What is your strongest/weakest type of intelligence?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

42 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Yep. Easy enough to figure that out from my comment -- at least I was for a couple of years (we moved a lot).

And that really sucks about your"accelerated classes" and WORK.  "I" got to take (there were choices) expository writing rather than English 101 (where they learned about verbs and such).  We actually had a lot of grammar in that  writing class too (grammar that has changed over the decades and was different from the decades before ---- such is our language. 

Most of the time though we were given a topic and then had to write a two page paper (handwritten and NEAT) within our 45 minutes.  It got you thinking fast for sure.  Since I was a messy writer I wrote out the story or article and then copied it all over again to pass the "neatness" demand. My method was to write the beginning and then the end of the story or article and THEN fill in the middle.  I did well :D.     I took advanced math too, but while I liked analytical geometry, I hated calculus and "story problems". 

So for ME the placement was a great thing.  

You all had crap gifted classes. Gifted kids naturally love learning if the curriculum is challenging in a way that engages them. 

i am pretty average intelligence wise. Below average in probably as many areas as I might be above average in others

to compensate I tend be pretty dogged once I decide to do something. Just keep going til I get to the end.  I am also quite curious tho, whenever I see or hear about stuff that I have never come across before then my ears perk up and go all oooh! shiny! sparkly eyes. As a consequence of this then my googlefu/search skills are quite developed I think. So if I had to pick one thing about me then it would that.  How to find out about stuff

like for example I hadn't known before about all of the 9 types of intelligence, so I looked then up

if i do have a secret to life (life meaning my own life) then is understanding that I am dogged, stubborn even, I don't like it when I don't finish what I start. So I do my best to make a value analysis of a thing before I spend time on it

how much do I know about this thing already ?  How long time-wise might it take me to discover/ find out the things I don't know about it, all the things which aren't discernible/knowable from my observation of the thing. Then weigh the benefits to myself of knowing about this thing, against how long will it take me to know/learn it.  Then compare the weight to all the other things I could do with the time. Where it might fall in the list all things I might want to know or do. When is down the list then I don't do anything about it. I don't start

am not sure that this approach is anything special or unique to me either. Am pretty sure is how most people decide things. Being that most of us are closer to average than not average

• Like 4

To get an idea how I see myself, watch this and imagine little Dilbert as Lucy van Pelt...

I learned from my father to be cautious when discussing (or even thinking about) intelligence, particularly IQ. It's only one ingredient in the recipe for success and letting my IQ out of the bag might get people wondering why I haven't done more with my life. It took me decades to stop worrying about that, I don't need others to pester me.

I share Molly's curiosity, though my laziness often overcomes my stubbornness and I'll drop an endeavor the moment I grasp it.

I also suspect there are not nine kinds of intelligence. Surely this classification requires an irrational number.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

I first saw this intelligence model around 8-9 years ago and since then I have preferred it over the standard IQ point model. It is still not perfect but it is so much more encompassing and takes away from the elitist BS that comes with the “My IQ is 142” statements. And you can observe these types of intelligence in the world around you. You could have someone who is not particular good at dealing with others and can’t math to save their life but creatively is a genius. You can have someone who is not all that good creatively or socially but is a math wizard or someone who is a musical genius and very good linguistically and socially but awful at introspection, creativity and natural intelligence. Under the IQ model, most of these intelligence types go largely unnoticed and are under appreciated as it’s (mostly) a focus on math, wordiness and logic and problem solving.

For me it’s :

Mathematical : Pretty good

Existential : Definitely

Musical : Not at all

Interpersonal : Definitely

Bodily : Not at all

Linguistic : High average

Intrapersonal : Definitely

Visual Spatial : Definitely

However, more than the 9 types have been suggested. You should check out the wiki link for this topic :

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

You could have someone who is not particular good at dealing with others and can’t math to save their life but creatively is a genius. You can have someone who is not all that good creatively or socially but is a math wizard or someone who is a musical genius and very good linguistically and socially but awful at introspection, creativity and natural intelligence.

And you know which other people want to work with? 

