Sign in to follow this  
Levidian

Creators - Please stop boxing up demos on MP or built-in vendor

Creators - please stop boxing up demos posted to MP or sold via the built-in vendor system. 

Caspervend and other vendor systems is ok, because the demo box goes to objects by default as a box alone and not a new folder, so rezzing it makes sense.  But when you buy from MP or in-world built in vendor, it puts the contents into its own folder already, the box is unnecessary. It's not only an extra step, and clutters inventory needlessly, but also requires you rez rights to rez it (or even worse, forcing you to attach it to your body one at a time).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Levidian said:

Creators - please stop boxing up demos posted to MP or sold via the built-in vendor system.

I understand your concern but unfortunately there is a problem with MP after they launched VMM (Viewer-Managed Marketplace).

With VMM every single item for every single MP listing is still in your inventory, in a folder hidden in the regular inventory listing and only vieweable in an even cruder and more primitive separate window. With a few hundred listings, each with a handful of unboxed items, VMM transforms into UMM (Un-Manageable Marketplace).

• Haha 3

To add to the prior responses: The box also serves as a self contained backup for copy/mod items in the event that you manage to bungle something horribly. After all, not everyone bothers to make a copy of an individual item before they start experimenting on it.

You don't like the boxes - good for you! They serve an actual purpose for the average user.

• Like 3

When someone says x is missing from the box they just bought, I can check it and tell them it is the third thing in the box contents. There is no way for x to disappear unless they find it and delete it. With folders you can accidentally move or delete or rearrange something when rummaging around inventory. But the box is forever.

• Like 2

I am with the OP on this one. I hate boxed items for the most part. I seldom box anything of mine. You either buy a copy from the store OR you get it from the marketplace - or you buy the CONTENTS of the vendor and get things ready to us in a folder. Even large items with many parts come in a folder ready to use. 

I do understand why retailers use vendor systems and boxes but I spent a lot of time unboxing and then unboxing the box and then UNBOXING THE BOX AGAIN.  It does get tiring.   Also when things are in a box you can't really SEE what is inside that box (sometimes a biggie). 

I have noted several creators showing lovely Home and Garden items in a setting  (and one time it was a pose pack) that stated "complete fatpack" when in actuality if you found and read the OH so tiny print -- only a few items shown were for sale  in the not inexpensive "collection" == and in the case of the poses, the props had to be purchased from OTHER retailers (OMG?)  A pose prop is supposed to be a pose prop not a pose only.   So "hiding" things in a box is sometimes used.   Certainly the majority of folks are honest, but not everyone. I like to SEE what I am getting if I can.  

The only thing I don't like about boxed content is that you can't see the permissions for the box's contents before purchase.

Other than that (as was mentioned before) boxed content is pretty useful when it comes to backing-up your inventory, and thus I keep the boxed content inside the un-boxed content folder as a back-up. Could I use a re-delivery instead of using boxed content? In most cases yes,  but boxed content is already there in my inventory for my convenience and I don't have to go back to the marketplace or use a re-delivery terminal.

In conclusion, maybe boxed content is not your thing and you dislike it, but it has it's uses, so I don't think it should be condoned as a bad practice just  because you think " the box is unnecessary. It's only an extra step". Also, attaching something to your body/HUD isn't worse than rezing it, cause it's easy to add/remove attachment and there's no clean-up required. So again, this is a matter of perspective, and with all things in life there are pros and cons.

Edited by Omega Tunwarm

On 1/14/2020 at 12:58 AM, Levidian said:

It's not only an extra step, and clutters inventory needlessly,

exactly. It clutters MY inventory, needlessly. I have 1500 or so items in my store. Say, 1 dress has 10 mesh body sizes in it. So there is already a folder in my inventory for demo of this item. If i put this folder of this demo (unboxed) on MP, too, it's 10 more items counted unnecessarily towards my inventory count, and they will always be there. You try the demo, and then you delete it. Problem solved, no unnecessary clutter in YOUR inventory. Me i can't, if i do what you suggest i have to keep them there for lazy people like you forever. x1500 items = 15000 absolutely unnecessary copies my inventory totally can do without. And sometimes there are up to 30 items in 1 demo, with all the variations and different parts for different mesh bodies, so 15000 items extra count is only a minimum example. So...

NO.

• Like 2

My only gripe about boxed content from anywhere is the *stupid* animations that come in them. I also don't like auto-unpackers (I decline them every time.)

The perfect "boxed" packaging for me is: Simple box I can rez on the ground. Make it "Click to Open" so it opens the "Copy to Inventory" widget when clicked on. That's it. That's all I ask.

I rez *everything* on the ground and "open" it, even HUDS. I cannot stand those "animated handbag" types. And even when the "Copy to Inventory" widget is on my screen, I rarely ever click the Copy to Inventory button; I prefer to *manually* copy only the contents I want into the folder where I want it to be. I never copy the landmarks or scripts and other non-essential stuff.

This is how I can organize and maintain a 13 years-long inventory and still know where everything is. I've seen screenshots of some people's inventory and shake my head solemnly while backing away slowly...

• Like 2

Hey all thanks for the constructive conversation, but please be aware I'm not asking for no boxes.  I want to address a few responses here just because I think my original post wasn't clear.

On 1/13/2020 at 8:09 PM, ChinRey said:

I understand your concern but unfortunately there is a problem with MP after they launched VMM (Viewer-Managed Marketplace).

With VMM every single item for every single MP listing is still in your inventory, in a folder hidden in the regular inventory listing and only vieweable in an even cruder and more primitive separate window. With a few hundred listings, each with a handful of unboxed items, VMM transforms into UMM (Un-Manageable Marketplace).

I didn't know this, thank you for that clarification.

On 1/14/2020 at 10:48 AM, Pixieplumb Flanagan said:

Caspervend, which is used by more merchants than not, requires that all items be boxed.  I know, it's the end of the world.   s/off

I said in my original post it was fine when Caspervend did it anyway.

On 1/14/2020 at 1:54 PM, Solar Legion said:

To add to the prior responses: The box also serves as a self contained backup for copy/mod items in the event that you manage to bungle something horribly. After all, not everyone bothers to make a copy of an individual item before they start experimenting on it.

You don't like the boxes - good for you! They serve an actual purpose for the average user.

This post isn't about boxed items.  It's about boxed DEMOS of items.  You know, the free things that creators make so everyone can try on the product and then delete after they buy the real one (or if they dont want it/doesnt fit/etc). There is no real reason I can think of to why the average user would need to keep a box of a freely available DEMO item.  Please do not derail this topic into something it isn't about.

18 hours ago, Elvina Ewing said:

exactly. It clutters MY inventory, needlessly. I have 1500 or so items in my store. Say, 1 dress has 10 mesh body sizes in it. So there is already a folder in my inventory for demo of this item. If i put this folder of this demo (unboxed) on MP, too, it's 10 more items counted unnecessarily towards my inventory count, and they will always be there. You try the demo, and then you delete it. Problem solved, no unnecessary clutter in YOUR inventory. Me i can't, if i do what you suggest i have to keep them there for lazy people like you forever. x1500 items = 15000 absolutely unnecessary copies my inventory totally can do without. And sometimes there are up to 30 items in 1 demo, with all the variations and different parts for different mesh bodies, so 15000 items extra count is only a minimum example. So...

NO.

No need to be so rude about it.  A reasonable explanation, such as I quoted from someone earlier that explained how this works on the MP makes much more sense, so even though it's a pain, I understand why now that creators do this this way on the MP.

• Haha 1