S.S. Galaxy in Bellisseria

Nika Talaj

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Weeeelll, MAYBE a large wedding.  They're full regions, 2 of them set to a max of 71 avatars, and AFT appears to be set to 88.

Yeah, but there are not very many chairs in that picture - 32, it looks like.  So as I said, it can't be a large wedding unless most are standing during the ceremony (bad manners) or they all bring their own attachable chairs.

40 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yeah, but there are not very many chairs in that picture - 32, it looks like.  So as I said, it can't be a large wedding unless most are standing during the ceremony (bad manners) or they all bring their own attachable chairs.

What's wrong with sitting on each others' laps? :SwingingFriends:

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Coby Foden said:

Exploring SS Galaxy inside: Spa & Fitness centerhttp://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Galaxy FORWARD/120/165/25

Some things still have the old pose balls, but some things have already more modern animation/pose system; such as AVsitter, for example.
(The Spa & Fitness center was clothing optional in the ship's original place. Due to the forum rules the avatar shown in the pictures wore a skirt.)  😉

General view
2020-01-16_Galaxy-1.thumb.jpg.9c13c5e963eac40fe23f6b9e3c3d598e.jpg

Hot tub and massage
2020-01-16_Galaxy-2.thumb.jpg.ebeb5db6c2ae3f3e14c7a2bd9ba3c82d.jpg

Steam sauna
2020-01-16_Galaxy-3.thumb.jpg.1e33dd98bbd1d68176a9f1c2e503ffda.jpg

And some fitness activities
2020-01-16_Galaxy-4.thumb.jpg.558f9aa4f3d2715cb07ce54188910e96.jpg

2020-01-16_Galaxy-5.thumb.jpg.eb1b80b4a13f67cd43f3d10d44b33799.jpg

(Oh, the avatar does not belong to the scene, you need to bring your own.) 😁 😉

So LL actually update it?

Strange, but... cool.

My first reaction to SS Galaxy was the same as to Mount Pyri. I can see now that this is not so bad. Since this is an object and not solid ground, it can be solved by lower draw distance. Mount Pyri was still visible with 32 m draw distance, from the traditional homes that was facing Mount Pyri. 

• Like 2

On 1/15/2020 at 3:58 PM, Tarina Sewell said:

I was not even in the region today just adjacent it and I crashed hard sailing my boat... olo  But I agree with more water regions.   It wont take long to get bored sailing the waters. It is a BIG reason I have a place there, instant access to water.

I have been crashing hard with sailboats & Jetskiis on this adjacent sim since the day they relocated the galaxy to this new location. Basically, I cannot sail thru the open waters between the galaxy and that lighthouse ... @Patch Linden 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jag Voom said:

I have been crashing hard with sailboats & Jetskiis on this adjacent sim since the day they relocated the galaxy to this new location. Basically, I cannot sail thru the open waters between the galaxy and that lighthouse ... 

Curious, perhaps a glitch to look into?  I flew my plane (01/16 PM)  from Alewife around the Island of new Victorians under construction, and then followed water south towards the front of the SS Galaxy.  I made it to the Galaxy's region edge (over water and adjacent houseboats) before I experienced a hard crash - locked up, had to close my default SL browser & Log back in.   Thankfully the plane is copy/mod as it wasn't returned and wasn't flying over someone's property when it happened.  I TP'd back but noticed no plane hanging in the sky.

Edited by Mitch Merricks
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mitch Merricks said:

Curious, perhaps a glitch to look into?  I flew my plane from Alewife around the Island of new Victorians under construction, and then followed water south towards the front of the SS Galaxy.  I made it to the Galaxy's region edge (over water and adjacent houseboats) before I experienced a hard crash - locked up, had to close my default SL browser & Log back in.   Thankfully the plane is copy/mod as it wasn't returned and wasn't flying over someone's property when it happened.  I TP'd back but noticed no plane hanging in the sky.

Thanks Mitch, I was hoping it wasn't just me. I have actually sat this morning and watched multiple people 'try' to enter the Delby Depths sim, only to drift out into space, vessels vanish and avis stuck in drivers poses. I have stripped my avi down to invisible wearing just 1 hud (9 scripts+11 in the jetskii), same results. Maybe safe to assume that region is borked .. guess i will try to go around behind the lighthouse and see what happens.

23 minutes ago, jag Voom said:

Thanks Mitch, I was hoping it wasn't just me. I have actually sat this morning and watched multiple people 'try' to enter the Delby Depths sim, only to drift out into space, vessels vanish and avis stuck in drivers poses. I have stripped my avi down to invisible wearing just 1 hud (9 scripts+11 in the jetskii), same results. Maybe safe to assume that region is borked .. guess i will try to go around behind the lighthouse and see what happens.

Yes, when I Crashed, was also locked up in the driver's pose.  Logging back on last night, could not go to "previous location" and had to log on back to Home location. It was late so only TP'd back to look for the plane and didn't try again.  Mind you, I TP'd from the world map onto the sandy Houseboat area nearby. 

