Oct Oyen

Is SL turnining into a VR sex game?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 108 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It has been 13 years since I joined SL. One coolest aspect about SL is that everything is built by users. During its high in 2007, it was anything goes; a wild wild VR frontier. Users and corporations were creating all sorts of stuff, including adult contents.

Sex has always been a driving force in technology, SL is no exception. As graphic fidelity improves over the decade, SL seems slowly turning into a VR sex game. I just took a look at MP top 96 selling items, 75% of them are adult contents of some forms. While diverse content creation is still here, it's a lot less than what it was during its peak around 2007.

Will SL becoming an adult only vr world as graphic fidelity continues its march to photo-realism?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 6

I don't see the increase on adult content you seem to see. There seems to be just as much as there was ten years ago and from the last statistics, I saw someone posted on here, adult sims aren't even close to be the majority of sims in SL.

I also don't see SL becoming "photorealistic" any time soon, neither does it push to become a VR environment (in the way VR is currently understood). People who want a 3D sex game can already get that elsewhere and with much more focus on that aspect, which then leads to more optimized content for this purpose.

• Like 9

Since

1. it’s not optimized for VR and
  2. it’s not a game and
  3. only part of it involves opt-in sex for some people sometimes

um...no? 

• Like 7

While you are correct that many aspects of it are driven by the sex realm, I do not believe it will be wholly consumed by it.

• Like 2

/me looks up from her D/s LM catalog and asks, "Huh? What? SL an adult playland? When did that happen?"

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Adult content is easily found if that’s what one is looking for, but it’s also easily avoided. If SL was a “sex game” there would be no avoiding it. I vote no.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Oct Oyen said:

It has been 13 years since I joined SL. One coolest aspect about SL is that everything is built by users. During its high in 2007, it was anything goes; a wild wild VR frontier. Users and corporations were creating all sorts of stuff, including adult contents.

Sex has always been a driving force in technology, SL is no exception. As graphic fidelity improves over the decade, SL seems slowly turning into a VR sex game. I just took a look at MP top 96 selling items, 75% of them are adult contents of some forms. While diverse content creation is still here, it's a lot less than what it was during its peak around 2007.

Will SL becoming an adult only vr world as graphic fidelity continues its march to photo-realism?

No more so than it always has been.

3 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

But SL isn't a game, (is it?)

Well since you opened this can of worms.... lol

In my opinion, it is a game. I know there are plenty of people that will adamantly disagree and argue this point, but that's my opinion. SL is not real, although there are aspects that are, such as friendships that develop. But the way I see it, SL is high tech make believe. Its an escape from the real world that allows you to do basically whatever you want within the safe confines of a virtual environment. I don't think its necessary to have storylines, quests, lives or objectives for a game to be considered a game. But the cool thing about SL--it's truly whatever each resident wishes it to be. So no need to attack me people. ;)

And as far as the sexual content, can't really say whether I've noticed more or less than in the past. I'd say it's probably amount the same volume, its just getting more realistic. I don't surround myself with it on a regular basis so when I do discover something new, it's still a shock to me! Its only a matter of time until someone smart figures out a way to link some SL device to some RL device so you can enjoy your SL sex life more completely in RL. O.o 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

No more so than it always has been.

I bet you are one of them oldbies that still has a prim pr*ck in his inventory somewhere . Awful those things. 😜

On a whole different note : I remember discussing about the arrival of sculpties in about 2007ish and how fast a genital of any kind made from sculpties would be spotted on MP .. that lasted a week I think.

I agree SL has always, partly, been about digitised sex. It's not turning into anything else. The OP might think so, because it's becoming an ( naturally adult ) area of interest in SL to be observed by the OP.

Edited by TDD123
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, PandoriaMoonshadow said:

Its only a matter of time until someone smart figures out a way to link some SL device to some RL device so you can enjoy your SL sex life more completely in RL.

That was already done years ago. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Oct Oyen said:

Sex has always been a driving force in technology, SL is no exception. 

Digestion and elimination is an inescapable biological process that is necessary for all. Seems everyone is doing it more and more, especially the cows... it’s a driving force in our entire planet’s ecology for better or worse...

But do we call ‘life’ a ‘pooping game’? 🙃

please excuse me today, I seem to have caught the whimsys. 

4 minutes ago, PandoriaMoonshadow said:

Seriously...?? I should have known... 

I can't remember if it was XCite or Stroker, but one (or both) of them teamed up with an outside company to create some teledildonics for SL. 

Now it's just easier to buy Lovense products. 

27 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

That was already done years ago. 

Don't even need SL for it.  Smart-phone controlled eggs or panties can be fun ;)

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, TDD123 said:

I bet you are one of them oldbies that still has a prim pr*ck in his inventory somewhere . Awful those things. 😜

On a whole different note : I remember discussing about the arrival of sculpties in about 2007ish and how fast a genital of any kind made from sculpties would be spotted on MP .. that lasted a week I think.

I agree SL has always, partly, been about digitised sex. It's not turning into anything else. The OP might think so, because it's becoming an ( naturally adult ) area of interest in SL to be observed by the OP.

Tolya does - at least and Xcite 4 (prim or sculpty, not sure).  My current main has an Aeros with bento balls.

• Haha 1

Not a game to me. It's an extension of my RL.

Sex? Well it's here if you want it just like RL.

SL, as a sex game, just isn't that good. I'd like to have support for game controllers (more generally, all USB Human Interface Devices) in SL, which the sex toy crowd might like but would be more useful for flying and driving. Also, some way to get the visible dimensions of an avatar (skeleton bone length, distances out to skin from joints, etc.) in LSL. The sex toy crowd would love that, but we could also use it to make sits work properly without manual adjustment. Making all the parts fit together, in all senses, is too hard in SL.

One of the virtual worlds that's primarily for sex has a forum. Over there, users compare it to SL. They have all the stuff above, and now they want things SL has and they don't. They want more clothing options. More non-sex things to do. An economy. Better builds.

Both sides want more interactive control of animation. Running the same anims over and over gets boring.

1 minute ago, animats said:

One of the virtual worlds that's primarily for sex has a forum. Over there, users compare it to SL. They have all the stuff above, and now they want things SL has and they don't. They want more clothing options. More non-sex things to do. An economy. Better builds.

Interesting!

2 minutes ago, animats said:

Running the same anims over and over gets boring.

This was one of the things, back in the day, that used to be a bit of a turn off for me: the visuals that were an almost robotic repetition of the same motions over and over again. Possibly sex animations have got better since then -- but even running a sequence of animations means that you don't have control of the narrative.

When I first learned that there was sex in SL, I thought that it would be more engaging and interactive: that you'd use something like gestures that would break up your *coughs* activities into smaller chunks, giving you more granular control over what your avatar was doing. I'm not sure how that would work in practice (maybe menu-driven, with shorter animations that could seamlessly blend into each other, and allow you to mix and match better?), but I suppose then you'd get complaints that the participants were too busy controlling the animations to emote or *cough cough* do "other" things.

As it stands though, a lot of sex animations seem to be a little like the experience of kind of bad sex. Like, "Are you done yet? Could we try something else now, please?"

10 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

Y’all aren’t doing it right...

Step by step instructions please.

With pics.

We want to learn!

• Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 108 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.