am i the only one still have the problom of sl shuting down computer?

Alaskansnowwolf Barkley

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4724 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

5 answers to this question

You seem to be experiencing hardware or OS problems not related to SL but SL just makes them show up. First thing is make sure you have updated all your drivers specially your graphics card drivers. Also make sure you run a deep scan for a virus, if your AV software allows you to run a scan while on safe mode boot, please do so as well. Also make sure you have your OS updated with all the security patches available.

• Like 2

My drivers are all up to date,i just checked them a week ago. My anti virus runs itself everyday. Why should i run the anti-virus on safe mode instead of in regaler mode,does that make a difference? yes my system meets the minimum requirements,sl use to work on this computer. Its withen he last 2 years this has been happening.

Yes it makes a difference. Some viruses are able to exploit non-essential windows files to disguise themselves and fool your AV. When you boot your OS on safe mode, the system uses only the files necessary to run windows and thus such viruses have no running files in which to hide. That is the reason why the best AV software nowadays give you the option to run a scan on safe mode by rebooting on safe-mode for you without your intervention. Also be aware that just because you have your AV set to run on a daily basis, it does not mean that everything is being scanned. Daily scans only scan sections of your HD at random. It is essential to run a deep scan every now and then. I know full scans can take a lot of time but it is important to do it. Either that or get a Mac or Install Linux and you will have less to worry about.

A virus certainly could cause your computer to shut down (as can spyware).  A deep scan should uncover a virus should that be the problem and it seems you've done that (I assume you also did a spyware scan).  Though a virus and/or spyware could do what you are experiencing, it's really not likely to be the problem.  I say that because, apparently this only happens with a single program (SL, in this case)........malware isn't particular about when it might bring an operating system down.  The problem would be happening randomly with any program........and if this has been going on for 2 years I think you would have known it was more widespread than just SL causing your computer to shut down.  That's my thinking about why I don't believe your problem is malware related.

I'm going to say your problem is hardware related.  Specifically, I'm going to point my finger at a memory module that has failed.  I don't think your graphics card is to blame since if it failed you'd be having a world of problems from crappy video to your computer refusing to boot at all.  If it were heat related to your graphics card, what you are discribing could be the early signs of a pending failure........but in 2 years I can't imagine the card not failing completely.  A memory module, however is a little different.  Most computers have 2 or more modules to make up the total RAM.  One of those modules could fail, un-noticed, until a program is launched that requires all the modules to perform.  SL is one such program.

You didn't say if your computer is a desktop or laptop.  If it's a desktop my recommendation is to remove the side panel and check to make sure all your plug-in cards and modules are securely seated.  If they all appear to be seated properly, remove one of the memory modules, put the side back on and boot your computer up.  If it won't boot or runs very slow, you probably found the failed module right off the bat.  If it boots normally then try SL.  Let SL run to see if it crashes your system like you discribed.  If it doesn't then you found the module.  If it crashes as before, then replace that module in it's original slot and remove another one.......repeat trying SL until you find that SL no longer crashes your system.  Replace that module with a new one (it's best to take that module with you when you go to get a new one so you get the same memory).  Things will likely run slower than usual while your testing..........but your system should not crash.  Also while you have the side off, it would be a good idea to blow out the dust with a can of compressed air.  The problem could always be a heat issue.  But you said this is a 2 year old problem..........heat almost always leads a failure and in 2 years it's hard for me believe it wouldn't have failed some time ago.  That's why I'm suspecting a memory module.........one of 2 to 4 modules might go without you noticing.  A video card going would be noticed immediately.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4724 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.