Voice Verified?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1517 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Beth Macbain said:

Would be kind of fun if they did, though. 

Have one day a month where people can go to a region full of little phone boxes where their avi can pick up a phone and talk to a Linden and get very fried verified. 

Can we make this happen, @Kristin Linden???

Maybe it could be a perk for the super-duper premium :)

In the end, though, it's not anymore infallible than whatever people are currently doing to consider themselves "voice verified". 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, CaraTriple said:

Thank you. I note that it never says voice verified as what, lol.

I believe it’s most commonly used by people with a vested interest in verifying that they are not a wombat...erm, indeed a ’female’, for reasons various but not maybe 100% nefarious.

• Like 1

When I speak, a sound comes out. They call that"voice". So by speaking and having sound come out, I am hence: Voice Verified. As apposed to being a mute.

This is the fullest extent of the entire "voice verified" profile statement, full stop.

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 3

I never quite got the point of "voice verified". Is it like "I will only sexytime text with you, but trust me I'm really a woman and you won't catch the gay from it"? Otherwise people will probably figure out you sound like whatever you're claiming to be verified as when you start talking.

I'm a voice verified Dalek! Woooooo!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, moirakathleen said:

I was just thinking the same thing :)

But then I started overthinking.  Alyona Su said "when I speak a sound comes out", and when I 'speak' thru texting, there is the keyboard sound...  so ....

My keyboard also makes noises. But for some reason I wear out the white A and S keys. And my left Shift key has lost the t, and the top part of the f, so it says........

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

I never quite got the point of "voice verified". Is it like "I will only sexytime text with you, but trust me I'm really a woman and you won't catch the gay from it"? Otherwise people will probably figure out you sound like whatever you're claiming to be verified as when you start talking.

I'm a voice verified Dalek! Woooooo!

“I’ll briefly speak on voice with you so you can be sure you don’t catch the gay” is probably a thing...but I think it’s more to cut to the chase and say,”I’ll give you a taste of my lovely voice but prepare to offer up your wallet for more since I’m the real deal”. 
If it was just one short voice verify ever necessary, then sexy text forever...an enterprising person with a good female voice would likely have found a way to be offering that as a custom service as well, as an a la carte script reading.

• Like 3

I have a question, and I'm going to start this off with some assumptions I'm going to outline here.

There are a lot of people in SL whose avatar doesn't match their RL gender. There are a lot of people who don't consider SL a game. There are a lot of people who consider SL strictly a role-play environment. When it comes to the voice verification thing, it's mostly a big deal for those who engage in the more adult activities. Some people are looking to create relationships, friendships, etc., that stay only in SL, and want to extend those things outside of SL. There is a lot of chatter in different places and different times (and different threads) about whether or not someone's RL gender matters in SL.

(End of assumptions)

I'm a straight woman. I have absolutely no issues with anyone being who they are or who they want to be. 

However, when it comes to having sex with someone, I want that someone to be a heterosexual man. And yes, that includes in SL and RL. I'm in a position where I am free to mix my two worlds together, and I know that many aren't. I think it's amazing that people who, for a variety of very personal reasons, are not free to live their real lives as who they are, or who they wish to be, can use SL as a really beautiful platform to be their beautiful and free selves.

There are a lot of people who get very angry about people who want to know the person behind the avatar's true gender. 

Would you feel that same in RL? If a straight woman meets up with a man in real life, they dance, have drinks, etc, and then go back to one of their homes for a little naked fun, and the man strips down and is actually a woman, and she hasn't told the other party that she is actually a woman, hasn't she withheld a piece of crucial information?

I met a man on SL. Knew him for several months, but never voiced. I developed real life warm fuzzies for him. We were intimate. 

And then someone else told me he wasn't a he, he was actually a bisexual woman. My trust was absolutely destroyed. It wasn't like we just met - we had formed a relationship. I felt betrayed and tricked. And I did try to work with it. I tried my damnedest, but I'm just not sexually attracted to women when it comes to relationships. A one night stand, sure, maybe. Something ongoing? No. It's just not who I am.

Am I a terrible person because I want to learn someone's real life gender as I'm getting to know them, or is that a reasonable expectation? Or, perhaps, instead of gender, whether or not the other party considers SL a game or not, so you know not to necessarily take them at their word when it comes to anything? Or to know that their avatar is an alternate version of themselves? 

Just to make sure it's absolutely clear - I do not care what shade someone is on the rainbow. I want everyone to be exactly who they are with same rights and treatment as any other human being. 

If we're developing a relationship, be it just a friendship or something more intimate, I do want to know so I can adjust my own expectations of what the relationship is going to be. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1517 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.