Deploy Plan for the Week of 2020-1-6

Johngalt Linden

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1567 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I think the original post is like today's rolls - all messed up.

Main channel was (and still is after the restarts) on 533447. I'm not aware of any region still running 533558 (maybe those on Cake are, but I don't know of any regions on Cake to check). BlueSteel (which my parcel is on) is running 533895 and Magnum & LeTigre are on 533447 like main channel.

57 minutes ago, LoganPryor said:

[...] Magnum & LeTigre are on 533447 like main channel.

If those are all the same version, we have no way of knowing if any is still on the same channel it was before.

Edited by MBeatrix

@Johngalt Linden:  This is, or had better be, Nonsense.  My Region (Woods of Heaven) is on Main Server and has been on Server Vs blah blah 533447 since before Christmas!  It was apparently restarted on New Year's Day and was still on 533447.

So far as I can tell there is nothing on the Main Grid running vs 533895!

I do not know what is going on but to a casual observer I'd have to say that this is beginning to look like a SNAFU, the likes of which I have not seen on Agni in a VERY long time.

Edited by Aishagain

• Lindens

Hello everyone! Indeed, today's rolls have been somewhat unusual, and we've spent almost all of our time trying to get the grid back into a good and healthy state. We're just about there, and we anticipate fewer bumps in the road tomorrow. There will definitely be restarts for regions that need it all regions on RCs, and some RC regions may shuffle around which code they're running, but at the end of tomorrow none should be running anything that's new this week.

Edited by Mazidox Linden
We decided to avoid restarting all regions, instead focusing efforts on ones that need it
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Thankyou for your response Mazidox but we are still left with the issue of that original post.  Main Server was NOT on 533895, it was and my region, which has only just returned is still, on 533447!  My region has NEVER been on 533895.

Still we'll be back to normal soon , I guess, once today's dust has settled! :)

5 hours ago, Cam Mode said:

Confused, says "No Roll" for SL server regions, but they did on Tuesday...........

These deploy threads are about the SL server versions to be deployed across the channels making up the grid. A  change in the server version is a roll - either roll forward (usual case), or rollback. Since none of the channels are changing the version of the SL server they're running, there was/is "No Roll".

As this is the first full week of the new year, we're getting a complete restart of the grid, and from Mazidox's post a reshuffle of a few regions onto different channels (so the few regions that do change channels may see a change in the server version they're running on)

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MBeatrix said:

If those are all the same version, we have no way of knowing if any is still on the same channel it was before.

I'd annotated my LMs to let me know which RC channel they were on, plus my parcel was on BlueSteel. The RC restarts were in order Magnum, BlueSteel, LeTigre. and each channel roughly takes about an hour to be restarted - so I could plan my region hopping with minimal disturbance from the restarts. Following removal of the channel names in the server version the pattern didn't change, plus restart days haven't changed.

After this week's reshuffles, will have to see what the new timings are over the next few weeks.

I'm becoming somewhat irritated by this apparent mix-up over this week's restarts/rolls.

Can someone explain to me how it can be that if, according to the OP, Main Server is on version  533895 and is simply being restarted to new hosts, NONE of the Main Server regions I have visited in the past few days are actually running it?

Everywhere I go, including my home is running 533447.

What am I missing, or do the Lindens know something about the present deploy that we don't?

5 hours ago, Cam Mode said:

Main channel regions I saw rebooted this week were not at or over 10 days from last reboot.

Really? Because a whole lot were, at least before Monday. At least of the dozen or so Mainland regions I monitor, most were over 20 days since last restart, and all but one were over 15 days. (Of course, as we know from above, many regions restarted several times in the last couple days.)

I think, however, it's amply established at this point that nothing happening this week should be considered "normal practice" or representative of anything going forward. Making it especially difficult to comprehend is that the trouble had nothing to do with the sim version and were all about problems in the host environment on which the sims run. I doubt the sim version a region is running this week has any ongoing significance.

None of this would make any sense to me from this thread, but Inara Pey's blog about Tuesday's Simulator User Group gives some background and Mazidox's post above fills in about some subsequent events.

I don't understand where we are nor how we got here but at this point I'm satisfied I'd never understand it anyway. Sorta like quantum mechanics without the math.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

[..] I don't understand where we are nor how we got here [..]

I just hope the Lindens do know. But the image they are putting out looks like they are somewhat disoriented. At the very least, it's quite unprofessional.

Edited by MBeatrix
typo correction
  • Thanks 2

Just this:

7 hours ago, MBeatrix said:

I just hope the Lindens do know. But the image is quite unprofessional.

I paraphrased but the matter is now serious.

And just for the record, why has no explanation been given for the disparity between the announced server version on Main Server and what is actually running?😗

• Thanks 1

Oh dear! Nuggy is about to be restarted again. Despite being running a bit over 90% average of its 4000K something active scripts and having been restarted twice on Tuesday.

I wonder what's going on now... But of course that wondering is all I get, if not a buggered sim again...

[EDIT] And it's got back online quickly, apparently as healthy as before.

Edited by MBeatrix
adding info

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1567 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.