What happened to the name change contest?

petepetepete

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I posted only three suggestions, following what I assumed were the rules.  If my odds are diminished then it's a shame but there you are.

That’s what i did too.  In another thread a user stated they had many entries all diff names so I’m really not sure.   All I know is i thought i followed rules too and entered 3 names only and one submission of the names I really liked.  However, did not see it state anywhere where it was only one entry per avatar. 

Edited by FredrickF
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FredrickF said:

That’s what i did too.  In another thread a user stated they had many entries all diff names so I’m really not sure.   All I know is i thought i followed rules too and entered 3 names only and one submission of the names I really liked.  However, did not see it state anywhere where it was only one entry per avatar. 

I think you and I followed the spirit of the competition in entering only three names.  I feel that submitting more is a case of finding a loophole in order to win.  I have my own opinion on that.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

I think you and I followed the spirit of the competition in entering only three names.  I feel that submitting more is a case of finding a loophole in order to win.  I have my own opinion on that.

Each "entry" is limited to 3 names, but I never saw anything indicating that you couldn't submit more than one entry.  It never even dawned on me that anyone else would take it to mean that you could only do one entry per account.  So I don't think I'd agree with the assumption that "one entry per account" was even the 'spirit of the competition'.

Disclaimer -- I did not submit any entries. That is simply my opinion on the contest announcement and rule wording.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

Who knows what the specifics are. The rules are all over the place.

For one, they say that the contest ended on January 6th. And that the winners' usernames were available in 2019.

I chose to only submit three, presuming that more entries would be disqualified. But we'll see, you never know with out dear lindens.

• Like 1

They had over 6k submissions, wow! 
Three names per entry were the stated rules. How many entries per email address/avatar weren’t specified. But you could submit more than one entry, there was a link on the end of the submission to ‘submit another entry’, in fact! 
Everyone had the opportunity to submit to the competition equally. Speed might have actually been a big factor because the first person to submit a certain good name will be the one considered. Subsequent duplicate entries would just be weeded out by a ‘duplicate word search with a date modifier’ sorting before a human eye ever sees them. Certain types of creative fiction writers probably have an advantage because having a ‘name book’ is a thing, and it’s not hard to tweak a big existing list of RL character last names to better resemble the quirky style of last names LL seems to like, check them against the existing name list and submit them 3x3. That’s already kind of a game a writer plays with every story.

I’m assuming each person submitted not only names that would be unique and useable but ones they don’t mind having themselves since I wasn’t sure if the entry you win with is the one you get in the prize. Also not specified. So LL got lots of potential names to use, even if my ’Resident cousin’ doesn’t win. I figure that she supplied a goodly list of maybe not top 5 names but some useable, surely. But watch, there’s going to be some fussing for sure if they still do use the non-winning submissions too, even though entrants agree that LL can use the names as they like, (that was specified) but I can hear it now...

’oh HO...good enough to use but not good enough to win, eh? I see, I see.’

There’s no help for that either, some people actually go around looking for things to be offended by and highlight things that will make them feel slighted. Even in a virtual world where the basic rules apply to all of us and the perks are pretend and most are available for micropayment and additional purchase to everyone.  But the people who live by it are always going to be looking for the corroborating evidence for that imagined slighting...sometimes perpetuating the stereotype upon themselves. For instance, all of the Firstname Lastname people have actually already been given one gratis choice of a last name from a list when they signed up. 

Edited by Fauve Aeon
  • Like 3

Honestly, while I am hoping what I submitted is picked as a 'winner' I'd still have no problems with them using my submissions ....

I can only hope that, if the one I'd prefer gets picked as a winner, that the name is seldom used enough that my partner can grab it as well.

2 hours ago, CheriColette said:

Would you be happy with 'Resident Resident', you can do that now ')

Nuuuuu, that’s just evil. She just wants to ‘get the Resident off’. I, I mean she...hasn't even thought about a new first name if that’s part of the package. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1471 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.