warning about Linden Labs questionable business practises

Ratany

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

19 minutes ago, animats said:

Tilia, however, is a licensed money transfer service, which makes them subject to some financial regulation. The "it's easy to put money in, but hard to take it out" approach Tilia is taking is usually considered a red flag for a financial service, and attracts regulator attention. I'm not saying that LL is running a scam. But it's a key item on the list of signs of trouble. The big scams of the last decade - Madoff, Mt. Gox, etc. - started with delayed withdrawals. It's associated with Ponzi schemes. So regulators pay attention to complaints of that. LL needs to step carefully here.

Tilia is not a bank. Tilia does not borrow from or loan money to residents.

• Like 2

Oh for the love of ...

1. as others have stated already, you agreed to the ToS and CS the moment you finalized your account creation and logged in the first time. If you now regret that, cancel your account - silently.
  2. This is the general Discussion section of the general forum. if you're not looking for a discussion or potential discussion, don't start a thread here.
  3. You have had the reasoning for the limits explained to you several times now, if such is unsatisfactory then cancel your account or follow the suggestions the others (Linden lab included apparently) have given you.

Your "warning" is unneeded, misleading and frankly little more than a rant.

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Ratany said:

Their argument that having limits on L$ being sold might be acceptable if the limit wasn't set to 0 and if it wasn't being constantly changed --- if it is being changed, it keeps saying 0 since I'm trying to sell.  Why don't they set it to the same limit they set for buying L$ by default and, going from there, to what a customer requests.

That the buying limit is way too high by default is another issue, especially given that there is no further verification against taking your money once payment information is bound to the account.  Anyone breaking into an account can take money up to the limit of US$ 1999 per month, unless someone changed their limit, and there is no protection whatsover.

It is also not right that buying L$ and selling L$ should be tied to each other.  I should not have to buy L$ in order to sell L$, and I should not have to take the potential risk of a high buying limit in order to sell L$.  They need to improve their security.

As one of the multiple things to help prevent fraudulent activities, you cannot sell any L$ until you have bought some and then waited 30 days.  Then you can sell, up to US $1999 per 30 days and you can then cash out up to US $999 per 30 days.  The limits will only be raised after demonstrating true need for such.

Those are the rules.  No amount of whining will change those rules.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, animats said:

The "it's easy to put money in, but hard to take it out" approach Tilia is taking is usually considered a red flag for a financial service, and attracts regulator attention.

That's actually supposed to be a security measure to prevent money laundering and credit card fraud.

Don't ask me if it's the best way to do it but avination did not have anything like it and that was the direct reason why it collapsed (although it probably wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway).

Edited by ChinRey

34 minutes ago, Selene Gregoire said:

Now we get to be the irate customers! xD

I've often thought that every single person should be forced to work a retail, restaurant, or customer service job in the month of December at least once.

I will never, ever treat people the same way I got treated working my years in retail. People can just be the absolute worst. 

7175f08becf16d4ec6ef401c95b5cfb6.gif.1ae9cf062c8164f5560476d2e12af41a.gif

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

I've often thought that every single person should be forced to work a retail, restaurant, or customer service job in the month of December at least once.

I will never, ever treat people the same way I got treated working my years in retail. People can just be the absolute worst. 

7175f08becf16d4ec6ef401c95b5cfb6.gif.1ae9cf062c8164f5560476d2e12af41a.gif

My first job was in retail. At age 14. It's why I went into bookkeeping/accounting. Still had to deal with ****heads on occasion but not nearly as many or nearly as often.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 1

I could NEVER work in retail or customer service. I would throw things at the whingers, probably slap them and jump on their stuff and smash it into bits, preferably where the most people could see. "NOW you've got something to complain about!"   *cuss cuss cuss.... 🤪😠😡🤬👿

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

I could NEVER work in retail or customer service. I would throw things at the whingers, probably slap them and jump on their stuff and smash it into bits, preferably where the most people could see. "NOW you've got something to complain about!"   *cuss cuss cuss.... 🤪😠😡🤬👿

There are better and much, much more subtle ways of getting revenge so you don't get fired. 😈

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Working as a waitress taught me how to smile very politely to a**holes, tell them to F off, and get a Thank You in return.