4 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's nice to see a recognition that there isn't one quantifiable facility of intelligence. Honestly, I very much doubt that even 9 different varieties could possibly do justice to the astonishing complexity of the human mind, and account for the relationship between god-given "smarts" in whatever and environment, upbringing, etc.

I've never done an IQ test. I don't know that I've ever even been given the opportunity to do one -- at least, a properly administered one.

I doubt I'd do one even given the chance. What would be the point? Breast exams, or blood pressure tests, or other similar procedures are actionable: I can do something about the results. Indeed, that is their very raison d'être, right?

But what purpose would it possibly serve to know my IQ? Even if I trusted the result (which I wouldn't anyway), it'd just leave me depressed knowing that I'm dumber than I thought. It's not like I can do anything about it.

Well, with this particular thing, it's not really like a "IQ/How smart are you" But more of what sort of methods tend to work best for you when doing work or learning.

• Like 2

Like an RPG of some sort...

Naturalistic Intelligence - average

Musical Intelligence - low

Logical-Mathematical Intelligence - high

Existential Intelligence - low

Interpersonal Intelligence - average

Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence - average

Linguistic Intelligence - high

Intrapersonal Intelligence - low

Visual-Spatial Intelligence - high

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pamela Galli said:

And you know which other people want to work with? 

Huh? I’m not presuming to know anything about who anyone wants to work with. Just merely stating that it’s nifty how this intelligence model covers and appreciates a wider range of people than the standard IQ model

23 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Huh? I’m not presuming to know anything about who anyone wants to work with. Just merely stating that it’s nifty how this intelligence model covers and appreciates a wider range of people than the standard IQ model

I am asking if you know, not claming you do.

Answer: People would rather work with people who have social skills.

12 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

I am asking if you know, not claming you do.

Answer: People would rather work with people who have social skills.

I think that depends on the person. Il happily work with people who are struggling socially, if anything to help them in becoming more confident when dealing with others

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

Well informed people know that  Intelligence Quotient tests such as Stanford Benet relate to only a very narrow set of abilities, and have no doubt experienced this when engaging with “highly intelligent” people —- geniuses even, by their own accounts — who seem clearly out of their depth when called upon to demonstrate competency in tasks requiring other types of less easily mass-measured types of intelligence, 

How about you? 

Naturalistic Intelligence - Meh, not so much

Musical Intelligence - I suck at anything musical except dancing - I am tone deaf, cannot sing, cannot play any instrument, could not identify musical notes if my life depended on it.  I absolutely love dancing though and when a bit younger, would have been happy dancing much of my spare time away.  I've danced off & on my whole life, some competitions, but nothing major - more for fun and personal enjoyment than anything else.

Logical-Mathematicael Intelligence - This is definitely my strongest area.  I am most at ease when involved in any sort of logic or math problem/puzzle and can often lose track time when involved in such activities.

Existential Intelligence - Nope, not even a little.

Interpersonal Intelligence - I've probably about average here.  I can read most folks as long as things aren't too subtle.  

Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence - I'm pretty strong here, probably my second strongest.

Linguistic Intelligence - Oddly enough, I have never thought of myself as being persuasive or having a way with words, yet I have been told by others that I actually do exhibit those qualities. So maybe, maybe not.

Intrapersonal Intelligence - Average here.  I'm usually pretty good at knowing my motives and desires, but having had my emotions squashed as a child, I still often have difficulty figuring out what I'm feeling.

Visual-Spatial Intelligence - Mediocre, at best.

We had gifted classes in Junior High, but I only did the math one.  I had a blast in it. 

P.S. @Pamela Galli - Fun topic.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

I think these will vary so much from person to person, and some are easier to learn to be better skilled at through practice than others, from youth and school on out into first and second careers...but without good decision making and practicing the interpersonal a lot and honing true social skills, so much of all of them will remain untapped and unavailable, to self, team, others. Having X intelligence and being able to actually *apply* it in a practical and beneficial way can be very different. 

I have more natural facility in body-kinesthetic, visual-spatial, musical, linguistic (when I want to use it), adequate development in the others. 

