Cool places to visit on...the mainland?

Feorie Frimon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey everyone!

I'm working on a SL project specific to ONLY the mainland SL grid. The idea is to feature a series of really cool spots on the mainland that people may not know about. Gems, if you will. Do you have any favorite spots that you like to visit? If so, please post a surl below and I'll go check it out!

Thanks in advance for your help!

• Like 1

I don't know where to start!!!

Maybe with this thread:

Β 

Edit:

Then there's the Faraway, Iris, Pyri Peaks, that lovely old Arabian Bazaar infohub I always forget the name of...

Ummm... how do you definte "cool" btw?

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Feorie Frimon said:

Your post is an epic way to start!!!

Glad to hear that. πŸ™‚

When I try to think of cool places on mainland, I end up with mostly old classic builds, such as

And if I'm allowed to suggest some of my own places:

Then there are some minatures - fairly small isolated builds that are just delightful, such as:

More than half the builds I've listed here are old LDPW ones and that's no coincidence. The Moles used to be excellent builders and of course, their builds are never taken down because the landowner can't pay the tier.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Beth Macbain said:

They still are.

No. They may still be able designers but they can't make proper LoD models or (according to what I read in a diffrent thread today - I haven't seen it myself) physics models. That's the fundamentals of mesh craftmanship.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Glad to hear that. πŸ™‚

When I try to think of cool places on mainland, I end up with mostly old classic builds, such as

And if I'm allowed to suggest some of my own places:

Then there are some minatures - fairly small isolated builds that are just delightful, such as:

More than half the builds I've listed here are old LDPW ones and that's no coincidence. The Moles used to be excellent builders and of course, their builds are never taken down because the landowner can't pay the tier.

Amazing list!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SusanPoora said:

Amazing list!

Thank you.

One thing I maybe should have mentioned is what those builds are made from. The two of my own builds I was audacious enough to list are fairly old mesh builds. The Gukyeol etc. infobuh was recently upgraded with some mesh trees (lifted from the Horizons project). Chateu le Kia has a few sculpts, but not many, and I'm sure Cape Ekim does too. Everything else on that list are prims with some system vegetation thrown in for good measure.

That's not a coincidence. Yes, there are lots of good looking (allbeit laggy) all mesh scenes in SL too but to me at least most of them have this mass produced feel. The same basic mold, the same FilterForge or Substance Painter textures with AO autboaked in Blender and with some suprefluous "original" details to make it fit whatever standardized style is fashionable. There is so much more creativity and originality in the best of the old prim builds.

Anothher point worth noticing, is how important context is. The Gukyeol infohub isn't actually an original, it's simply a copy of the one at Ahern. But the surroundings make it so much better. (Not that Ahern is bad, I was tempted to include it on the list too.)

Then there is the landscaping. Noyo/Davenport is a bit too extreme to be useful but even so, look at hos much the terraforming adds to the scene and look at how few objects it needs. It's just sooo much more efficient than the flat ground with ruler straight roads that seems to be the trend today. And if that wasn't enough, contoured landscapes even reduces the lag compared to flat ones.

I think I'm going to go a bit off topic to illustrate the importance of terraforming better. This isn't mainland, it's not even not even Second Life. It's not a finished work either of course but it still doesn't look bad, does it?

image.png.0e6c349a58a0552beffa8e50e4bfdcc1.png

Prim count:

image.png.cbc5afcf85dfd962e8f35ca98d668840.png

This is a 4x4 opensim varregion, the same size as 16 SL regions. I expect to add a few hundred LI worth of vegetation and other landscape items, maybe 2000-3000 LI worth of houses and of course, I'll leave some LI for the furniture too.

Less than 500 LI of content for each fully developed, great looking SL sized region. That's what we can do with careful terraforming and well optimized content.

Edited by ChinRey
Typos

7 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

I'd start with the LDPW Projects directoryΒ and linked from it the Parks and Recreation Directory. That includes many already listed, but also many more.

Lovely! I completely forgot Falmouth Hotel!

I was thinking of including Castle Valeria. There are better castles than in SL of course - like these two: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Coniston/56/212/1057 and http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Coniston/126/119/3905 but Valeria is much older than them and it's a complete sim build, not just the castle. My favourite part of it is the port and tavern, not the castle itself.

The reason I omitted it, was that it's hardly unique. It's one of the four fully developed regions LL used to sell as private islands and I think there are still a few of them around. If you want to enjoy that build, I suggest you go to the demo at http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Baronial Castle/186/212/68 instead of the copy at Valeria. That way you avoid the overcrowded and messy infohub stuff. And while you're there, look at the other three fully developed regions LL used to sell, the Conference Center, the Theatre and the Moonbase.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Adamburp Adamczyk said:

Beat you to it.Β  I've spent the past 6 months mapping hidden areas on the mainland (all Linden owned), and am abotu ready to publish ^^

That shuoldn't be a problem, the more the better.

2 hours ago, Adamburp Adamczyk said:

Beat you to it.Β  I've spent the past 6 months mapping hidden areas on the mainland (all Linden owned), and am abotu ready to publish ^^

Please let us know. I'd love to know if there are any I've missed.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Feorie Frimon said:

Hey everyone!

I'm working on a SL project specific to ONLY the mainland SL grid. The idea is to feature a series of really cool spots on the mainland that people may not know about. Gems, if you will. Do you have any favorite spots that you like to visit? If so, please post a surl below and I'll go check it out!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Just from personal experience, I have found it helps me to put the name of the Region (some call them 'sims') first when naming a landmark. I then put it in an inventory folder marked "Places I've Visited".Β 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, SusanPoora said:

Was it a pun?😯

;)

Β 

6 minutes ago, SusanPoora said:

Cause what I meant was, LMs being cluttered in my inventory, that I don't know which is which πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

I know how it is. Ikeep mine in the Landmarks folder but it doesn't help very much. They just keep piling up.

• Haha 1

The Brenner dinosaurs are near one of my outposts and I don't think they are listed on the wiki, maybe because they date back before the LDPWs builds. Torley Linden built them in 2006 (if inspecting them is giving me the correct information).

https://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Brenner/128/128/0

Β 

Edited by Aethelwine

Between Ryzal and Abbott's is a sort of Easter themed area at Kapor that is pretty wild full of easter eggs and bunnies

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Kapor/51/30/23

going from there past Abbotts and on towards Bay City there are some lovely little islands and hidden little caves to find

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Mnemosyne/133/46/26

1 hour ago, ChinRey said:

;)

I know how it is. Ikeep mine in the Landmarks folder but it doesn't help very much. They just keep piling up.

Oh, you got me!πŸ˜‚πŸ€­

And Yas, the pilesπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Maybe we could sit for a cup coffee a day, and just sort all the LMs out....and I bet the time will not be enoughπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1515 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.