Gopi Passiflora

Is it really possible for someone to get your IP address in SL?

6 hours ago, janetosilio said:

Back in the golden age of message boards there used to be a link you could put in your sig that would spit the person viewing your post back at them. It was a cartoon character holding a sign that said something like “Your ip is 0.0.0.0.0.0”

People would freak out and contact the admin. I got asked to remove that on many a forum.

Those only showed you, your ip address, not the person that posted the message.   I run one of the largest car communities on the net,  I remember when they became big and the fuss the caused.

If someone were highly motivated they could purchase a domain with a similar name to some popular image hosting site like flickr.guru or use a bit.ly link. They could join up in some conversation at a regular place where you hang out and gain a tiny bit of trust among the group and then send a link of a picture of something relevant to the conversation.

If you clicked it, the URL would resolve to their own server and, assuming you aren't on a VPN, they could collect your IP.

But seriously. For those who are desperate to hide their IP address, unless you have some serious issues with SL stalkers, it's a bit like locking the front door of a house without walls.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2