How to easily rez skyboxes (even in Bellisseria)

PrudenceAnton

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1052 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

NOTE: This is for Firestorm viewers (not sure if SL viewer has this command line)

I saw this discussed in the 'Those crazy neighbors' topic and thought I'd make a new thread so its easier to reference.  Many were talking about rezzing a prim on the ground, sending it up over the 2000 meter limit then flying up, or you can click on the map and type in your height where you sent the prim to, to arrive faster.  BUT there is a MUCH easier way to set up a platform to rez your skybox on.

1.  Go to the center of your parcel.  Fly up to the height you want over 2000 meters to set your platform up on. A quick way to get up to the height you want is to type in local:  gth 2000  (type in any height you want) and you'll automatically be teleported to that height.  You might want to be in fly mode first 😁

2.  Now, type in local chat:  rezplat

3.  This will automatically rez a platform to the default size of 30x30.  You can go into your Preferences > Chat > CmdLine and change the size to be rezzed on the scale bar from 0 - 100 I believe.  

Easypeasy, no more hassle to get a platform rezzed up in the sky. Your chairs can stay on the floor where they belong. 😉

Edited by PrudenceAnton
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 14

I wish many more used the forums to read and ask. That is the problem, I think.

The default viewer is inferior to third party viewers in so many ways. You (general you) can prefer and choose the default one instead. I like all the added on shortcuts and helpful things. 

I have not used the default viewer in so many years. I would be helpless if I should explain how to do things to a person on that viewer. I assume it does not have rezplat?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I wish many more used the forums to read and ask. That is the problem, I think.

The default viewer is inferior to third party viewers in so many ways. You (general you) can prefer and choose the default one instead. I like all the added on shortcuts and helpful things. 

I have not used the default viewer in so many years. I would be helpless if I should explain how to do things to a person on that viewer. I assume it does not have rezplat?

I have no idea. I have not used the SL viewer since Phoenix Firestorm was first released.  Its like speaking a foreign language to me now, trying to navigate my way around it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

quickest way to make, size and position a sky platform on every viewer

go to the middle of your parcel. Rez a new prim. Sit on it

right-click Edit: Size the prim (32 x 32 for a square 1024m). Check that the prim (you are sitting on) is exactly centered on the parcel

when so, then edit the prim: set Position Z = 2000 (or which ever height you want)

when it is at the height you want, then Stand. and done

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

for normal second life viewer this is what i do

1. ctrl+alt+shift+p and see your own parcel size first

2. right click build and left click, select stretch, drag and align with your parcel size

3. click object tab, go to position Z and put 2000

4. ctrl+m to open map and location height [xx] [xx] [2050] and teleport

you should be standing on the object, unless you are below your object and see yourself falling, lol

• Like 5

3 hours ago, PrudenceAnton said:

NOTE: This is for Firestorm viewers (not sure if SL viewer has this command line)

I saw this discussed in the 'Those crazy neighbors' topic and thought I'd make a new thread so its easier to reference.  Many were talking about rezzing a prim on the ground, sending it up over the 2000 meter limit then flying up, or you can click on the map and type in your height where you sent the prim to, to arrive faster.  BUT there is a MUCH easier way to set up a platform to rez your skybox on.

1.  Go to the center of your parcel.  Fly up to the height you want over 2000 meters to set your platform up on. A quick way to get up to the height you want is to type in local:  gth 2000  (type in any height you want) and you'll automatically be teleported to that height.  You might want to be in fly mode first 😁

3.  This will automatically rez a platform to the default size of 30x30.  You can go into your Preferences > Chat > CmdLine and change the size to be rezzed on the scale bar from 0 - 100 I believe.  

Easypeasy, no more hassle to get a platform rezzed up in the sky. Your chairs can stay on the floor where they belong. 😉

Oh wow, I had no idea about this gth 2000 business.  Awesome!  Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

• Like 1

Long ago, I went to a buildbox and made myself a basic build platform that I use everywhere.  Speeds up the process, but it is basically what Molly said above.

> Rez a prim, make it 10x10 and however thick you want. Texture it with whatever you want people camming around to see.  I usually use a sky texture.

> Texture the top of it with a builder's grid, if you want to be able to quickly measure anything you make or rez.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Basic-Builders-Grid-Texture/8534776

> Rez a box on top of the platform.  This will serve as a chair to put the grid in place.

