How to quit SL as graceful as possible?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1539 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

For you, perhaps. For the average user? not that likely at all.

Feel free to have the last word as I'm not interested in going back and forth on this - at all. The OP asked for advice on how to "gracefully" quit Second Life and the advice I gave covers most of the user base while answering the OP's question: How to quit using Second Life. not how to put it off or distract oneself from using it.

1 hour ago, Solar Legion said:

For you, perhaps. For the average user? not that likely at all.

Feel free to have the last word as I'm not interested in going back and forth on this - at all. The OP asked for advice on how to "gracefully" quit Second Life and the advice I gave covers most of the user base while answering the OP's question: How to quit using Second Life. not how to put it off or distract oneself from using it.

I have always considered myself an average user, but thank you for your compliment. I am assuming you mean I am above average. I just adore you.

Edited by Tarina Sewell

There is some very good feedback here and I have very little to add for your consumption. 

I hope you stick around because there is nothing like this community in the world. Just like life, I have various feelings and thoughts on the whole thing but it is a wonderful place to be and I'm so grateful to have found it and returned. 

Whenever I hear there is stress it is often because of people. They don't have to be bad people who use us or abuse us, sometimes its good people who want to spend time with us but by spending time with them, we don't get to enjoy why we joined SL in the first place. I think its important to be open and honest and not be afraid to say no to friends. This might not be the case with you, but I toss it out there anyhow.

• Like 6

Very surprised no one said so i will....

Can i haz ur stuffs? 

I'm kidding... 

In all seriousness, take a break, try a new hobby that you never tried, make an alt and TELL NO ONE YOU ARE AN ALT, Do wild new things.. Try things in SL you said you would never try.. if there are any.. 

when i get burnt out on SL i do RL stuff.. i make resin crafts, jewelry, tumble polish stones, read books, watch movies, swoop in and take my 4 year old niece to the zoo or aquarium. Just divert your attention to something else. 

• Like 3

When I take break from SL; I colour in, I cook, I read and game and just forget about SL and all stuff associated with it. Sometimes just a break can be good just all you need and hope you find what you need from you. :) 

• Like 2

Why are you so badly stressed out every time you log in?... Well, never mind; this question may be just irrelevant .

My advice? just log out, try to enjoy or discover new hobbies and don't look back. If you have a partner, close friends, "family" or perhaps you are a creator/merchant inworld, talk to the people you want to be aware of your leaving, forget about your store, and just, leave. Whether temporary or for good, it's entirely up to you,and you don't even need to decide that right now. A virtual world or any other kind of passtime should not be a source of stress, if it is which SL has become for you, it's time to leave it and spend your free time in most rewarding ways.

You do know you can just actually cancel your account(s) and delete it/them completely, right? Would that make it easier for you to just leave SL behind, if the only way possible to ever come back was to start from scratch and sign up again? 

On 1/14/2020 at 12:20 AM, Katt Dragoone said:

Lately I find myself extremely stressed out when login in and I feel I've lost most joy in the 'game'. As a long time resident, it's hard to just quit. I get used to login in and doing whatever it is I do so it's become a pretty bad habit 🤣 Should I just pull the plug? Rip the bandaid in one go? Throw my pc out the window? What do you think?

giphy.gif

Why quit?

Most people who "quit" are back later, I find. I've seen many goodbyes from folks who are back within weeks. Some wind up never leaving.

Just log in when you feel like it and don't when you don't, I say. When you feel like logging in again is completely up to you.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2020 at 5:01 AM, Tolya Ugajin said:

Most peoplle aren't self aware enough to realize they are creating their own stress, in which case, yep, their stress will just follow them.

Was going to challenge this... because I've been through a lot coming from where I did but then I realized I agree...

Ya'll know I mention growing up around violence and racism often here... But... while that is stuff that defines me it isn't stuff that stresses me because it was external. Everytime something in the world worked to knock me down, I stood back up - often twice as tall as before. That old saying that if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger is something I relate to...

It's the stupid I do to myself that bugs me... because I'm smart enough to see it often as I'm in stuck in it...

And yeah... I could make an army of alts and it... would only change a few things because eventually I myself catch up with them.

(that said I have also seen people who did 'mentally break' from an outside pressure... but that's just not me. My only real enemy is inside me, just to the side of one of my strongest allies: Me, myself, and I).

• Like 5

As for quitting SL... you'll do that when you lose interest in it. Until then you won't.

A Taoist would say you can't try to be, you can only be; which is somewhat equivalent to there is no trying, there is only doing - minus the verbs (Yeah Yoda is basically pop-culture Taosim, they just added verbs to make it more relatable). It won't make sense, until it is sense.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Was going to challenge this... because I've been through a lot coming from where I did but then I realized I agree...

Ya'll know I mention growing up around violence and racism often here... But... while that is stuff that defines me it isn't stuff that stresses me because it was external. Everytime something in the world worked to knock me down, I stood back up - often twice as tall as before. That old saying that if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger is something I relate to...

It's the stupid I do to myself that bugs me... because I'm smart enough to see it often as I'm in stuck in it...

And yeah... I could make an army of alts and it... would only change a few things because eventually I myself catch up with them.

(that said I have also seen people who did 'mentally break' from an outside pressure... but that's just not me. My only real enemy is inside me, just to the side of one of my strongest allies: Me, myself, and I).

That which does not kill me, better run!

• Like 2

Get a job where all “games” are blocked.

Get a spouse/significant other that hovers when you’re doing anything SL related. Bonus if they’re not into SL, they just show up randomly and say “Whatcha dewin?!” Or “I don’t get it”

You’ll gradually wean yourself off.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, janetosilio said:

Get a job where all “games” are blocked.

