How to quit SL as graceful as possible?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Lately I find myself extremely stressed out when login in and I feel I've lost most joy in the 'game'. As a long time resident, it's hard to just quit. I get used to login in and doing whatever it is I do so it's become a pretty bad habit 🤣 Should I just pull the plug? Rip the bandaid in one go? Throw my pc out the window? What do you think?

giphy.gif

• Like 3

I would take a short but complete break, see how that feels, then decide from there. Many of us go on formal hiatus fairly regularly, for varying lengths of time, then return once rested and renewed with new appreciation. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I would take a short but complete break, see how that feels, then decide from there. Many of us go on formal hiatus fairly regularly, for varying lengths of time, then return once rested and renewed with new appreciation. 

I've actually done that before. I took a long break of about 4 years then recently came back. Still the same as ever 🙄

• Like 1

Some people go in a completely new direction, even a new account but yep, some just grow away from any useful or good SL purpose too, and find themselves unhappy and stressed no matter what and it’s better for their health and sanity to just let themselves leave. In the latter case, yes, I’d rip the bandaid and stop logging in. I’d keep my account for a while in case of change of mind though, probably. 
Good Luck 🍀

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Katt Dragoone said:

Should I just pull the plug? Rip the bandaid in one go? Throw my pc out the window? What do you think?

You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

• Like 5
  • Haha 11

3 hours ago, Katt Dragoone said:

Lately I find myself extremely stressed out when login in and I feel I've lost most joy in the 'game'. As a long time resident, it's hard to just quit. I get used to login in and doing whatever it is I do so it's become a pretty bad habit 🤣 Should I just pull the plug? Rip the bandaid in one go? Throw my pc out the window? What do you think?

giphy.gif

If you really are willing to drop out of SL, here's my suggestion

Uninstall any viewer you may have and take a break for a week or two, even a month. Find another hobby, even a digital one, that takes time,this way you'll be either too tired to be willing to log in to SL or have no more spare time to, or just plainly lose interest in doing so. 

After this time off the grid, delete your account. If in the meantime you find yourself craving to log in, delete the account sooner than the deadline. 

• Like 2

Find a game for totally OCD people like Transport Tyc II. Drives me MAD that game. 
Why doesn't passenger 3.984.720 want to go to Avataria Town @ 9am on a sunday morning 🧐.......nuuuuuuuuuuuu!  😭

Edited by Maryanne Solo
Transport FEVER 2 I meant. lol
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Sometimes just getting a new alt, and sticking to it exclusively for a bit can help (I now have 3, and I'm not the first myself 😎).  You have to resist the temptation to follow the well known paths (stores, bodies, heads, meeting places, gender!, ethnicity...)

The fun of SL for me was always the discovery.  When you arrive it seems vast, but it's actually a very small world.

Sympathy Katt.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Katt Dragoone said:

giphy.gif

Old avatars never die, they just alt away

• Haha 8

8 hours ago, Katt Dragoone said:

giphy.gif

In all seriousness, SL is not causing you stress - it's what is happening in SL (unless it's mere boredom).  Determine what in SL is causing you stress, and excise it from your life, or remove yourself from the source.  Accumulated drama led me to retire Tolya.  Every year or two whatever establishment we're running gets to be too much work, so we close it and 6 months open a new one.  Every 6 months we get bored with how the sim looks and totally redo it.  SL should be an escape or diversion from the stress of RL - don't allow stress to invade SL, too.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Old avatars never die, they just alt away

I think this is true in lots of cases buuuuut then there’s also always that pesky ‘no matter where you go, there you are’ thing. Some people get wise and make changes, it’s a good thing. But the ones that do it hoping for a different outcome without learning to grow and progress away from whatever was causing them difficulty in the first account (or the second, or the third), don’t seem to fare so well in the long run. And outfitting each alt nicely these days be pretty expensive! Not saying this is OP’s situation, but it’s maybe something to consider before people go making alts and investing time and L$ in it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fauve Aeon said:

I think this is true in lots of cases buuuuut then there’s also always that pesky ‘no matter where you go, there you are’ thing. Some people get wise and make changes, it’s a good thing. But the ones that do it hoping for a different outcome without learning to grow and progress away from whatever was causing them difficulty in the first account (or the second, or the third), don’t seem to fare so well in the long run. And outfitting each alt nicely these days be pretty expensive! Not saying this is OP’s situation, but it’s maybe something to consider before people go making alts and investing time and L$ in it. 

Most peoplle aren't self aware enough to realize they are creating their own stress, in which case, yep, their stress will just follow them.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Katt Dragoone said:

... pull the plug? Rip the bandaid in one go? Throw my pc out the window?

That’s like covering the pack of cigarettes with a handkerchief, so you won’t see it. Yeah, you won’t, but it’s still there, and you’re still addicted.

Analyze what stresses you in SL. Too many crappy friends? Be more selective, remove the bad ones, and either weather the storm or mute them. Shopaholism? Stop to actually ask yourself what stuff you need, as in “it will really improve my SL experience”, and what you don’t (the usual “just in case”, or cos cute, tho I have no Earthly idea when—if ever—I’ll actually use it”). And so on and so forth. Either way, find out what it is. Stress doesn’t come out of nowhere.

Also, you say that you keep logging back. While addictions can be sneakier, there’s still something you get out of it—and it’s not stress. So what is it? Whatever it is, focus more on it. Friends with which to laugh & have fun? Keep on it. In fact, stop whatever’s stressing you and use the time to find more friends like that.

And sure, if you find out there’s nothing you actually enjoy of SL, quit. You wouldn’t even need to be stressed about it, it’s enough that you’re not enjoying it either. I don’t enjoy chess, so I don’t play chess.

I’m just saying, attack the cause, not the symptoms 😉

Edited by Ren Toxx
  • Like 4

1. Log out.
  2. Uninstall any client software you have.
  3. Clean up your caches and any conversation logs.
  4. Log out of the main Second Life web site.
  5. Log out of all Second Life related sites.
  6. Remove any bookmarks you have to the above sites.
  7. Clear your Browser History.
  8. Delete any saved passwords you have in your Browser that are Second Life related.
  9. Finally, find other things to occupy your time.
Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Katt Dragoone said:

giphy.gif

When I am workamping, there is usually not a great signal, at any rate I am using my cell phones bandwidth. And the last time in Montana, I was on satellite! Talk about limiting your sl time!  I don't know what to tell you honestly, I get bored. I am about ready to sell my sim at any rate. (oh good lord region for all you bugging out I said sim) Not really finding what I am looking for in SL... lost my way.. but like you... just can't rip the bandaid off fully. I didn't even renew my premium..

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1532 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.