What Are You Binge Watching?

Pamela Galli

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

@Madelaine McMasters I got the offer of the free year of AppleTV+ with a new iPhone too, but wasn’t sure I wanted another streaming service. Does a person (me) really need five streaming services, even if one is free? You are the first person I “know” who has it, so I am glad to hear there are some good shows on there. I trust the judgement of anyone who likes The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I might just pull the trigger on it.

I have aTV+ freebie year subscription, too. Which really surprised me because the email said Because you purchased an Apple Watch", which I did not, it was *last year's Christmas gift" from my sister, so actually *more* than a year ago and I still got a free subscription. LOL

Except I'm still binging on the shows I've purchased through iTuines and my Netflix queue (and still want to rewatch Witcher and Mr.s Sunshine). I actually forget to watch aTV+ - I did finish Morning Show and have to admit: That one is a slowburner at first but real intense at the end!

• Thanks 1

This is something that I think a lot will enjoy..

It's from a channel I am subscribed at on youtube called EVNautilis..

I watch this a lot because of all the wild life they find and just a lot of the deep sea..

here is one of their videos.. they are just amazing I think..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

The Good Doctor stays light when you're not in the mood for anything too heavy:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6470478/

It's about a surgeon with autism at the beginning of his career, all the mishaps along the way as he learns to fit into 'normal' society. (Like blurting out, far too soon, as some autistic people aren't able to comprehend correct timing in social situations, "you're going to die anyway" to a patient).  

Many in society seem to dislike those with autism, but one can't help but love this character.

One of my favorite shows.  Freddie is a wonderful actor, playing that role so well.  He also did the creepy Norman Bates in the Bates Motel show, which is where I fell in love with his acting ability.  I'm now checking out various things that he's done in the past.

• Like 1

Wu Assassins:

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/netflix/282707/wu-assassins-review

- It's randomly really good or really bad...

The scenes that take place in 'super hero hideout space' are bad... the actress that trains Kai Jin seems stilted and forced in her dialogue...

The scenes in San Francisco are mostly good.
The scenes with the Triad randomly killing people are... absurd and not realistic to the gangs...

But somehow it holds together anyway.

One thing I really like is the main villain and the hero... like and help each other. And arguably inspired each other to be the person they are (and not as a revenge arc, but the hero gets his morality from being taught to do the right thing by... the villain...). It's a much more intertwined hero/villain relationship than your typical 'super-hero' story with both characters coming out deeply developed. Not all the way through but scanning the previews of upcoming episodes it looks like they also team up eventually.

The only odd thing is... the folks in Chinatown seem to be in too much of a Chinese enclave. San Francisco is too integrated of a city for anyone of any ethnicity to be in an enclave like that unless you're something like a White person recently from the midwest (and not a local).

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

18 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I forgot to mention that I'm a Tig Notaro fan and really enjoyed her short lived series "One Mississippi".

Ohhh, I really liked that show and her dry humor...was disappointed there would be no season 3.

Edited by Luna Bliss

16 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:
18 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I forgot to mention that I'm a Tig Notaro fan and really enjoyed her short lived series "One Mississippi".

Ohhh, I really liked that show and her dry humor...was disappointed there would be no season 3.

Tig often comments about her flat chest. When she was diagnosed with breast cancer years ago, she joked that her boobs had got tired of her constant derision and said "Hey, let's kill her!"

I didn't realize my tiny boobs could hear. I will forever blame Tig for setting them on the road to my attempted destruction.

On my first day of chemo, after the nurses hooked me up to the IV pump and began poisoning me with Taxotere, I distracted myself by watching the TV in the room. The first commercial break was occupied entirely by a class action lawsuit advertisement for people who'd been administered... Taxotere.

Life is good.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Tig often comments about her flat chest. When she was diagnosed with breast cancer years ago, she joked that her boobs had got tired of her constant derision and said "Hey, let's kill her!"

I didn't realize my tiny boobs could hear. I will forever blame Tig for setting them on the road to my attempted destruction.

That's right...I remember that about her now.  Is she a trans man or was she just joking about the fact that her breasts were small?  I saw her RL and show partner in the new The L Word - Generation Q btw.

Do you mean you have dealt with breast cancer?   :(

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

That's right...I remember that about her now.  Is she a trans man or was she just joking about the fact that her breasts were small?  I saw her RL and show partner in the new The L Word - Generation Q btw.

