How do I abandon my Linden home?

MaisyDrew

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1552 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hia

I recently got my first linden home included with my premium account and I want to abandon it to get a new plot of land, but not sure how to do that. Can I get a plot 1024 in size and then buy a house to go on it or how does it work as the basic houses are not great and I want something more traditional.

Thanks in advance

1 hour ago, MaisyDrew said:

Can I get a plot 1024 in size and then buy a house to go on it or how does it work as the basic houses are not great and I want something more traditional.

Sakura already answered your first part, here's the second :)

you can nót put your own house on a linden home parcel, you'r limited to the choice that's in the mailbox/buoy at the parcel.
If you want to put your own home, you still can use your premium tier level, but have to buy a 1024 parcel from another resident at the mainland, or request a part/parcel from abaondoned land you found on mainland ( have to be specific, can't just ask for  a 1024 anywhere)
Keep in mind your 1024 free level of tier, does not apply to private estates.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

you can nót put your own house on a linden home parcel, you'r limited to the choice that's in the mailbox/buoy at the parcel

This is partially true you can't put your own home at ground level but you can rezz a flat prim platform the size of your plot send it to 2000+ meters in the sky and put a dwelling on there

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

This is partially true

no, it's totally true :) (catching on words :)  ) no better agreement than a disagreement 😈

i'd not recommend to take a LH when going to live in the sky, at a mainland parcel you'r have no covenant, ánd if using your tier wise you get 10%+

• Like 2

• Moles

@MaisyDrew  You didn't say specifically, but you may be living in one of the original Linden Homes -- the old version that is rapidly being replaced by the homes in Bellisseria.  Take a look at the images in the Knowledge Base article to see.  If you really are in an older Linden Home, you may abandon it and request a newer home.  Those are in pretty high demand, so you should be patient and keep trying.

• Like 4

Oh thanks everyone for the replys 😁😁👍 I am not sure if I had an older style linden home or not, they only gave me 4 options of styles, modern, hobbit style, triangle type and a caravan, and didn't like any of them. I did manage to abandon it though thank you 😁 

@MaisyDrew go to the Land Page, which is hopefully this https://land.secondlife.com/en-US/lindenhomes/land-selection.php  Make sure Bellisseria is selected under the choice of theme. As I look now only campers are available. You could get one of those as a try out if you like, as currently new homes are in short supply. Things should get better though. When there is more choice you will see extra icons for traditional, houseboat and victorian and you would select which one you want.

Edited by Raspberry Crystal

Ohh thank you Raspberry 😊 yes I wanted a traditional or Victorian one, so do they not show in the drop down menu if there are non available? Hopefully they have more for people soon, they look like gorgeous places. 

The Traditionals , Victorians, Houseboats, and Campers are all part of the Bellisseria theme.  So first you select Bellisseria from the dropdown.  Then, the pictures will show you what 'type' are available, but they might not all 4 show up.  You'll only see a Traditional or Victorian on the page if one is available to be claimed.  Do not worry about the exact style of home shown in the picture - if it shows a Victorian or Traditional, go ahead and get it because you'll pick the exact style inworld.  To claim one, click the picture, give a name and go to the next page - pretty much like you did when you claimed your first home.

Once you finally get a home, you go there and then you can pick the style that you wish.  The Victorians and Traditionals have mailboxes just outside your property line.  Click that and make a house style selection.  Be sure to wait a full 30 seconds before touching anything in the house or before touching the mailbox again.  The Houseboats use the life preserver / buoy to pick the houseboat style and the Campers all have a wooden sign with a picture of a camper.  The Traditionals, Victorians, and Houseboats each have 4 styles, while there are 8 styles of Campers.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, MaisyDrew said:

Ahh that's fantastic thank you so much for all the information Littleme 😁😁 What is the tier thing about that I have seen mentioned? Is that something that affects what home you can get? 😊😊

Think of tier as kind of like property taxes in the US except in SL we pay for tier monthly.  Whenever you own property, you have to pay for tier based on the "size" of the property.  Your Premium membership gives you 1024 sqm of tier to use without any associated monthly fee.  You can do the following with your tier allowance:

1) Get an old style Linden Home, which uses 512 sqm or tier and then either donate the other 512 to some group, or buy some mainland and apply the 512 to the tier that would be due or just hang on to it.

2) Get a new style Linden Home:
    A) If a Victorian, Traditional, or Houseboat - Those are all sitting on 1024 sqm plots, so that will use all of your tier.
    B) If a Camper - Those all sit on 512 sqm plots, so you have 512 sqm left (see #1 above on how to use it).

3) Skip getting a Linden Home entirely and go buy some regular Mainland, applying your 1024 tier to that.  If you get something bigger, then you don't pay tier on the first 1024, just on the rest.

4) Donate all or some of your tier to a group.

5) Do nothing at all with that 1024 tier that LL gives you.

Note that you can only have one Linden Home, but you can have any amount of regular Mainland along with the Linden Home.  That is where additional tier usage could come in to play. If you want, you can get your Linden Home, applying your Premium tier to it, and then still go buy some Mainland for other purposes and simply pay a monthly fee for any land size that goes above your Premium amount.  

What some have done is to get a Camper that uses 512 sqm of their tier and then go get a 512 sqm plot on the Mainland, for a store or secondary retreat, and apply the other 512 to that.  Applying the leftover 512 to a Mainland plot can be done even if the Mainland plot is larger than 512 -- that just means the person will pay tier for the amount that is over the 512 amount.  

I use all of my Premium 1024 for my Premium Home and thus I pay additional tier charges for the small bit of Mainland that I also own.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

Oooh I see 🤓 thank you that all makes sense now! It was super confusing and didn't really get what I was doing, but it's all clear now, it's more confusing than buying a place in RL haha. I will hang on to my 1024 I think until the right linden place becomes available and if I want a store at some point to after I have the home I can get something else to on the mainland 😁 it's so exciting! Love this game/place 😁

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MaisyDrew said:

Thank you Rolig, that's some great info, seems like a right hassle trying to get an initial home! Lol.. I will sleep at the beach till then 😁😁🏄🏼‍♀️

Something like this might help - providing a tad bit of comfort and protection against the elements, etc...

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Allure-Weekender-Campsite/4362476

:SwingingFriends:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MaisyDrew said:

I have just checked the link above and yes I had a first generation linden home, so how do I get one of the newer ones as it didn't give me the options when I got my premium account. 👍😊😊

When you first posted, I suspected that you had landed one of the old style Linden homes. I started to respond then, but decided against  it for fear that I’d muddy the waters. I’m glad that you got the information you needed from a variety of sources. 😊

• Like 1

I got some landmarks from another girl for free changing rooms to teleport to for trying out clothes, so I am sorted now

Just in case the sorting isn't complete yet, you might also make a note that each instance of the practice shopping area on Social Island -- look for Social Island with Search -- also has two free private changing areas.  Enter and you are whisked to a secure secret location where nobody can follow.  (Frankly, although I spent by first year in SL changing clothes on the roof of a building in a very quiet region, I learned a long time ago that the easiest place to change is at the bottom of the ocean  --- any old ocean.  That is, if you really care who watches. ;) )

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MaisyDrew said:

Oh yeah I didn't think of doing that Rolig 😁👍 that's a great idea, the bottom of the ocean, thanks 😁

some of the ocean regions have a Linden rez zone parcel.  Which is quite nice when we need to open boxes or rez stuff to look at

to find these parcels then use inworld Search keyword: Linden Rez Zone

as Rolig says under the ocean near a Linden Rez Zone is pretty good, when we are waiting for a new Linden Home to show up on the list on our dashboard 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1552 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.