Firestorm performance

AndehMoltoer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I was wondering if there's any way to make the Firestorm viewer to use more of my PC's resources? I've checked my resource use in regions with a lot of objects but it seems that my viewer refuses to use more than 10-15% of my CPU and only 2GB out of my 16 GB RAM. My PC is a beast and can run very demanding games with no issues but when it comes to SL it's kinda bad.

It's probably using as much as it can. If you open the resource monitor in task manager, you'll probably see something like one core running full out, and the rest doing not much. SL just can't use the rest of those cores. You can max out the texture memory in Firestorm's graphics settings, and turn up other graphics settings, but once that first core is maxed out, you're hitting the wall.

• Like 1

It won’t use more ram than it needs, I think most people top out around 5gb and that’s with massive inventories and everything cranked to the Max with large build ups of cached content.

SL across all viewers is pretty heavily single threaded, it doesn’t use multiple cores/threads all too well, there’s not much you can do there

What you can do in task manager is give firestorm affinity on 2-4 cores and none else, then give it real-time resource priority. So while it will only use those cores (and it doesn’t need more) it will be the primary program to use them at all times, everything else runs on every other core.

Doing this with quadcore or higher machines I’ve noticed it can benefit performance not in sense of framerate but in a lower amount of stutter when it’s not competing with background programs or other stuff you have open.

this can also really help if you run multiple viewers, give one core/threads 1-4 and give the other viewer 5-8, easily negates any performance loss I’ve seen with running multiple viewers, even on an older 2c/4t processor I can manage to keep both at normal framerate 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AndehMoltoer said:

I was wondering if there's any way to make the Firestorm viewer to use more of my PC's resources? I've checked my resource use in regions with a lot of objects but it seems that my viewer refuses to use more than 10-15% of my CPU and only 2GB out of my 16 GB RAM. My PC is a beast and can run very demanding games with no issues but when it comes to SL it's kinda bad.

You might want to take a look at the links listed under Lag and Network https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/firestorm_troubleshooting

Lots of good info on the wiki that will help you get optimal performance from FS.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.