What happened to the name change contest?

petepetepete

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

8 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

There are SO MANY WAYS to know that. 

Sure - IF you go and look for them. But the point in the first place is that people don't do that - and why should they?

So the suggestion was that any latest news should be presented in the viewer when you open it - because everybody does that already.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

if they want to know? .

If they want to know what?

How can they know that they want to know if they don't know about it? Why should they be interested in the first place?

Probably most people don't take an ACTIVE interest in all the latest SL developments. And why should they? They just want log in and enjoy their time in SL. However, like many people, they may find they DO take an interest if they PASSIVELY encounter it.

"I've got a great new product - but I'm not going to make the effort to promote it to you - I'm just going to rely on you wanting to know about it. Even though you don't know about it."

You're asking people to take an active interest in something that they have no reason to take an active interest in.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, wesleytron said:

Why should they be interested in the first place?

not sure why you'r here in that case,  go inworld wait till the news reaches you, or any other that isn't interested, but i already hear the whining rise... "boohooo i didn't know it and now i'm too late... when was that changed ...." ..

8 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

not sure why you'r here in that case,  go inworld wait till the news reaches you, or any other that isn't interested, but i already hear the whining rise... "boohooo i didn't know it and now i'm too late... when was that changed ...." ..

I'm here because I took an active interest. I'm not talking about me. I'm not whinging about anything. I'm making an objective point.

• 2 months later...

It's happening ! There was announcement today April 13, 2020. 

https://community.secondlife.com/blogs/entry/4114-now-available-last-names-in-second-life/

I also received an email because one of my three entries was a winner. Bellisserian . It was admittedly a kiss-up suggestion because Second Life is heavily promoting their new premium continent Belliseria. But, hey, a win is a win !

The email message did not say to keep it confidential so here is the list of new names to be offered.

A complete list of available last names as of the launch of Name Changes is: 

Conundrum
Dismantled
Huntsman
Littlepaws
Nova
Ravenhurst
Wumpkins
Yeetly
Hexem
Lemongrass
Salty
Alpha
Melodious
Hijinks
Mainsail
Mysterious
Ichibara
Kiyori
Voxel
Covfefe
Damballar
Vanilla
Banana
Pancake
Timmerman
Enchantment
Whimsy
Atheria
Rowley
Doge
Dallas
Jazzhands
Leeder
Nimble
Crisp
Plumday
Heartsong
Rumrunner
Peppermint
Puddles
Alpaca
Float
Bellisserian
Piggins
Cloud
Takeda
Mercury

The email I received today was from Derrick Linden, Product Operations Manager. The second paragraph of it says " Because we have chosen one of your name suggestions for our first round of available last names, you are entitled to one free name change as a reward."  So that implies there will be additional "rounds" of last name choices.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Nota Frostbite said:

The email I received today was from Derrick Linden, Product Operations Manager. The second paragraph of it says " Because we have chosen one of your name suggestions for our first round of available last names, you are entitled to one free name change as a reward."  So that implies there will be additional "rounds" of last name choices.

Ahhh, so ultimately they decided to give everyone a free name change the submitted one of the first round of available names.  Initially, it was just going to be the top 5 and then the top 8.

Also, we've known all along that the list of available names will rotate occasionally - like it did in the old days.

On 4/13/2020 at 7:11 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Ahhh, so ultimately they decided to give everyone a free name change the submitted one of the first round of available names.  Initially, it was just going to be the top 5 and then the top 8.

Also, we've known all along that the list of available names will rotate occasionally - like it did in the old days.

When did they say that? I submitted lots!

On 4/13/2020 at 5:37 PM, Nota Frostbite said:

It's happening ! There was announcement today April 13, 2020. 

https://community.secondlife.com/blogs/entry/4114-now-available-last-names-in-second-life/

I also received an email because one of my three entries was a winner. Bellisserian . It was admittedly a kiss-up suggestion because Second Life is heavily promoting their new premium continent Belliseria. But, hey, a win is a win !

The email message did not say to keep it confidential so here is the list of new names to be offered.

A complete list of available last names as of the launch of Name Changes is: 

Conundrum
Dismantled
Huntsman
Littlepaws
Nova
Ravenhurst
Wumpkins
Yeetly
Hexem
Lemongrass
Salty
Alpha
Melodious
Hijinks
Mainsail
Mysterious
Ichibara
Kiyori
Voxel
Covfefe
Damballar
Vanilla
Banana
Pancake
Timmerman
Enchantment
Whimsy
Atheria
Rowley
Doge
Dallas
Jazzhands
Leeder
Nimble
Crisp
Plumday
Heartsong
Rumrunner
Peppermint
Puddles
Alpaca
Float
Bellisserian
Piggins
Cloud
Takeda
Mercury

Obviously the lindens were hungry.

3 minutes ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

if you mean about extending the name prize to all the submitters on the first/initial list. Linden never announced this, seems they just did it and advised the winners by email

if you mean about Linden rotating new names into the available list in the future. Linden say this in their blog post

8 minutes ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:
On 4/13/2020 at 5:11 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

It is a free name change for those that submitted one that is in this first list -- not just everyone that submitted one or more names.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.