You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am trying to decide if I want to try out being a mother in SL before it happens outside my control in RL. I hear a lot about Zooby Babies but all i can find in world are foster babies, clothes and cribs. And I hear about the Zooby baby lag. I have seen babies galore in my life all around me and have a feeling for that. But what can prepare me for the actual birth process? Can someone help.

Does anyone try to at least simulate some of issues that a pregnant girl needs to know might be in her future? I am thinking probably not because there is no way in SL you can simulate RL pain, especially the pain of giving birth.  Even so, I ask the question. And comments would be appreciated. 

Edited by AnnieHottie38

I’m not sure what you mean about motherhood happening IRL ‘outside your control’.

If I were pregnant, I’d be more into supporting, learning about and experiencing my RL pregnancy, making my birth plan and doing the RL ‘nesting’ and prep that some do before giving birth...rather than starting a baby simulation. I know there are pregnancy systems, clinics, doulas and birth centers in SL, I’m just not sure how much of it is RP and how much is something that might be actual useful information for a RL pregnancy.  I would consider consulting a doula in SL though, to maybe help me with my birthing plan and other choices. I’m not sure if there are things like Lamaze or other classes inworld but I’d probably check.

That said, I’m sure lots of people do enjoy the Zooby babies for a variety of reasons, and I’ve seen sets of pregnancy shapes too. I’ve observed additionally that most people are really annoyed by pregnancy tummy talkers in public and that many people will also have no interest in anyone’s SL representation of pregnancy or parenting at all, seeing it as a type of RP, and many just don’t want to be involved and play along in it. That can hurt some people’s feelings because they take it more seriously. Just a few thoughts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The sim is Zoobyville and the main creator behind the project is Carrie Tatsu. It's a bit ironic that you get matching results when searching for "Zooby's".

9 hours ago, AnnieHottie38 said:

But what can prepare me for the actual birth process? 

Well... a real class in first life?

Afraid you might be overestimating the possibilities of simulation in SL. Most "simulations" are roleplay, make believe, merely messing with your mind, which actually sounds more negative than it should...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fraid you will not really learn anything about real life motherhood in Second Life - pretend babies are just that - pretend. They do not act or react life a real baby and despite the best intentions of those who try to RP they do not treat them the same (i.e. they log off and leave them unattended for hours).

If you want to learn about real life motherhood I'd suggest you to some local mother and baby groups and see if they provide or know of any information sessions.

• Thanks 1

Yeah... RL parenthood, pregnancy, and childbirth cannot possibly be simulated accurately. 

Source:  spawned twice, RL.  They're delights, but you're never ever fully prepared for the entirety of it all.  It's one of the best on-the-job training experiences extant.

Edited by Ajay McDowwll
I forgot my italics :P
  • Like 3

Thanks to all of your for you good advice. I got carried away in seeing SL having any real value on this issue. Yes, those are good suggestions about taking the classes or attending mommy meetings. I just wondered if this new thing for me, Second Life had anything to offer. 

Fauve, I think you hit the nail on the head. I was assuming Zoobies involved the whole process (having seen the pregnancy shapes somewhere) But as I said in my ordinal post, a significant part of the RL is the pain of childbirth followed by the euphoria of a successful birth.

Thanks again to all.

19 hours ago, AnnieHottie38 said:

I got carried away 

a significant part of the RL is the pain of childbirth followed by the euphoria of a successful birth.

don''t forget a lot of women don't end on the pink cloud/dream, ... sleepless months... truckloads of stinky diapers, health problems for the child and mum, financial impact.... and a lot more
also Postnatal depression is a wide spread problem.
Not to depress you on forehand.. but read and prepare yourself as much as possible, not only to prevent, but also how to find help if you need it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Alwin,

I have only begun my research on motherhood and already this forum has given me a wealth of info. Postnatal Depression is one that I had overlooked. I am sure it's because of my youth but, Alwin, now I see from my quick look at the Wiki that Postnatal Depression is indeed a major issue.

Thanks to all of you!

On 1/10/2020 at 7:00 PM, AnnieHottie38 said:

before it happens outside my control in RL

I don't know your situation, but I sincerely hope that you do have some control over whether or not you become pregnant.

On 1/11/2020 at 9:00 AM, AnnieHottie38 said:

a significant part of the RL is the pain of childbirth followed by the euphoria of a successful birth.

There is so much more than this, and boiling it down to just that doesn't do any justice to the whole miracle of having a little baby - who quickly becomes their own person and personality shortly after birth.  I would hazard a guess that even for those who didn't enjoy being pregnant, or had a lot of morning sickness or other health issues with it, that there are moments that stand out as unique and special - like the first time you hear the baby's heart beat, or the first time you see the baby from a sonogram, or the first time you feel the baby move, or later on, when you can actually see the movement on your skin from its kicking...   the first time you hold the baby to your breast and the baby looks up into your eyes...

This isn't to say that many of the things Alwin mentioned may or may not happen, depending on circumstances and situations.  But the whole picture is something much larger and much more wonderful than just "the pain of childbirth followed by the euphoria of a successful birth".

Also not all women want to become a mother and raise children, so you might want to also look into what means or control you do have to not become pregnant, if you are not sure about motherhood.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
On 1/15/2020 at 3:37 AM, Gadget Portal said:

"I'm telling you, I tripped over the edge of the sidewalk, next thing I knew we were both naked! There was no way to stop it!"

It's happened with you as well?  Now my wife need to believe me. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 405 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.