Lelutka Evolution?

Janet Voxel

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 988 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Although it's nice when businesses update their products but to be honest, 2 major updates in such a short time?  So not only do I have to redo my shape for the last update, now I can't use my current skin on this latest one?  WTH?!?!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lillith Hapmouche said:

The UV map, also known as "where to show what part of a texture".

Evo still came in quite a standard format, very closely following the original SL map. Evo X now screws everything up and does a new format, basically shown in Laurel's pic... but you'll get "HD" in return.

I don't use nor even care about the HD.  Whyyyyy????

• Like 2

I understood this X line is another "line" of Evo heads not an update to the original Evo, I tried the demos with the new UV map and didn't notice any improvement over the current ones. 

Edited by Pauck

The main difference is that there is a new UV map that is very very different to EVO one . While using  EVO X , it will require all new BOM skins and make up (I suspect HD make up made for EVO will not work either  while EVO X is ticked though I have not tried it) as they end up in much different places than the ones made. That crazy picture I posted earlier is of a normal EVO skin while EVO X was ticked. Thankfully you can do all the other things you did with your other head including wearing your BOM stuff while Classic is ticked. If I were to get any of these heads , I probably be wearing it on classic for a longggg time since I wear a ton of different layers to get my favorite look.

I definitely see a difference in the texture quality, but I don't necessarily think its enough for people to get it just for the upgrade from regular Evo unless you just like the shape of the new head more than the other heads. I can post some pictures later . The BOM make up looked really good on it. Textures were not stretched . One of the other things they did was utilize the universal layer for the ears which allows them to also be HD.

Edited by Laurel Aurelia
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Janet Voxel said:

The HD makeup is very good. I'll probably switch over from Genus to Evo at some point in the summer. But does the Evo X have like HD skins or something? I'm really not seeing what all of the changes do.

Yes, it looks like it is HD appliers for everything in Evo X mode now.  Hairbase, skin, more layers.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
Separated post because most of it isn't a reply to Janet.

In my opinion, the writing is on the wall for BoM support going forward.  Lelutka have only ever kept the older things as transitional features so that people don't go ape when they do a mighty shift on their latest heads which of course has a knock on impact on what make-ups, skins etc. are available going forward.  Once they feel the new ways are established, the older support is quickly removed.  There are at least a handful of examples of this.

On a personal note, I suspected this would be where they were heading ever since HD appliers were added and the addition of more HD layers confirmed it for me, though I am of course disappointed.

I have been a participant/lurker on the Lelutka group for a long time and cannot tell you how much BoM has been plugged and pushed over and over again, how much Lelutka staff, mods and their bloggers insisted people should embrace it.  Even up until the Evo X release BoM was their go-to message, they didn't even push the HD make-ups as much as they ever did BoM.

For them to now signal a 100% return to appliers for Evo X mode with the highly likely removal of the BoM/"Classic" feature down the line, I feel they have, in no small way, willfully deceived people about where they were heading.
From those who never wanted to go to BoM who felt they had no other choice for the newer heads and those who embraced BoM, loved it and expected more of a transition towards BoM only and away from appliers, who may find in a short while that BoM is no longer an option either for new heads and or updates to existing heads.

I was probably amongst many who hoped that a future Evo head would make all applier layers optional that had BoM equivalents to give a pure BoM Lelutka head insofar as it is possible.  It would have been nice but sadly not to be.  Such a shame.

Sometimes producing pretty mesh isn't enough, not by a long way.  thumbs-down.gif

• Like 3

The Evo X skins look amazing in detail, and the freckled skin is just perfect in all ways. I want to kiss those cheeks.

That was the positive part. Going back to all appliers and not be able to use the layers that I just started to have fun with? 😠

I will not go in group and ask bc there are probably 1000 others that do.

But, is it possible to get only freckles, shine or pores on a new layer? That way we could still wear BoM skins and makeup layers we already own?

Edited by Marianne Little

1 hour ago, Gabriele Graves said:

For them to now signal a 100% return to appliers for Evo X mode with the highly likely removal of the BoM/"Classic" feature down the line, I feel they have, in no small way, willfully deceived people about where they were heading.

