Why don't 'the Moles' build with SL resident creator stuff?

Feorie Frimon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Weird question, I know....

'The Moles' were mentioned in another thread I'm in which got me thinking.... we have some super amazing things that have already been built in world. Why don't the moles use these items to build with? 

Is there a way for SecondLife creators to build some simple objects for the lab to use and build with? Could a 'Linden Avatar' or a 'Mole' avatar purchase items in world at a store and build with them? 

Why not add a normal 'non-Linden' avatar to a mainland builder's group like Linden Department of Public Works and let them use things they've purchased from their inventory with a prim budget? 

I'm sure there is a copyright thing I'm missing... 

9 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, Feorie Frimon said:

Weird question, I know....

'The Moles' were mentioned in another thread I'm in which got me thinking.... we have some super amazing things that have already been built in world. Why don't the moles use these items to build with? 

Is there a way for SecondLife creators to build some simple objects for the lab to use and build with? Could a 'Linden Avatar' or a 'Mole' avatar purchase items in world at a store and build with them? 

Why not add a normal 'non-Linden' avatar to a mainland builder's group like Linden Department of Public Works and let them use things they've purchased from their inventory with a prim budget? 

I'm sure there is a copyright thing I'm missing... 

Because all Linden-sponsored builds must be created by Linden Lab, else it would look silly, not to mention the cries about "LL usurping other creators' work!"

30 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Because all Linden-sponsored builds must be created by Linden Lab, else it would look silly, not to mention the cries about "LL usurping other creators' work!"

And because an alarming number of resident-created objects are not really created entirely by the residents but are copied/stolen from other sources without regard for intellectual property rights.  Linden Lab won't put itself in legal jeopardy by taking a chance on things that may be questionable.

Besides, the Moles are some of SL's most skilled, imaginative creators.  😉

• Like 1

When the Moles were making the Glytch hunting areas, there were plenty of items from other creators used.   

BUT -- a lot of items made for Second Life do not comply with the needs and wants of public spaces so far as The Lab is concerned. Items need to be "game asset" (meaning mostly minimal triangles)  and with LONG LODs (so they don't break apart for people on lower graphics settings). While there are a few creators that make things this way (and could indeed be Moles with Mole names) the large majority of made for sale items don't measure up to these standards.   

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Feorie Frimon said:

They do. I once asked a Mole who had just bought some houses from me and she told me that yes, she bought them on behalf of Linden Lab and that they had a budget for buying user created content. (She wouldn't tell me what she needed them for but I found out later that they're used at one of the infohubs.)

5 hours ago, Feorie Frimon said:

I've never had any of them purchasing in world, only on MP. When I see Lindens as customers, it's usually not ones associated with LDPW so I suppose they have other reasons than to use the items for official LL builds.

• Like 1

I suspect that Moles know which creators are truly making their own, unique products.  If they can save time by using reliable products that fit in with their projects, they may turn to that short list of trusted creators.  It's tough to get colors, scale, and thematic details to match when you start assembling components from different sources, though, so they can't do that very often. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

It's tough to get colors, scale, and thematic details to match when you start assembling components from different sources, though, so they can't do that very often. 

Yes, that is important too. It's very difficult to make a good build from parts that don't match.

There's also the question of technical quality too. I may be less than impressed in general by the Moles there but to be fair, with one very early exception they never accept LoD butchery and they don't go totally overboard with texture overload either. That alone would exclude a lot of commercial content.

• Like 4

there is a quite a bit of difference between a Linden account and a Mole account

Mole accounts are specifically hired to make content for Linden. A Mole buying stuff instead of making it kinda defeats the purpose of hiring them. Moles I have noticed do tho tend to share a lot of stuff between themselves. Drawing assets from the shared common mole repository I suppose

Linden accounts typically  have other duties to perform also, and while they may have some creative time set aside in their work schedule, is not as many hours proportionately relative to their total hours, as a Mole has

• Like 1

Let's look at this logically. 

Moles are doing "work for hire" for Linden Lab". They make items FOR The Lab and LL becomes the sole owner. Moles may keep some part of copyright - I have no idea - but when I did RL work for hire I gave ALL rights to the person hiring me.   

That means that LL can share the items with others (like all the Bellisseria folks).  They could NOT do that if they used items from non-work-for-hire creators. As I understand it, the Moles make specific things for LL or at least things in a certain theme (like gifts) and there is a review process (sometimes several) before items are OKed as final (this has been stated by Moles here on the forums).  So LL has lots of control and can order just what they want. 

AND they can choose to put items in the Linden Homes mailboxes to be used as community assets.  

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.