Windows clean restart

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've had trouble downloading the new update for Windows 10 x64.. After about ten tries, Windows help desk thinks I need a clean restart. Part of that requires moving programs and applications to DVD and reloading after the restart is completed. Personal files and data are retained. Does Second Life transfer with personal files,  can I claim my account from your files, or do I need to move it to a DVD and reload after the clean restart? 

The only information a Second Life client stores on your computer:

• Cached Textures
  • Cached Inventory
  • IM/General Chat logs
  • Custom Windlight presets
  • Other, often replaceable data

Your Second Life account's primary data (including the actual inventory itself) is stored on a server system owned by Linden Lab. There is nothing to "claim".

• Like 1

Chat logs, Windlight if extra/new (see below), everything else is restored and rebuild on your system, next time you login.

If you use Firestorm use the backup build-in: Viewer->Preferences->Backup, click Select Al->Backup Settings, this will make a backup of everything including Windlight.

Notice: Specify a backup folder, for example D:\FS Backup or direct to an USB.

The whole backup for all the settings in only around 1 MB. Easy to transfer.

After you reinstalled your viewer on the updated clean Windows 10, copy the chat logs back. Start Firestorm and select the menu Viewer->Preferences->Backup-> Restore Settings (f.x. from D:\FS Backup or an USB stick), relog, everything back as before.

Notice, chat history will be rebuild in the viewer as you again IM with people, don't worry if you seem to miss some in the viewer.

Good luck.

Edited by Rachel1206
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1569 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.