> Link the two and make it phantom and convex hull.  Name it something.  Should be 1 prim.  Take it into inventory.

Whenever I want a build platform, I rez this at ground level and resize it to go near the edges of my parcel, just so I know if something I'm building is encroaching.  Remember to set the build menu to NOT resize textures, or your grid will get messed up!   Sit on the box,  edit the platform and set the z to where you want the box.  You may have to hit ESC to bring your camera along.  Then make it non-phantom and stand up. At this point I usually make a LM to the platform, and/or put a basic touch-teleport script in the box I sat on, as well as in something on the ground.

• 1 year later...
On 1/10/2020 at 7:49 AM, PrudenceAnton said:

I realize this is probaly a ridiculously noob question.  But how do you know you are standing exactly center of your parcel?  (and presume you mean centre of my Linden Home?).  and if not in the exactly center when doing this, will anything bad happen (like crossing the beams in Ghostbusters, bad I mean?)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JordonBanks said:

But how do you know you are standing exactly center of your parcel?

if you need  a little help with that ..

rezz a prim, stretch it to the landborders, than click , on time, hollow .. the hole will appear in the middle of the parcel covering prim.
If you use this prim as template with putting it on the wanted hight (buildingtool) the center will be visible everywhere (as long you don't shift or re rezz it)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

if you need  a little help with that ..

rezz a prim, stretch it to the landborders, than click , on time, hollow .. the hole will appear in the middle of the parcel covering prim.
If you use this prim as template with putting it on the wanted hight (buildingtool) the center will be visible everywhere (as long you don't shift or re rezz it)

I am probably running before I can walk  (literally LOL).  But do you mean create a flat box like this (in picture)?  But how do i know where my landborders are to stretch it to?  And then I don't understand what you mean by "than click , on time, hollow.."

I like the idea of OP Prudence Anton's suggestion - as sounded really simple, as long as I new where the exact middle of my land parcel / home was  (and I f I had to be precise?)  https://community.secondlife.com/profile/1524463-prudenceanton/

Anyway - this is where I am at - and I'm probably doing nothing like you explained  - LOL.  (and probably it's me that's currently looking like the 'Crazy Neighbour' LOL)

a65dcfe58d73a339149b4af340dd39dc.png

• Like 1

Jordon...go to World > Show More > Property Lines, it will highlight your boundaries.  Sink your platform down to bottom of water, then you can adjust the size using that guideline. Not sure what she means by the hollow reference, sorry :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kylie Jaxxon said:

Not sure what she means by the hollow reference, sorry :(

ehm.. "she" ...  / me looks down.... nope nothing changed... :) 

in the building tool you can make a hollow shape in a prim .. click once and there's a small hole in the exact middle

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

ehm.. "she" ...  / me looks down.... nope nothing changed... :) 

in the building tool you can make a hollow shape in a prim .. click once and there's a small hole in the exact middle

LOL...I am so sorry!!  Thanks for the info :)

• Like 1

@JordonBanks

What Pru means by "center" is easy enough to do :)  

1. Hit fly and then click "About Land" the little i in the address bar at the top of your viewer. That will open your land setting and also highlight the border of your parcel.

2. Using your cam controls, just angle them down so you are looking down at your yard to easily see the center of your parcel then double click to tp (this can be set up in the movement tab of your preferences under "move and view. Also a really great feature to get to spots fast without having to walk through crowds or lag if there is a forced landing spot) to that spot. 

3. Then, type into local chat gth 2000 or whatever height you prefer that is within the TOS allowance. And it will send you up to that height level (keep fly on).

4. Type into local again rezplat and a platform will appear right there under your feet. You can then rez out your skybox and you're all set :)

You can also use the gth feature to come back down to your yard by typing gth 0 into local.

🐹

Edited by JessycaJayne
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone - and using the collective advice, (and a 1LI pre-built skybox off marketplace), I now have my 'pad in the sky' .  Although I can't for the life of me now remember why I wanted it.....????

Oh,  I do... for my photo studio. 🙂

Thanks again everyone.  Such a helpful forum this.  Hope I can return the favour. 🙂

JB

Edited by JordonBanks
typo
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1052 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.