Get a spouse/significant other that hovers when you’re doing anything SL related. Bonus if they’re not into SL, they just show up randomly and say “Whatcha dewin?!” Or “I don’t get it”

You’ll gradually wean yourself off.

My job lets me get to these forums and my dashboard pages, but not to most game websites and not to any social media or picture site - no FB, Twitter, Flickr, Gyazo, Giphy, etc....  Towards the end of my days at my last job, they implemented something that prevented me from even getting to the forums.  That definitely had an impact on my SL involvement because the Forums are a big part of my SL.

My Spouse used to hover whenever I was logged into SL and used to say lots and lots that he "doesn't get it".  We did battle about SL frequently many years ago.  We eventually came to an agreement regarding SL, so he doesn't hover anymore and only sometimes comments on my SL time.  Though I will admit that when we were in the worst of our battles around it, I did lessen my inworld time drastically to try minimizing the battling while we worked out the whole situation.

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

My job lets me get to these forums and my dashboard pages, but not to most game websites and not to any social media or picture site - no FB, Twitter, Flickr, Gyazo, Giphy, etc....  Towards the end of my days at my last job, they implemented something that prevented me from even getting to the forums.  That definitely had an impact on my SL involvement because the Forums are a big part of my SL.

My Spouse used to hover whenever I was logged into SL and used to say lots and lots that he "doesn't get it".  We did battle about SL frequently many years ago.  We eventually came to an agreement regarding SL, so he doesn't hover anymore and only sometimes comments on my SL time.  Though I will admit that when we were in the worst of our battles around it, I did lessen my inworld time drastically to try minimizing the battling while we worked out the whole situation.

Yeah, my job blocks anything “game” related, so the forums, dashboard, etc blocked, I think even Flickr is blocked. Facebook, Reddit, YouTube, Spotify no problem!

My husband doesn’t  “get it” he doesn’t hover. But he can play one of those video games where you run around punching trees and rocks to make tools, then punch some more trees and rocks to build more stuff for hours and tame animals. I don’t get that either, so we’re even. That’s usually when I log on to SL.

Okay, here's how I did it, nearly 10 years ago, I call my method...

HOW TO LEAVE SL FOR FUN AND PROFIT

1. Tell someone you are leaving for good (In my case it was Brenda Connolly).
  2. Listen to them scoff.
  3. Tell them you are serious.
  4. Hear them say you'll be back in three weeks.
  5. Bet them L$20 they're wrong.
  6. Buy a raft and a bonfire.
  7. Put the bonfire on the raft.
  8. Set the sun position to "Sunset".
  9. Put yourself on the raft, in the middle of the bonfire.
  10. Set the raft adrift on the ocean.
  11. Move your camera so the setting sun is in the background.
  12. Cam back to make it seem like the raft is drifting off into the sunset.
  13. Log out of the viewer for "the very last time", trying to work up a tear in the process.
  14. On the web, change your account e-mail address to a throw away account and confirm the change.
  15. Close the throw away e-mail account.
  16. Go to "Change Password" for your SL account.
  17. Type a random string of characters into a text document on your PC. Do NOT read the string.
  18. Copy the string and paste it into the "Password" and "Confirm Password" boxes and log out of your web account.
  19. Delete the text file containing the random password.
  20. Find other things to do with your life.
  21. After five weeks (certainly no less than three), decide you've proved you can survive without SL.
  22. Create a new SL account.
  23. Decide you don't like the name you just picked.
  24. Make more accounts until you finally create a name you like.
  25. Find the friend who bet you couldn't stay away for more than three weeks and collect your L$20.

• Like 7
  • Haha 9

I find this whole discussion so interesting. When I left SL last time, I literally just stopped logging in. It wasn't even a conscious decision. I just found I had got to a place where I had all I needed in RL, being in SL was actually making me anxious, the ties I'd had in there had pretty much slipped away themselves and eventually I realised I hadn't logged in for absolutely ages and didn't miss it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Okay, here's how I did it, nearly 10 years ago, I call my method...

HOW TO LEAVE SL FOR FUN AND PROFIT

1. Tell someone you are leaving for good (In my case it was Brenda Connolly).
  2. Listen to them scoff.
  3. Tell them you are serious.
  4. Hear them say you'll be back in three weeks.
  5. Bet them L$20 they're wrong.
  6. Buy a raft and a bonfire.
  7. Put the bonfire on the raft.
  8. Set the sun position to "Sunset".
  9. Put yourself on the raft, in the middle of the bonfire.
  10. Set the raft adrift on the ocean.
  11. Move your camera so the setting sun is in the background.
  12. Cam back to make it seem like the raft is drifting off into the sunset.
  13. Log out of the viewer for "the very last time", trying to work up a tear in the process.
  14. On the web, change your account e-mail address to a throw away account and confirm the change.
  15. Close the throw away e-mail account.
  16. Go to "Change Password" for your SL account.
  17. Type a random string of characters into a text document on your PC. Do NOT read the string.
  18. Copy the string and paste it into the "Password" and "Confirm Password" boxes and log out of your web account.
  19. Delete the text file containing the random password.
  20. Find other things to do with your life.
  21. After five weeks (certainly no less than three), decide you've proved you can survive without SL.
  22. Create a new SL account.
  23. Decide you don't like the name you just picked.
  24. Make more accounts until you finally create a name you like.
  25. Find the friend who bet you couldn't stay away for more than three weeks and collect your L$20.

Love it lmao

On 1/16/2020 at 10:30 AM, Adam Spark said:

Why quit?

Most people who "quit" are back later, I find. I've seen many goodbyes from folks who are back within weeks. Some wind up never leaving.

Just log in when you feel like it and don't when you don't, I say. When you feel like logging in again is completely up to you.

I think i'm one of those people. I "quit" years ago for a good long time and recently came back. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1539 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.