to do that for fear of losing colors.

Logged in my most active avatar, who approached the panel with confidence and deleted the remaining Color 0.  She quickly defined 3 colors: the green, using RGB coordinates I recorded earlier, not the color picker.  Then the blue, again from RGB coordinates.  They showed up as Color 0 and Color 1, very good.  She then defined a beige using the color picker, which showed up as Color 2.   Very good.  Typist had to go do something, shut down the computer.  Couple hours later entered SL using a different computer and my most active avatar again.  The color panel now showed two Color 0's and one Color 1.  She gave up.  Today she brought up the panel again, still two Color 0's and one Color 1.  AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

Today I intend to rez another house, and then re-rez the Hardy.  Thank God we aren't using any add-ons, though we have built a couple of interior walls ourselves.  Sigh.

Is anyone else seeing this sort of behavior?  @Dyna Mole (or anyone else who knows), am I Doing It Wrong?  I'll wait a few hours before re-rezzing, in case there's any debug info that needs to be gathered.

Incidentally, a feature request: it would be really nice to have a "Read Colors" button in the My Colors interface, that just reads and lists the colors directly off the walls in the house, so that if you didn't keep a careful record and you don't want to recolor any walls, you can always find out what colors you've chosen at some point in the past, even if you've deleted the color from the UI.

• Like 2

I have seen this behavior multiple times. It seems to be linked to someone other than the home's owner making the colors. If you are the owner and make the colors they function properly. If someone other that the owner, who was given access, makes the colors it logs them all as the same color, "color 0."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have not had any issues with any of the house models, and I'm not the owner of the parcel. However, I have not tried having multiple avatars swapping colors around, so I can't say for sure that I wouldn't have a problem if I complicated things a bit.

ETA: I just tried again, to verify. As the non-owner of the parcel, I easily set up and saved color 0 and color 1. No issues. 

Edited by Sylvia Tamalyn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

During the short period, about one week, when I had Victorian house (The Verne) I noticed that the colours what I defined were always saved as Custom 0. And the colours were naturally totally mixed up when trying to re-apply them on some other wall. My alt was the owner of the parcel, but I (Coby) was the one always using the house. So I don't know how the custom colours would have worked with my alt doing the custom colours defining.

Maybe there is something broken sometimes when a non-parcel owner does the colour defining?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Moles

It's an indexing issue, dealing with the way that the custom labels are generated, so it doesn't matter whether you use the color picker or the RGB tool. The number wasn't advancing properly.  It shouldn't make a difference whether the owner or someone on the access list is tinting the walls, and I haven't seen that problem myself. That custom color system is tricky enough that it is capable of handing me surprises now and then, though. Now that you have noted it, I will keep an eye open. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Re-rezzed the house today, owner specified new colors using RGB numbers, no problems so far.

Oh, I know I probably didn't need to take those precautions, but I want to get this house done before the next theme comes out!  We are very slow decorators ....

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.