What is your strongest/weakest type of intelligence?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:
12 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

I think that depends on the person. Il happily work with people who are struggling socially, if anything to help them in becoming more confident when dealing with others

Of course it depends on the person, everything does. But in polls, people are clear about their preference, and it’s to work with socially adept people. Not all of them but most. I will see if I can dig one up, but I bet most of us feel the same.

I'm all for helping people whenever I can, but on a job often I don't have the time to be a mother or a therapist  :(     Unfortunately some people who are not "socially adept" require a LOT of time.  So it really depends on how their troubles affect their functioning, as to whether I'd agree to work with them.

22 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

Wow we have an over representation of geniuses in this forum.

Here is the bell curve for standardized IQ tests:

• < 67 Extremely Low
  • 70-79 Borderline
  • 80-89 Below Average
  • 90-109 Average
  • 110-119 High Average
  • 120-129 Superior
  • > 130 Genius to Near Genius

Well, as they say, "On the Internet nobody knows that you're a dog."

Or a genius. Or not.

Anyway, the > 130 for "genius" status depends upon the test and country and era in which the test was given. For one of the tests, Mensa requires a minimum of 148. (No, I didn't know this off of the top of my head. Google is your friend.) Other tests have it at 160 for a run-of-the-mill genius, and higher for an "extraordinary" genius.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pamela Galli said:

Well informed people know that  Intelligence Quotient tests such as Stanford Benet relate to only a very narrow set of abilities, and have no doubt experienced this when engaging with “highly intelligent” people —- geniuses even, by their own accounts — who seem clearly out of their depth when called upon to demonstrate competency in tasks requiring other types of less easily mass-measured types of intelligence, 

How about you? 

“IQ tests measure only a few types of intelligence. And this is a serious problem because modern research suggests that there are actually 9types of intelligence:

Naturalistic Intelligence

Musical Intelligence

Logical-Mathematicael Intelligence

Existential Intelligence

Interpersonal Intelligence

Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence

Linguistic Intelligence

Intrapersonal Intelligence

Visual-Spatial Intelligence”

https://blog.mindvalley.com/types-of-intelligence/

Me: I am stronger in written language and spatial problem solving, as well as artistic endeavors. Weaknesses: Most everything else, but especially not picking up on non verbal cues in social interactions. 

Well, I was drinking coffee when I popped this open for a look-see. Demmit. I laughed. I spewed. I assume this OP came to be because of another thread in which Tolya called me a moron and I bristled, for some reason. :) As mentioned there, we were required to take an IQ test in high school. The paper with the results is in some storage bin somewhere, so I'm not sure of the exact number (it has been a few years), but yes, it was somewhere around 161 to 163. And yes, theoretically, according to some test key somewhere that makes me a genius, stable or not. Has that knowledge impacted my life? Not at all. I actually think it is quite funny, especially considering several real life situations.

I believe I'm smart. (I don't believe in false modesty.) THAT smart? I dunno. Depends upon who is around me at the time. Depends on how you define smart (it certainly isn't the same as educated). I believe that age, stress, and godonlyknows what has decreased my IQ a lot. I recently found a stash of old college physics and calculus notebooks and not only was the handwriting beautiful but the contents were indecipherable. Wut? Now I can barely write a grocery list that I can read when I get to the store, so much for handwriting. Now I can no longer string together a coherent sentence, let alone be able to spell or punctuate correctly. Wait... what was I talking about? ... :::wanders off:::

Oh yeah. Funny things people assume if they find out you score at a genius level:

1. You must be a whiz at a Rubik's cube.  Ahahahahahaha. The only thing I can do with those is use it as a paperweight.
  2. You must be a whiz at chess.   Ahahahahahahaha. My attention span is like the dog in "Up!" ... "Squirrel!"
  3. That you must be a great success in the world.   Sigh. Alas. No.
  4. That you must be a rocket scientist or brain surgeon.   That would be amusing. Dangerous for all, but amusing.
  5. That you sit around all day thinking deep thoughts.  Sitting around all day, perhaps. Thinking? Often. More like, "Where'd I put my glasses?"
  6. That the show The Big Bang Theory is a documentary and is an accurate portrayal of "smart" people. 