• Like 2

Naturalistic Intelligence - Definitely one of my strongest points..It's like an obsession that carries over into just about everything,even my job.

Really to me,the list is kind of confusing,because a lot of the list feels like it falls under this category or at least partly.. Nature in my eyes in the biggest picture in the universe..When I think of nature,it's like one big connect the dots with everything in the universe. Where the definition makes it sound like finding patterns in a flower and being good with animals and things like that.. hehehehe

To me that's like a watered down version of the size of what nature really is..

Anything within the universe is nature and so many of those things on the list feel like they are linked..

So the list kind of confuses me I guess..hehehe

Maybe i'm just finding patterns in them that are throwing me off of the intention..I'm kind of obsessed with patterns too and can get tunnel vision on those a lot of times..hehehe

or it could be that I'm home from work with a bad cold and totally way off base..hehehe

My weakest ,I'm going to say is, Linguistic Intelligence...Heck,I had to look up all the definitions just to be sure what they were.. hehehe

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

Wow we have an over representation of geniuses in this forum.

Here is the bell curve for standardized IQ tests:

• < 67 Extremely Low
  • 70-79 Borderline
  • 80-89 Below Average
  • 90-109 Average
  • 110-119 High Average
  • 120-129 Superior
  • > 130 Genius to Near Genius

i'm just going to come right out and say I am average... sometimes I amaze myself when I tie my shoe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Tarina Sewell said:

i'm just going to come right out and say I am average... sometimes I amaze myself when I tie my shoe.

To be honest unless you are willing to undergo some form of standardised IQ test under examination conditions, you wouldn’t have any idea of your true IQ anyway and quite honestly 95% of people that I hear claim their “IQ is...” haven’t done that at all and are going off web based IQ tests whose results are flakey at best and feel the need to tell people what their IQ is due to them generally being so desperate for people to think of them as Intelligent.

Even under examination conditions there are a whole host of things that can affect your overall score. For example, if you are slightly hungry, go for a walk in the hour before the exam, take in water to drink and get maybe 6-7 hours sleep beforehand and you will probably perform better than had you done the opposite and overslept, filled with food and no exercise.

IQ is irrelevant so long as you are happy 😜

Edited by ItHadToComeToThis
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

To be honest unless you are willing to undergo some form of standardised IQ test under examination conditions, you wouldn’t have any idea of your true IQ anyway and quite honestly 95% of people that I hear claim their “IQ is...” haven’t done that at all and are going off web based IQ tests whose results are flakey at best and feel the need to tell people what their IQ is due to them generally being so desperate for people to think of them as Intelligent.

Even under examination conditions there are a whole host of things that can affect your overall score. For example, if you are slightly hungry, go for a walk in the hour before the exam, take in water to drink and get maybe 6-7 hours sleep beforehand and you will probably perform better than had you done the opposite and overslept, filled with food and no exercise.

I can't remember ever taking one myself.. It just sounds like a ranking system or something, where if someone is having a bad day could go wrong..hehehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

It's only one ingredient in the recipe for success and letting my IQ out of the bag might get people wondering why I haven't done more with my life

Probably because your intelligence allows you to see that others'"do more with your life" is pretty meaningless when comparing the standards of "more", with your vision going beyond their petty definition of it 😁

10 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

I think that depends on the person. Il happily work with people who are struggling socially, if anything to help them in becoming more confident when dealing with others

Of course it depends on the person, everything does. But in polls, people are clear about their preference, and it’s to work with socially adept people. Not all of them but most. I will see if I can dig one up, but I bet most of us feel the same.

8 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

A few years ago, I discovered I'd been tying mine the wrong way since I first learned.

It's been a humbling experience to also discover that something I learned to do in a single day when a child has taken me years to relearn as an adult.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

In my high school Psychology class, we took a whole battery of tests to help us in figuring out what we might be best suited for career-wise.  We took the entire batch of tests 3 times during the first 3/4 of the school year, specifically because, as you said, all sorts of things can impact the scores/outcome, using the results for a large project near the end of the year.  It was actually quite interesting seeing how some things changed more than others across those different test times.  It was also very interesting to see how results of the different tests correlated with each other. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.