Which UV map to use for BOM

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1198 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I want to create some lipstick and I was wondering which UV map to use.. do I use just a plain old lip UV map or the whole head/face UV map?

I have dev kits for the Lelutka Evolution heads, pretty sure I have Catwa too as all Catwa heads come with a texture dev kit with scripts for appliers, and I'm sure I can find the UV maps for classic avatars...

What my plan is, is to use the BOM system, aka the classic avatar system to apply on both classic and mesh heads.. And all heads (or all the popular ones like Genus, Catwa, Lelutka, AK, etc, etc...) are now BOM, so. I figured go with BOM and if requested, go with an applier system like Omega (to cover all that use omega).'

So in short, for BOM, do I use the whole head UV, or just the lip UV?

EDIT: Another thing is how do I turn the texture into a wearable texture too?

Edited by Muiregwen

If you're creating makeup intended to be used with the standard skin layout, you should use the whole head UV.

When it comes to Omega, not all heads use the exact same layout. For example, Omega has a "nipple" option that's different from the whole torso. Some mesh uses that slot, others don't. The same applies to face makeup, though I don't recall which heads use a separate lip slot texture and what that's called in Omega. 

• 2 weeks later...

Even if it`s BoM (or Omega), it does not guarantee it will work across brands, UV mapping is slightly different and what works for LeLutka, won`t always work for Catwa or Genus etc.  so unfortunately, you will have to work with brand specific UVs...not for all parts, but in my experience, lipstick, eyebrows and lashes are the least compatible, luckily freckles, eye shadow, highlighters and such can be reused without much or any modifications.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 6:05 AM, Muiregwen said:

I want to create some lipstick and I was wondering which UV map to use.. do I use just a plain old lip UV map or the whole head/face UV map?

I have dev kits for the Lelutka Evolution heads, pretty sure I have Catwa too as all Catwa heads come with a texture dev kit with scripts for appliers, and I'm sure I can find the UV maps for classic avatars...

What my plan is, is to use the BOM system, aka the classic avatar system to apply on both classic and mesh heads.. And all heads (or all the popular ones like Genus, Catwa, Lelutka, AK, etc, etc...) are now BOM, so. I figured go with BOM and if requested, go with an applier system like Omega (to cover all that use omega).'

Works with ALL BAKES ON MESH: https://www.robinwood.com/Catalog/Technical/SL-Tuts/SLPages/AVUVTemplates.html

@MaxMare: FYI

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Sure, but if the mesh you're applying textures to has a UV layout that differs from your template, you'll see distortion/seams.

A good example is toes. Maitreya and Freya are both based on the default LL UV, but if you take a texture tested for Freya, you'll see a different result on Maitreya and vice versa. Same thing with inner thighs and even nipple placement between some bodies. This is just a byproduct of how the UV layout is transferred from the default avatar to a new model. It's unavoidable to some degree even if most of the problems can be fixed. There can't be a universal template that "works for all bodies" because the bodies themselves have at least minor differences in UV layouts.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Sure, but if the mesh you're applying textures to has a UV layout that differs from your template, you'll see distortion/seams.

That would be an issue with the mesh - and I am referring to avatar, not attachments.

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Umm...what?
The OP said: "What my plan is, is to use the BOM system, aka the classic avatar system to apply on both classic and mesh heads." 

The way I understand understand things is that the Robinwood template works well only on those mesh heads which use exactly that UV template (and naturally it works well with system avatar). Unfortunately some mesh heads use their own modified UV layout. For those heads which have different UV than the system avatar one needs to use the UV provided for the specific mesh head. There is no universal "one template fits all".

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Coby Foden said:

Umm...what?
The OP said: "What my plan is, is to use the BOM system, aka the classic avatar system to apply on both classic and mesh heads." 

The way I understand understand things is that the Robinwood template works well only on those mesh heads which use exactly that UV template (and naturally it works well with system avatar). Unfortunately some mesh heads use their own modified UV layout. For those heads which have different UV than the system avatar one needs to use the UV provided for the specific mesh head. There is no universal "one template fits all".

Omega system takes about ten seconds to set up (and the Dev kit is FREE.) Same texture UUID that goes onto system layer goes into Omega script. There is no difference. And this is the point: Omega does what BOM does - uses the standard SL avatar UV  and remaps them to whatever is required for the specific brand of mesh being applied to. Bakes on mesh uses the same method, except it is the mesh creator who maps the standard UV (the BOM base textures) to wherver UV is required for their own creation.

The entire point of BOM is to allow system layer textures to be mapped onto mesh. System layer texture are always based on the standard Second Life Avatar UV.

Every.

Single.

Time.

And for the record the Robin Wood UV images are nothing kore than enhanced versions of the standard LL UV textures. I was there, running around with her and other well-knowns in my friends list (and actually hanging out with each other) back in 2006 when these were *created*. I'm only saying that I've been in SL for a few enough days to know what I am describing. :)

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Alyona Su said:

Omega system takes about ten seconds to set up (and the Dev kit is FREE.) Same texture UUID that goes onto system layer goes into Omega script. There is no difference. And this is the point: Omega does what BOM does - uses the standard SL avatar UV  and remaps them to whatever is required for the specific brand of mesh being applied to. Bakes on mesh uses the same method, except it is the mesh creator who maps the standard UV (the BOM base textures) to wherver UV is required for their own creation.

The entire point of BOM is to allow system layer textures to be mapped onto mesh. System layer texture are always based on the standard Second Life Avatar UV. Every. Single. Time.

And for the record the Robin Wood UV images are nothing kore than enhanced versions of the standard LL UV textures. I was there, running around with her and other well-knowns in my friends list (and actually hanging out with each other) back in 2006 when these were *created*. I'm only saying that I've been in SL for a few enough days to know what I am describing. :)

You must not have used multiple mesh bodies then. There's no way you'd say any of that if you had ever tried using an Omega applier on two different bodies and actually paid attention to what the body looks like afterwards.

Get yourself an Omega applier. Apply it on Maitreya. Look at the feet. Use the same applier on Belleza Freya. Look at the feet. They aren't the same, the texture is completely off. Yes, it is a problem with the mesh and that's what I was trying to explain.

OP isn't asking only about the system avatar, so this problem is very relevant.

(P.S. As a small technical side-note, BOM or Omega doesn't "remap" anything. It is the mesh that has the information about which parts of the texture go where, and it doesn't care what the texture looks like. The BOM update just made the already-existing bakes available to be used by scripts.)

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2020 at 3:05 PM, Muiregwen said:

If they use the LL UV layout, use that. If they don't, use the provided layout.

• 11 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1198 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.