How do you ROLL your CAMERA without a joystick?

Tiger Riegler

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1548 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Long time graphic designer, and photographer in SL here.

I'm wondering if those who have the capability to 'roll' the camera in their viewer without a joystick, could shed some light on HOW? I'm aware theres things such as Flycam (which, from what I've found on these forums, and online, is outdated and/or has little in the way of saying how to download it and set it up). And I know that Black Dragon has this built into it's camera controls. But I've also seen that people have mentioned their friends have always been able todo it with their viewers without ever having to set up anything special?

Note: I'm aware that one could simply take a picture zoomed out slightly—and at a higher resolution to compensate for quality loss—but I'd like to know if thats the only option, outside of having a joystick-esque device todo this.

Any help/feedback would be much appreciated! :D

9 answers to this question

Option 1: Sit on a prim, rotate the prim, go into mouselook. Use CTRL+` to take a snapshot.

Option 2: Capture a wider-than-intended field of view and rotate in post processing application with a cropping.

Option 3: Use the Black-Dragon viewer (as I understand it can do this, though photography gimmicks are not enough reason for me to use a specific viewer - so it is only hearsay on my part.)

I firmly believe OPTION 2 is the best, because then you have an original you can always go back to for creating different effects, etc.

Edited by Alyona Su

You could also open the CameraOffsetRearView debug setting (in your Advanced menu) and adjust its Z setting to lift the camera relative to your av.  If you're using the Firestorm viewer, you can do the same thing with settings in its Photo Tools (In the World menu).

There is a control that keeps the horizon horizontal. In Firestorm's Preferences->Move & View->Movement->Joystick Config->Auto Level (enable/disable)

In Debug Settings in the FS Viewer find AutoLeveling: Keep Flycam level.

Leveling has to be disabled to roll the camera. Joystick and SpaceNavigator... 

• Like 1

On 1/16/2020 at 5:16 AM, Tiger Riegler said:

Long time graphic designer, and photographer in SL here.

I'm wondering if those who have the capability to 'roll' the camera in their viewer without a joystick, could shed some light on HOW? I'm aware theres things such as Flycam (which, from what I've found on these forums, and online, is outdated and/or has little in the way of saying how to download it and set it up). And I know that Black Dragon has this built into it's camera controls. But I've also seen that people have mentioned their friends have always been able todo it with their viewers without ever having to set up anything special?

Note: I'm aware that one could simply take a picture zoomed out slightly—and at a higher resolution to compensate for quality loss—but I'd like to know if thats the only option, outside of having a joystick-esque device todo this.

Any help/feedback would be much appreciated! :D

I think you need to explain a bit more what you mean by "roll" because it could be a lot of different things.  Are you talking about for filming? Sounds like more for still photography.  I am not sure you will get the answer you want (except maybe by luck) without some further explanation.  For example, you can  hold down the alt key, click on your avatar and then move your mouse  away from you on your desk and back again if you like to roll AROUND your avatar.  Maybe a screenshot of what effect you are trying to get?   

I'm assuming the OP means roll = rotating the camera around the axis along which the lens is aligned.  If you roll the camera, the world would appear to rotate until the ground was overhead, then on around and back to horizontal and right side up.  Like this...

I can't find any way to do it, without a joystick or Space Navigator, as Nalates suggests.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1548 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.