What happened to the name change contest?

petepetepete

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1466 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Here's what I find amusing about the whole name contest thing...

Multiple thousands of names were submitted. Some will be great names ... some not so great.

However, only five names will win a prize (free name change) ... By entering the competition (even without winning) you entered a non exclusivity deal with Linden Labs ... basically meaning ... even though you didn't win ... they can still use your suggestion at a later date.

52 minutes ago, S4mCr0ft said:

Multiple thousands of names were submitted. Some will be great names ... some not so great.

However, only five names will win a prize (free name change) ... By entering the competition (even without winning) you entered a non exclusivity deal with Linden Labs ... basically meaning ... even though you didn't win ... they can still use your suggestion at a later date.

*Linden Lab. There is no s.

I don't get whats amusing about this. The number of participants in a contest, giveaway etc is never in a direct correlation to the number of prizes given out. The number mentioned in this thread (6000) is actually lower than what I would have estimated to be the number of entries. But I guess too few people pay attention to what LL announces.

And no, you did not enter a non exclusivity deal with LL, because you never held the right to exclusivity on your lastname suggestions, legally. There is also a chance that you were not the only one suggesting one particular lastname. So you aren't losing any "exclusivity", in fact, if you are generally interested in changing your name and you do not win, LL still using the other good suggested names is something you should hope for, because then you could at least have the option to get the name you always wanted.

In a more positive view, you could also feel a sense of joy, when others pick your suggestion, because it means others liked it so much, they spend a lot money to have it for their avatar. Back in the day, people had a positiv view on encountering others, who picked the same lastname.

• Like 5

At best I think the only exclusivity one could have to a name is if it's something you have successfully taken out as a trademark. Of course, if you've done that, then you probably shouldn't be submitting it as a suggestion in a contest.

Edited by wesleytron
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, S4mCr0ft said:

even though you didn't win ... they can still use your suggestion at a later date.

I figured that it was one reason for even holding the contest, to gather a big list of names, see how many were the same or similar, then use the ones they like. Probably much less labor intensive to do the sort of 6k of entries than for one LL staff member trying to gather that many. Even ‘best’ is subjective since afaik, the winners are just going to be the ones they like most, maybe influenced a bit by the ones that were submitted most? I submitted a lot of names for my Resident account, I’m fine with any of them being used. 

8 hours ago, S4mCr0ft said:

If any of my 6 suggested last names win brilliant. if they don't and they put them in to the pool of available last names and i see one being used i'll still be happy knowing that out of a list of last names someone liked mine more than the others 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, S4mCr0ft said:

even though you didn't win ... they can still use your suggestion at a later date.

So every time they coin a new name they won't need to first check the Loser List to make sure it wasn't suggested before.

... or maybe they will, just for fun.

At least they won't make public the whole embarrassing mess for the rest of us to point and ridicule.

... or maybe they will, just for fun.

This question may have been posed in the past I don’t know and not really sure how to search for it ever I’m definitely not going to flip through umpteen thread pages trying to find the question That may not exist. OK that out-of-the-way what if when all this comes into action and we don’t like any of the last names available what if we want to just change your first name and keep our last name such as I would want to change from pixie Kobichenko to Shasta Kobichenko?  I wonder if that’s going to be allowed?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

This question may have been posed in the past I don’t know and not really sure how to search for it ever I’m definitely not going to flip through umpteen thread pages trying to find the question That may not exist. OK that out-of-the-way what if when all this comes into action and we don’t like any of the last names available what if we want to just change your first name and keep our last name such as I would want to change from pixie Kobichenko to Shasta Kobichenko?  I wonder if that’s going to be allowed?

They've stated that the name change covers First and/or Last name .... So yes, you could do that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

what if we want to just change your first name and keep our last name such as I would want to change from pixie Kobichenko to Shasta Kobichenko?  I wonder if that’s going to be allowed?

As long as the new combination is still unique -- not in use by anyone or ever been used by anyone.

• Thanks 2

On 1/18/2020 at 1:50 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Blogs are wonderful things for LL news

I like how they tout "It will be available to Premium members" like it still wont coast almost 40 USD to make the change.  Its a serious , SERIOUS rip off, how about, charge NON PREMIUM members the 40 bucks and limit the frequency of Premium members name changes to say 90 Days?

Just a rant here but ...