Do you mean you have dealt with breast cancer?   :(

Tig's a lesbian with tiny, once cancerous boobs. My physique is like hers, but shorter.

As for the breast cancer, I seems I'll be dealing with it forever. My cancer feeds on estrogen, so I'll be taking estrogen receptor blocking drugs for the rest of my life. Though I don't care much for the side effects, I hope to complain about them for a very long time.

• Sad 3

20 hours ago, Eva Knoller said:

@Madelaine McMasters I got the offer of the free year of AppleTV+ with a new iPhone too, but wasn’t sure I wanted another streaming service. Does a person (me) really need five streaming services, even if one is free? You are the first person I “know” who has it, so I am glad to hear there are some good shows on there. I trust the judgement of anyone who likes The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I might just pull the trigger on it.

Careful Eva. She also likes "Barry", and finds it aspirational.

Surely there are better people for you to trust.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I don't understand why, after all these years, and the "War On Cancer" from what, 40 - 50 years ago, there still has not been much progress in the treatment of cancer...

There are over 100 different kinds of cancer, and within those kinds (like "breast") there are many variations. As a result, there's no one approach that will work. There actually has been significant progress, but it's a large and complex problem.

I am fascinated by gene editing techniques such as CRISPR/CAS9 and the newer and more powerful "Prime Editing". Fixing the broken generic machinery that is cancer is appealing.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
Misspelled CRISPR!
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I don't understand why, after all these years, and the "War On Cancer" from what, 40 - 50 years ago, there still has not been much progress in the treatment of cancer...

My daughter did her PHD work on molecular biology & drug bindings.  She said that given all of the complexities around cancer (types, etc... as Maddie said), despite the progress made, she does not believe that we'll see an actual "cure" or "vaccine" anytime within her lifetime - she's 30 right now.  :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/23/2020 at 12:58 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:
On 1/23/2020 at 11:06 AM, Luna Bliss said:

The Good Doctor stays light when you're not in the mood for anything too heavy:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6470478/

It's about a surgeon with autism at the beginning of his career, all the mishaps along the way as he learns to fit into 'normal' society. (Like blurting out, far too soon, as some autistic people aren't able to comprehend correct timing in social situations, "you're going to die anyway" to a patient).  

Many in society seem to dislike those with autism, but one can't help but love this character.

One of my favorite shows.  Freddie is a wonderful actor, playing that role so well.  He also did the creepy Norman Bates in the Bates Motel show, which is where I fell in love with his acting ability.  I'm now checking out various things that he's done in the past.

He is such an amazing actor, and I'd watch him in nearly anything he participated in too...the problem is that he's so young he hasn't done a whole lot! 

• Like 1

I've just finished episode 2 of the recent BBC Dracula season. It's taken a couple of days, but based on my TV habits, that counts as binge watching to me.

I'm not keen on the Count's smarmy bravado, but Agatha Van Helsing more than makes up for it..

• Like 2

On 1/24/2020 at 10:01 AM, Luna Bliss said:

There has been a LOT of progress.  I'm not a medical professional or a molecular biologist, so I won't presume to give details.  But the survival rate for a lot of cancers is way better than it was 40 years ago, or even 20.  They can even completely cure some forms of cancer.

But there is still a long way to go, as LittleMe says.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 7:01 AM, Luna Bliss said:

40-50 years ago they basically took you out back behind the shed and tossed you in a pit alongside Ol' Yeller. Now we've got people living for years in remission, getting cured, and so on.

The most bizarre recent treatment I've heard of is using a special strain of HIV re-engineered to only go after cancer cells...
- the cure for these two things might eventually link up in some crazy lab - at least as long as it happens outside the USA. In the USA they will lock that cure in a vault because the profit is in keeping people alive on your drug cocktails, not curing them...

Just now, Pussycat Catnap said:

In the USA they will lock that cure in a vault because the profit is in keeping people alive on your drug cocktails, not curing them...

My BFF has considered quitting her job at a major pharmaceutical company because, during the periodic research reviews, it's becoming increasingly clear that the company is not interested in cures, but rather in "maintenance". Cure a patient, lose a customer. But, if you can maintain the illness as a chronic condition, you've got a customer for life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1390 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.