16 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

They have now moved the Bermuda Triangle to Bellisseria?  😂

Now that would be really fun, having a region close by with odd clouds/lights and a graveyard in the sky and sea of planes and ships to explore.  Of course it would need a Bermuda region name, lol.  Maybe the ship is emitting some supernatural force-field of spirits long past

Edited by Mitch Merricks
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

So LL actually update it?

Strange, but... cool.

My first reaction to SS Galaxy was the same as to Mount Pyri. I can see now that this is not so bad. Since this is an object and not solid ground, it can be solved by lower draw distance. Mount Pyri was still visible with 32 m draw distance, from the traditional homes that was facing Mount Pyri.

My general impression was that most things what I saw in the Galaxy ship are still the original old historical ones. However I saw that some things are newer ones. For example the benches in the steam sauna are mesh. I have the same sauna benches in shorter version in my sauna on my parcel.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jag Voom said:

I have been crashing hard with sailboats & Jetskiis on this adjacent sim since the day they relocated the galaxy to this new location. Basically, I cannot sail thru the open waters between the galaxy and that lighthouse ... @Patch Linden 

yep. that is where it happened for me...

23 minutes ago, Sparkly Rainbow said:

The elevators are definitely not the original ones. The original elevators were glass and beautiful.  The originals were not as reliable as the new ones seem to be. I remember when I first visited the Galaxy, it was the first time I had seen working elevators in SL and I was as amazed. 

My 1st memory of the Galaxy was real working elevators, too.  Even with the original owners, it was a working ship with updates along the way.   RL cruse ships that are "saved" as museums (I'm thinking the Queen Mary) end up with some retrofitting to start with and then transition with additional updates as their role expands over time, keeping more of a "sampling" of what  previously was.   Perhaps that is what will happen with the Galaxy.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jag Voom said:

OK, two things.  If a region is acting this way, you can try to figure out why by looking at the statistics panel (ctrl, shift, 1).  I believe the Firestorm wiki explanation of it is actually more up-to-date than the SL wiki one:  https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/statistics

Why ask why?  Because anyone can file a ticket requesting a region restart.  Go to the support page, choose "Submit a Ticket" from the funky orange box at the top of the page, specify Issue Type: Land and Region.  Then choose "Region Performance", specify the region name, and in the explanation say you're requesting a region restart because vehicles cannot enter the region successfully, that you've failed yourself and you've watched several others fail.  And if you have data like Time Dilation < 0.8 or bad sim FPS or zero spare time, so much the better. 

I dropped by Delby Depths earlier today and the stats looked fine, didn't take the time to try to take a vehicle through.

• Like 6

Sometimes regions need to sort of settle for a few days before the crossings are smooth. I know that sounds like pseudo-science and perhaps it is, but it has been my experience with other region moves. 

You could report it and request region restarts, but I think it will be right in a few days anyway once they have settled in. 

• Like 3

On 1/19/2020 at 3:19 AM, Ziggy Starsmith said:

Tonight I met and chatted with Bill Stirling the original builder and creator of the legendary, Second Life SS Galaxy. He was very surprised by the renewed interest in his creation since it has been moved to the Linden Homes region of Bellisseria.

I finally managed to pop over and take a look. Love it! I'm in awe of this having been made entirely out of prims. I've been in Second Life for *cough* (mumbles) years now (bit of an old timer I think lol) but this is the first time I've seen this. Reminds me of all the stuff I've probably missed over the years:(

I think it's great they've moved it here so that more folk can see it and enjoy it. It did feel rather empty though because of the size and lack of people when I went. So I'd love to see LL making this available for events like the Belli fairgrounds, as others have suggested. Would be perfect!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Connection restored: 

The western passage is now restored. 
In order to fill in the gap we had to move our region called Trevethan over there and we now have two new regions called El Monte and Melville Reef. Conte will be developing it to match the rest of the estate. Thank you everyone for your patience as we worked  on the problem. Linden Labs was very helpful and really made this happen. I am grateful 

Enjoy and Fair Winds!
Patrick Leavitt

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• 3 months later...
20 minutes ago, Nika Talaj said:

? last time I was there the Galaxy had boat rez zones on both its east and west docks.  Are they gone?

I thought there were rez zones, but I just checked. All three regions are no-build and there are no parcels (well, there are region-sized parcels). The docks do have swan boat rezzers if you don't mind a slow trip back.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I think the S.S. Galaxy is now where it should be. I do understand the disappointment of some people - my SL SO lives on the Honah Lee sims. Sadly, any of those private regions could disappear at any time and ruin people's sailing adventures there. They are vastly overpriced parcels/mainland and I notice the regions on the east side of the Blake are desolate now. LL has offered residents an affordable and amazing option with their new LL homes.

I think the new Bellisseria regions are some of the best things LL has offered it's premium members/residents. I have been premium off and on for years but I never picked up a LL home because I did not like them at all. I went to a freebie account a year or so ago. I've recently learned of the new areas and went back premium and in all honesty, the fun and enjoyment I am getting on the LL home regions has pumped new life into my SL. I moved off the Blake Sea sailing estates to go Bellisseria.

I hope LL keeps it coming!

Edited by Mercedes Avon
Clarified my thought.
  • Like 8

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1412 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.