Jump to content
PrudenceAnton

How to easily rez skyboxes (even in Bellisseria)

Recommended Posts

NOTE: This is for Firestorm viewers (not sure if SL viewer has this command line)

I saw this discussed in the 'Those crazy neighbors' topic and thought I'd make a new thread so its easier to reference.  Many were talking about rezzing a prim on the ground, sending it up over the 2000 meter limit then flying up, or you can click on the map and type in your height where you sent the prim to, to arrive faster.  BUT there is a MUCH easier way to set up a platform to rez your skybox on.

1.  Go to the center of your parcel.  Fly up to the height you want over 2000 meters to set your platform up on. A quick way to get up to the height you want is to type in local:  gth 2000  (type in any height you want) and you'll automatically be teleported to that height.  You might want to be in fly mode first 😁

2.  Now, type in local chat:  rezplat

3.  This will automatically rez a platform to the default size of 30x30.  You can go into your Preferences > Chat > CmdLine and change the size to be rezzed on the scale bar from 0 - 100 I believe.  

Easypeasy, no more hassle to get a platform rezzed up in the sky. Your chairs can stay on the floor where they belong. 😉

 

Edited by PrudenceAnton
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish many more used the forums to read and ask. That is the problem, I think.

The default viewer is inferior to third party viewers in so many ways. You (general you) can prefer and choose the default one instead. I like all the added on shortcuts and helpful things. 

I have not used the default viewer in so many years. I would be helpless if I should explain how to do things to a person on that viewer. I assume it does not have rezplat?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I wish many more used the forums to read and ask. That is the problem, I think.

The default viewer is inferior to third party viewers in so many ways. You (general you) can prefer and choose the default one instead. I like all the added on shortcuts and helpful things. 

I have not used the default viewer in so many years. I would be helpless if I should explain how to do things to a person on that viewer. I assume it does not have rezplat?

 

I have no idea. I have not used the SL viewer since Phoenix Firestorm was first released.  Its like speaking a foreign language to me now, trying to navigate my way around it.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

quickest way to make, size and position a sky platform on every viewer

go to the middle of your parcel. Rez a new prim. Sit on it

right-click Edit: Size the prim (32 x 32 for a square 1024m). Check that the prim (you are sitting on) is exactly centered on the parcel

when so, then edit the prim: set Position Z = 2000 (or which ever height you want)

when it is at the height you want, then Stand. and done

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

for normal second life viewer this is what i do

1. ctrl+alt+shift+p and see your own parcel size first

2. right click build and left click, select stretch, drag and align with your parcel size

3. click object tab, go to position Z and put 2000

4. ctrl+m to open map and location height [xx] [xx] [2050] and teleport

you should be standing on the object, unless you are below your object and see yourself falling, lol

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PrudenceAnton said:

NOTE: This is for Firestorm viewers (not sure if SL viewer has this command line)

I saw this discussed in the 'Those crazy neighbors' topic and thought I'd make a new thread so its easier to reference.  Many were talking about rezzing a prim on the ground, sending it up over the 2000 meter limit then flying up, or you can click on the map and type in your height where you sent the prim to, to arrive faster.  BUT there is a MUCH easier way to set up a platform to rez your skybox on.

1.  Go to the center of your parcel.  Fly up to the height you want over 2000 meters to set your platform up on. A quick way to get up to the height you want is to type in local:  gth 2000  (type in any height you want) and you'll automatically be teleported to that height.  You might want to be in fly mode first 😁

2.  Now, type in local chat:  rezplat

3.  This will automatically rez a platform to the default size of 30x30.  You can go into your Preferences > Chat > CmdLine and change the size to be rezzed on the scale bar from 0 - 100 I believe.  

Easypeasy, no more hassle to get a platform rezzed up in the sky. Your chairs can stay on the floor where they belong. 😉

 

Oh wow, I had no idea about this gth 2000 business.  Awesome!  Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Long ago, I went to a buildbox and made myself a basic build platform that I use everywhere.  Speeds up the process, but it is basically what Molly said above.

> Rez a prim, make it 10x10 and however thick you want. Texture it with whatever you want people camming around to see.  I usually use a sky texture.

> Texture the top of it with a builder's grid, if you want to be able to quickly measure anything you make or rez.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Basic-Builders-Grid-Texture/8534776

> Rez a box on top of the platform.  This will serve as a chair to put the grid in place.

> Link the two and make it phantom and convex hull.  Name it something.  Should be 1 prim.  Take it into inventory.

Whenever I want a build platform, I rez this at ground level and resize it to go near the edges of my parcel, just so I know if something I'm building is encroaching.  Remember to set the build menu to NOT resize textures, or your grid will get messed up!   Sit on the box,  edit the platform and set the z to where you want the box.  You may have to hit ESC to bring your camera along.  Then make it non-phantom and stand up. At this point I usually make a LM to the platform, and/or put a basic touch-teleport script in the box I sat on, as well as in something on the ground.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sakura Sands said:

Oh wow, I had no idea about this gth 2000 business.  Awesome!  Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

The reason I don't tend to mention that, and don't mention rezplat - is those are Firestorm exclusive tricks.

The method I gave in the other thread works in any viewer.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...