Evo X isn't 'all appliers' though. Evo X's skin is BOM, the difference is that it uses a different UV map than the standard SL avatar model, to allow a higher resolution .. At least that's what their FAQ says. This does mean that 'old' Lelutka BOM skins will be mapped all weird (as we've seen examples of), and that skin makers who wants to make for the new UVs will have to get used to mapping very differently from how skins have been mapped since the start (most mesh bodies' UVs are practically made to fit the UVs released in '05).

They still support the old UV as well, hence why there are 2 head versions (4, as both versions have a static ear option) - one for the old UV, and one for the new UV. You don't 'have' to change anything at present, nor do I expect Lelutka will drop support for the old UVs any time soon (probably depending on how widely and quickly creators and users embrace it, if at all).

It doesn't matter what changes you make, or how beneficial those updates are to your customers - a large number of people in SL will always immediately start spewing bile and cusses at any changes that they don't comprehend and can't be bothered to inform themselves about. There are oldies to this day who refuse to touch mesh bodies or heads because 'that's too complicated, the old way is best', often because 'appliers are confusing'. When BOM came, people instead said 'I don't like BOM, I don't understand it, appliers are easy so they're better' - and, perhaps funniest of all - oldies who refused to change to mesh until just before BOM, then when BOM came, they still think it is 'confusing', despite it working practically the exact same way they'd edit their avatar a few weeks ago. 

• Like 6

I am happy that LeLutka is coming with new releases, even if they have the accelerator pedal down to the floor now, lol.

Because for me as a customer, it makes the brand "in", actual, and competative. When they had only the Simone head, they had it for a long time and news came more slowly, while Catwa had new heads often and was more in the wind. As a result, it was harder to find Lelutka products.

It is still cheaper than Catwas newest heads, good for me as a customer. If Catwa ruled supreme as before, I can guess their newest heads would cost us even more.

And what Lelutka did with the universal neck fit! 💋 I can love them a long time only for that.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Evo X isn't 'all appliers' though. Evo X's skin is BOM, the difference is that it uses a different UV map than the standard SL avatar model, to allow a higher resolution .. At least that's what their FAQ says. This does mean that 'old' Lelutka BOM skins will be mapped all weird (as we've seen examples of), and that skin makers who wants to make for the new UVs will have to get used to mapping very differently from how skins have been mapped since the start (most mesh bodies' UVs are practically made to fit the UVs released in '05).

They still support the old UV as well, hence why there are 2 head versions (4, as both versions have a static ear option) - one for the old UV, and one for the new UV. You don't 'have' to change anything at present, nor do I expect Lelutka will drop support for the old UVs any time soon (probably depending on how widely and quickly creators and users embrace it, if at all).

It doesn't matter what changes you make, or how beneficial those updates are to your customers - a large number of people in SL will always immediately start spewing bile and cusses at any changes that they don't comprehend and can't be bothered to inform themselves about. There are oldies to this day who refuse to touch mesh bodies or heads because 'that's too complicated, the old way is best', often because 'appliers are confusing'. When BOM came, people instead said 'I don't like BOM, I don't understand it, appliers are easy so they're better' - and, perhaps funniest of all - oldies who refused to change to mesh until just before BOM, then when BOM came, they still think it is 'confusing', despite it working practically the exact same way they'd edit their avatar a few weeks ago. 

I am not sure how well the new UV map will be recieved. The bodies (human) that introduced new UV map failed. Nobody made skins for them, so it was nothing new from the neck and down. It was even hard to find faces only, but there are a few. (Niramyth's bodies)

But maybe, since this is female heads, it can work? I believe those who zoom in close for photos are mostly females.

I totally agree that it will always, always be complaints no matter what a brand release of news and updates.

1 minute ago, Marianne Little said:

I am not sure how well the new UV map will be recieved. The bodies (human) that introduced new UV map failed. Nobody made skins for them, so it was nothing new from the neck and down. It was even hard to find faces only, but there are a few. (Niramyth's bodies)

But maybe, since this is female heads, it can work? I believe those who zoom in close for photos are mostly females.

