Sign in to follow this  
Sonja Smedley

Divorce in SL????

Hello to all!

I hope you can help me with my question.

Well, when I started playing SL I met a man and we soon got married.

Now after a few months we broke and now I met another man.

Well we talked about that marriage thing at SL and we wonder If there is a divorce too at SL?

What If someone who is still married, wants to marry another one later?

In the case he or she is no longer in a relationship with the previous partner?

Go to your account on the website and dissolve that partnership. You'll pay 25L for that.

You can still divorce your other partner without his prior consent nor from his lawyer.

You can't have multiple partners, only one at a time.... unfortunately.

you can marry without partnering and you can partner without marrying. those two are not related to eachother, although many choose to partner when they marry; or vice versa. an sl wedding ceremony is just for show and you can do that as many times you want without "divorcing". you may eventually have a handful of guys (or girls) hounding you for it, but is it doable? yes.

putting someone's name in the partner box in your profile, on the other hand, that can only be done once. then you need to un-partner - or "divorce", if you want, before you partner again.

There have been requests to add the capability to have more than one official partner at a time.  The box presently accommodates one name only.  Some who wish to 'partner' more than one person will do so officially with one but unofficially with a second (or third..etc)...and mention all partners in their profile.  Still, it costs lindens to dissolve the one official partnership.

Weddings are separate matters, as has been described, and they can be quite costly if you go for frills and large parties, just like RL.

Of course, there is no rule that you must have a partner in SL or marry, for that matter. 

Wouldn't partnering with more then one person be better served by creating a group?

And, I notice alot of people partner with their best friend or business partner, and I suspect many of their own alts in Second Life.  Its whatever you want it to be.

Break up via offline IM. Send him the prim dog and keep the prim babies. Unpartner and mute him. AR him repeatedly if he stalks you with an army of alts. That's pretty much it.

No, I think you missunderstood.

We have no contact anymore, he found another gf too!

So I have now a new partner at my profile too, I only thought it is here like in real life, that you have to divorce before you can marry another man.But it seems that there is no need for that.

So I´m happy and everything is clear.

Thank you all!

Yes, on your dashboard, go yo your account > partners > click the case:

I, XXXX, would like to dissolve my partnership with XXXXX.

And the other posters are correct, you will be charged 25 L and your ex-partner will receive an email notification.

Good luck!

I can't wait for LL to create multiple partners box for me...

I'd like to have partners of different species.

A Human, A Micro, A Furry and A Moderator (/me winks at Mike).

"Please enable multiple partners. Invitations to additional partners should require the consent of all participants in a partnership."

This would be EXCELLENT for people who suffer from multiple personality disorder in SL-although getting all the personalities to agree on yet another might prove challenging.

I think avatars who can get more then one actual other avatar to partner with them deserve a SL Lifetime Achievement award.  It seems there are an awful lot of SLrs moping around trying to figure out how they are going to snag just ONE partner.

I still snicker that's it's more than twice as much to 'divorce' than to get connected... it would be fun to find an SL lawyer to make them pay their fair share of the L$25 (probably all of it), but obviously a colossal waste of time and L$.

Anywhooo, leaving his things out on the lawn in a sandbox might also be worthwhile... and therapeutic... until they get auto-returned I suppose... SL divorce gets more complicated the more you think about it...

Good Luck!

Hi,  I now have this problem I got married in Sl and now want to divorce.  But I never partnered with him in sl.. We just got married and a certificate .Now, I wish to get married again so if I didn't partner with the him when I got married can I just marry my new bf without getting a divorce in the Sl? There is know place on page to dissolve a relationship because I never listed it in the first place.

Elizabethmmm wrote:

Hi,  I now have this problem I got married in Sl and now want to divorce.  But I never partnered with him in sl.. We just got married and a certificate .Now, I wish to get married again so if I didn't partner with the him when I got married can I just marry my new bf without getting a divorce in the Sl? There is know place on page to dissolve a relationship because I never listed it in the first place.

1. relevant or not, this thread was over 2 years old...

2. Your marriage, just like your SL persona, is not real. The certificate is just pixels on a screen and does not have any leagal meaning.

3. People are taking marriage in SL waaay to seriously.

Just a thought though, I know a lot of  officiator in SL are actualy ordained. Does this mean the Avs ARE actually married? This could raise al sorts of legal issues within SL and RL.