I mean hell they already make something in excess of 3 million USD a month on land and god knows what on Linden exchange fees,  just keep raping the people that pay your bills and soon you wont have any people....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/18/2020 at 10:50 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Blogs are wonderful things for LL news

But they don't seem to really reach as many folks as they should...

Looking at other MMOs...

I think it might be useful if an intro to the latest blog was posted onto the login screen of both the official viewer and Firestorm, along with a tray to see the most recent other blogs.

It should also have the top 5 entries of 'Trending' from my.secondlife.com and maybe the newest 5 forum posts.

[ mySL-5 ] [ BLOG  ] [ forum-5]
[ ...... ] [ 1-2-3 ] [ .......]

- the blog into could look a lot like the one in post quote above, and the below it little dots to numbers to move to the most recent 3 or 5 of them. the mySL and forum entries would be abbreviated to fit the same amount of vertical space but max out at something like a title (or username for mySL) and the first 80-characters of text.

In other words... make it so people see a slice of each of these things every time they start up SL. That's what other MMOs do.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Name-changing is coming soon. I think this is the first time I've seen it actually mentioned in the Knowledge Base. The post was updated minutes ago.

Is "Agent ID" the same as the UUID?  The examples look like it, but hard to tell when it is all zeros.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I think it might be useful if an intro to the latest blog was posted onto the login screen of both the official viewer and Firestorm, along with a tray to see the most recent other blogs.

The LL viewer (and other viewers that use the LL login screen layout do show links to the latest blogs (and allow to scroll back a ways...)

Capture2.thumb.PNG.485506ef171b9ba70e17754dbbe0f00c.PNG

Kokua

Capture.thumb.PNG.4fd9d79e6aac7394c3fa6d198f4b3b0e.PNG

True, it doesn't show a preview of the beginning of the blog text, but the links are there for people who want to see it.  I'm not using Firestorm now, but when I was, one of the things I missed was all this info that is displayed on the login screen.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Is "Agent ID" the same as the UUID?  The examples look like it, but hard to tell when it is all zeros.

I think the updated article is about. new or changed API for targeting agents in scripts, such as the owner of a scripted gadget, etc. So that if someone changes their name, using this new (or updated) API is supposed to prevent breakage. That they are now updating the knowledgeable to specifically mention name-changing (I believe) is a sign that it's coming sooner rather than later.

The same thing happened within days of the first new LL homes being released. I'm not suggesting it's only days away, but that it is getting very close to being implemented. I wouldn't be surprised if they already are well into testing.

Edited by Alyona Su

2 hours ago, moirakathleen said:

The LL viewer (and other viewers that use the LL login screen layout do show links to the latest blogs (and allow to scroll back a ways...)

Capture.thumb.PNG.4fd9d79e6aac7394c3fa6d198f4b3b0e.PNG

True, it doesn't show a preview of the beginning of the blog text, but the links are there for people who want to see it.  I'm not using Firestorm now, but when I was, one of the things I missed was all this info that is displayed on the login screen.

Good to know.

So it's just an issue of convincing the Firestorm folks to change what they show, since they're the top used viewer:

7229fc75b429d4ffaaffa33a444d6f8a.png

The LL one actually looks more like what I'd expect using a modern game launcher like that for FFXIV, ESO, WoW, or even Steam - relevant info spams you, and a nice graphic. Spam, yes - but when relevant that is usually a good thing, as here.

02c79a99c2c495e4c141f13e06c535ea.png

54a9510aeee9b122a7adeb71c4d72d6c.jpg

I looked at Steam's... and it's ALL spam... and none of it relevant... just any random game on special... so... BAD EXAMPLE...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

I am pretty sure Firestorm used to have info and photos on the login screen; I never used Phoenix so I don't know about that era. I am happy all that is gone. I like the emptiness and absence of clutter - and the viewer loads faster also.  Happily it is THEIR viewer and they can choose to do what they want.  

27 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I am pretty sure Firestorm used to have info and photos on the login screen; I never used Phoenix so I don't know about that era. I am happy all that is gone. I like the emptiness and absence of clutter - and the viewer loads faster also.  Happily it is THEIR viewer and they can choose to do what they want.  

Yes they can, who exactly is disputing that? Sadly this also means we can't expect people to have any idea what is going on in SL.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1466 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.