Tests, like labels, are useful to a point. Just like the other "intelligence" categories you listed are only useful to a point, at times. As a society we sure like to be able to put people into little pigeon holes, slap a label on 'em, and declare understanding. To see me really write a novel on a topic, bring up HR departments and box checking forms. (grrrrr)

I'm good at some things. Great at a couple. Lousy at more than a few. I know I process "the world" differently than most of the people I end up being around, but then again, how would I ever possibly really know that, not being able to get into another person's head? I infer it from the propensity of "huh?" looks I get when I am waxing poetically [sarcasm font] on something that seems patently obvious to me. That, and I crack myself up with my extraordinary humor while the rest of the room is silent save for the sounds of crickets.

TLDR! Yay! One of my favorite pastimes.  PS: If you declare yourself to be smart, people enjoy poking through your posts to find the grammatical errors. You're welcome.

Edited by Seicher Rae
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

A few years ago, I discovered I'd been tying mine the wrong way since I first learned.   Etc ....etc....etc....

This is the first truly new and useful piece of basic information I have picked up from years of forum lurking.  Not that I haven't learned plenty of other exciting things, but everything else is an embellishment on some higher-order skill.  It's rare to come across a fundamental bit of information that is completely new to me and strikes at the heart of daily experience. Now, I finally have a way to tie my round boot laces to keep them from untying themselves.  I have been double tying them -- an ugly solution -- as long as I can remember.  Maddy, you have changed my life. (I know, that sounds scary.  Don't let it go to your head. )

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I can't remember ever taking one myself.. It just sounds like a ranking system or something, where if someone is having a bad day could go wrong..hehehehe

My daughter had to take an IQ test in school. She has a LD (Learning disability)  Her results were so low that she didn't even qualify for LD classes.  I was outraged because basically they told me she has to attend a school for special (MR) kids. I was outraged because I knew my daughter had at least average intelligence.. I was in the school's office and the Guidance counselor happened to be there that day, she also knew my daughter was not mentally retarded.  She gave her the test again, going to bat for my daughter and the results showed, she was average intelligence. But she definitely had a learning disability.  Seems my daughter, age 7 at the time was so scared of having to take a test she did not answer any questions.... So you are right here.. On any given day the results can be very, very different.

Edited by Tarina Sewell
I have to add my daughter struggled all throughout school because the public school system did not want to give her the education she deserved.
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

A few years ago, I discovered I'd been tying mine the wrong way since I first learned.

It's been a humbling experience to also discover that something I learned to do in a single day when a child has taken me years to relearn as an adult.

mindblown.gif

18 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Don't let it go to your head.

After more than a decade of trying to impress you with my knowledge and wisdom, the one thing that changes your life is an idea that's not mine and that I've found difficult to learn.

There's no way this isn't going to my head.

You're welcome, dammit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

we took a whole battery of tests to help us in figuring out what we might be best suited for career-wise.  We took the entire batch of tests 3 times 

We had something similar. They were really great tests for showing me (and unfortunately my fam) what I ‘might be best suited for’ and they were correct, I was pretty good at those things...but those careers were really far from what my **heart wanted** to do and I feel like they actually put another stumbling block in my way trying to get there. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Naturalistic Intelligence 100%
Musical Intelligence 100% 
Logical-Mathematical Intelligence 100%
Existential Intelligence 100% 
Interpersonal Intelligence 100%
Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence 100%
Linguistic Intelligence 100%
Interpersonal Intelligence 100%
Visual-Spatial Intelligence” 100%

Self-Awareness Intelligence 0%

Now multiply for my compound intelligence.

• Haha 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.