HRH Harry & Meghan retire to...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

the fact that the world is going nuts over this speaks volumes. But, I applaud Megan. The idea of 'royalty' is asinine anyways just because you were born to a certain set of parents, but that is what it is - but why should it be a life long indentured servant contract for the kids? Yeah yeah, she knew what she was marrying into , but, I say kudos for bucking that and wanting her own life for themselves and her kid. Harry can still play Prince when needed to be a good will ambassador for the Crown, she can do her thing with acting or fashion or whatever, and the kid can grow up kinda mostly normal. It's 2020, women can even vote these days! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Jackson Redstar said:

The idea of 'royalty' is asinine anyways just because you were born to a certain set of parents, but that is what it is - but why should it be a life long indentured servant contract for the kids? 

Because that's how royalty works. That's what it is. It's pretty much the entire point of it. If you could vote off the ugly boring ones, it would be X Factor. And that's why it is relevant when those high up the chain start doing unprecedented, or at least very unusual, things with it. Especially when the rest of the family didn't know.

A lot of people say it's outdated and stupid and they're probably right. But the fact is that it exists in Britain and it is a very high profile and prominent role with various responsibilities and expectations attached to it. Whether or not the institution should exist is one question. Given that it does, we should indeed be told about what they're doing with it. 

Pretty much the only reason it is tolerated or even lauded as it is is because working royals generally make a show of being, as you say, servants, even though of course they have extreme wealth and privilege. That's what makes it palatable overall. 

Princess Anne has it right. She does her charity work and her working royal duties, but her kids aren't titled and she mostly spends her spare time riding horses and f***ing off Princess Michael. You know, like you're supposed to.

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I'm actually not entirely sure that she did. Senior royal protocol is so insane that even those born and INbred to it keep fecking it up, and I do suspect that if you don't grow up in Britain, or spend a lot of time here, you might not realise quite what a loony position it is to hold, for all sorts of reasons. 

FIFY

3 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

No, they don’t usually come out and say it, as with the Obamas. They just pick at them for things they wouldn’t mind if they were all white. They don’t mind trash like our current Dear Leader and family. 

Do we live in different countries?  The press was overwhelmingly fawning of the Obamas, and overwhelmingly negative of the Trumps.  This is especially true when one compares the coverage of the first ladies.

1 hour ago, Jackson Redstar said:

- but why should it be a life long indentured servant contract for the kids?

If being a royal is an "indentured servant" contract, sign me up!  They're the best paid indentured servants since the freedman who ran the Roman imperial bureaucracy!  They got roughly $3M from the trust fund last year, and there is almost certainly more than that in terms of income, perks, support, etc.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

but why should it be a life long indentured servant contract for the kids?

My 7xGgrandfather came over from Ireland as an Indentured servant.  He had no income for 10 years that was his own.  He had to work his ass off and he never got anything for free. The only thing he earned was his name is history as being one of the first pioneers as he earned a patent of land after his service.  I find this highly offensive you use this term in regards to "royals" who get PAID. And all the perks that go along with it, jetting to whatever location ... waving, smiling, attending luncheon and dinners..   I just want to slap this statement from the internet.

Edited by Tarina Sewell
  • Like 1

while a lot of the attention is focused on Meghan, I think much of what is happening has to do with Harry

Harry is now 6th in the line of succession. Anyone in this situation I think would wonder what is their purpose in all this

when the person can't see any purpose for themselves, other than opening sporting/public events, and having their every action scrutinised and commented on because they are supposed to be a role model setting a good example, then is understandable why the person might want out it

for sure Harry is also annoyed at the treatment being dished out to Meghan by some of the commentarati, I think tho there is a lot of him himself in this

i think having a child plays on Harry's mind also. I don't think he wants his child to go thru what he went thru himself as a child. Living with the commentarati who were in some cases quite nasty toward his own mother, and he sees some of that same nastiness now directed toward the mother of his own child

a thing which makes Harry's situation a whole lot different from any other person's life is that he didn't choose the life he has, he was born into it. He can tho choose to walk away, which he is contemplating  

i hope Harry and Meghan can find a good space in all this for themselves and can go on and be happy together as a couple and as a family with their child

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, BeautifulXu said:

what is the name of the little boy, the prince? hmm is he a prince?

only those who are in the direct line can be a Royal Prince or Royal Princess.  William and Kate's children are in the direct line, Harry and Meghan's is not.  Their son is by lineage entitled to be an Earl, as Harry is also a Duke.  However, Harry and Meghan declined the earldom for their son. He is simply Master Archie, a private citizen 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mollymews said:

while a lot of the attention is focused on Meghan, I think much of what is happening has to do with Harry

Harry is now 6th in the line of succession. Anyone in this situation I think would wonder what is their purpose in all this

when the person can't see any purpose for themselves, other than opening sporting/public events, and having their every action scrutinised and commented on because they are supposed to be a role model setting a good example, then is understandable why the person might want out it

for sure Harry is also annoyed at the treatment being dished out to Meghan by some of the commentarati, I think tho there is a lot of him himself in this

i think having a child plays on Harry's mind also. I don't think he wants his child to go thru what he went thru himself as a child. Living with the commentarati who were in some cases quite nasty toward his own mother, and he sees some of that same nastiness now directed toward the mother of his own child

a thing which makes Harry's situation a whole lot different from any other person's life is that he didn't choose the life he has, he was born into it. He can tho choose to walk away, which he is contemplating  

i hope Harry and Meghan can find a good space in all this for themselves and can go on and be happy together as a couple and as a family with their child

Well put Molly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

If being a royal is an "indentured servant" contract, sign me up!  

Pfft, leave me well out. I know plenty of couples whose marriages are over in all but name, but stay together for the lifestyle and the reputation. You would think that there was no greater motivation on that side of things than being royal, but apparently not. (And I am certainly not slating anyone for being divorced, just showing how the perks of royalty aren't enough to save an unhappy union.) Would you like having to go to social events where you don't know anyone but have to be all charming and switched on and be sure never to make a single gaffe and be delightful to everyone, no matter how loathsome or boring you find them? Imagine having to do that for your entire life, and also knowing that your hair, clothes and demeanour will be picked over in front of the global press each time. If you're a woman, prepare to be compared to others to see who's thinnest/prettiest/best dressed and then to cap it all, to be told that you're the one being snippy, b*tchy and competitive. 

Your family background will be picked over as well. Kate may be the press's sweetheart now but I remember when she was just a girlfriend and they were sneering because her mother was once an air stewardess, or because her family owns a party supplies business (no, don't ask me why that's shameful, I don't know. I guess it's new money?). Then she was Waity Katy. As for Meghan, well, look at the links I posted earlier.

Clothes? Haha. Sure, you get a generous allowance, but you're bound by rigid protocols of what's appropriate and if the average SL outfit is anything to go by, it won't be to many people's taste. Oh sure, we all like to do the demure country lady thing for the odd outfit, but every single time? Meghan Markle wore a high slash neck for her wedding dress and was slated (an inch of shoulder where a bra strap would normally be! The outrage!).

Oh, and don't try anything kinky in the bedroom. You can't hide the toys and props from the staff and my God, if that got out...Well, maybe if there's some gold cord on your four-poster, but that's your lot. 

Honestly, I sometimes think that the reason it's so well paid is because nobody would bloody do it otherwise. It's a goldfish bowl. 

Edited by Amina Sopwith
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1556 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.