I expect that new body UVs would be supported if they were released for Maitreya or Legacy, or Kupra (no idea what UV they use though). Most skin makers are primarily concerned with faces, and it's already been long established that cross-brand compatibility is iffy and inaccurate, so you're already making brand-specific skins - so Lelutka changing their UV for future skins, I don't see as much of an issue. At least for as long as they still support the old ones as well (a bit like how Maitreya still has the onion layers to support old tattoos and applier apparel, for those who want to use that). 

I do understand if skin creators are upset because the skins they already have in stock will be 'old', and they basically have to start their portfolio for Lelutka all over again. But at the same time, if people appreciate the Evo X quality (like you!), then there will be a high demand for skins for that - just as if a whole new head had been released.

• Like 1

I like this from the website: You will be able to use any previously acquired HD Content (makeups, lipsticks, brows) in both Classic and EVO X mode. BOM (Bakes on Mesh) skins obtained before Evolution X can be used in Classic mode. Still, these WILL NOT fit the custom UV map that Evo X uses.

But what I can not find out, is if I can use Classic mode with an EvoX layer over. This is if my previous BoM skin is rather plain and I want to add high quality freckles.

11 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

But what I can not find out, is if I can use Classic mode with an EvoX layer over.

The way I interpret it, the HD layers (which are, essentially, onion layers) haven't been changed - so old HD appliers will still work. The only layer the Evo X affects is the skin layer itself. That would mean, however, that BOM freckles would need to be made for Evo X.

But I may be wrong. I'll have to look at it at some point .. Not sure whether the Lilly head has/will have an Evo X update, being that it was a freebie.

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

The way I interpret it, the HD layers (which are, essentially, onion layers) haven't been changed - so old HD appliers will still work. The only layer the Evo X affects is the skin layer itself. That would mean, however, that BOM freckles would need to be made for Evo X.

But I may be wrong. I'll have to look at it at some point .. Not sure whether the Lilly head has/will have an Evo X update, being that it was a freebie.

It is a full Evolution head, not a freebie with functions stripped, and they say:

Q. Will Evolution classic be updated to Evolution X features?

A. In weeks to come, Evolution will get all of the features of EvoX except HD skin for now. As for HD skin option itself, we will decide based on your feedback and market response.

https://lelutkasl.com/faq/

Nice! Let us mobilize for HD skins on alle Evo heads. I love my Lake head. ❤️

• Like 1

Nope... I keep my Lake head, I can not change any of the Skin Fair heads to look like it.

It is very generous of Lelutka to update it, so I will see how much of the new features I will use.

As long as I love bangs, HD brows is not an option. And I need some layer eye makeup too for when I want makeup and bangs. All my previous layer makeup that I used on Lake is unusable if I will use HD skin.

6 hours ago, Orwar said:

The head has always been a single 1024x1024 texture.  BoM only supports a single 1024x1024 texture for the head.  There is clearly some shenanigans going on if they are describing the skins as HD skins (as Marianne quoted from their FAQ) and they are still a single 1024x1024 and capable of being delivered via BoM even if they have messed around with the UV map.  Just rearranging the UV map cannot be classed as creating support for HD skins in any accepted sense of the term except "for use with HD mode" which isn't what people are expecting when you call them HD skins.

At least the HD make-up did increase the amount of pixels to detail those individual specific areas.  So this is misleading if that is what it is.

These just seem to be Lelutka lock-in UV map skins with no more pixels to increase detailing on the head than before and pointless as far as BoM is concerned.

EDIT: OK, I understand a little more about the HD-ness of the skins now and retract the above part as a lack of understanding on my part.

It doesn't change their rather obvious direction away from standard BoM even if this detail isn't quite as it first seemed.

Those other options will not make it to the next version in the same way the bounded heads were removed.  Those are some of the transitional features I mentioned that only exist to bridge from one system to the other.

It doesn't matter what changes you make, or how beneficial those updates are to your customers - a large number of people in SL will always immediately start spewing bile and cusses at any changes that they don't comprehend and can't be bothered to inform themselves about.

Yeah, yeah, this old chestnut again.  It can be used to hand wave away any critique and commentary but it doesn't change the validity of such things.  It doesn't mean that such things shouldn't be discussed even if it isn't favourable.  That's what's happening here, not "spewing bile" or "cussing at any changes."

Edited by Gabriele Graves

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 988 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.