There are ways.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Maryanne Solo said:

I worked in a c-store long ago back in my college days --- but I later got a part time position driving a city bus I dumped the c-store, especially when a major cigarette company were paying the store's owner for us to wear buttons promoting their new brand of smokes. I refused and got wrote up.

Some customers were nice, but we would get some idiots. Now we own a small bar but most of the patrons are nice since we're in a small town that hasn't grown for decades.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Working as a waitress taught me how to smile very politely to a**holes, tell them to F off, and get a Thank You in return.

There are ways.

My sister was a waitress for some time and she would tell us stories - especially of the no-tippers or constantly sending stuff back to the kitchen. We were in a restaurant in the next town recently and saw a customer harassing the server about how slow she was and stuff. She tried to explain the place was short on staff that day, but the customer still yelled. The manager finally 86ed the person and when we cashed out, gave an extra tip. The server was appreciative and we told her that she don't need to put up with that crap.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

My sister was a waitress for some time and she would tell us stories - especially of the no-tippers or constantly sending stuff back to the kitchen. We were in a restaurant in the next town recently and saw a customer harassing the server about how slow she was and stuff. She tried to explain the place was short on staff that day, but the customer still yelled. The manager finally 86ed the person and when we cashed out, gave an extra tip. The server was appreciative and we told her that she don't need to put up with that crap.

This. I am a chronic over-tipper, even if the service isn't so hot. I figure I'm making up for someone else who stiffed them and if a little something I can do makes someone else smile that makes me smile.

I've also gotten into Very Loud Discussions with people at cash registers screaming at the cashiers. I'm free now to say all the things I couldn't when I depended on that job for silly things like food and gas, and I enjoy every second of it of cussing out mean people.

See, @Selene Gregoire - enjoying a good fight every once in a while comes in handy sometimes! I'm the most introverted introvert in Introversionland until I see someone being abused... then I go into some sort of beast mode. 😝

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Beth Macbain said:

This. I am a chronic over-tipper, even if the service isn't so hot. I figure I'm making up for someone else who stiffed them and if a little something I can do makes someone else smile that makes me smile.

I've also gotten into Very Loud Discussions with people at cash registers screaming at the cashiers. I'm free now to say all the things I couldn't when I depended on that job for silly things like food and gas, and I enjoy every second of it of cussing out mean people.

See, @Selene Gregoire - enjoying a good fight every once in a while comes in handy sometimes! I'm the most introverted introvert in Introversionland until I see someone being abused... then I go into some sort of beast mode. 😝

lol Makes two of us.

Maybe I should explain a little something to you and everyone else. What I am about to say applies to nearly everyone on my ignore list. Not all. There are a couple who are there because I simply will not put up with her (or his) bs any more. Most though are there to remind me to be cautious in when and how I reply to avoid unnecessary conflict, anger and hurt feelings on everyone's part. That is, when I read the posts. I don't always. There are only 24 hours in a day after all. lol

I can no longer enjoy those occasional fights. My heart starts pounding because my blood pressure goes up from the stress and that scares the crap out of me. Besides, I've always been a peacemaker. It bothers me to see people fighting when there are better ways to settle differences. 

grouphug.gif.1685fcd86688f3f5c386375c703455c8.gif

ETA: When I was a small child I never got angry about anything my brother did to me. I have a lump in my arm where he would frog punch me every time he would just walk past me. That's just one of the bullying things he did on a daily basis. Then one day my mom told me instead of feeling hurt, get mad. That was the one thing my mom did that I wish she never had because now, a little over 50 years later... it's become a nuisance. My temper is far quicker to boil over now that it was even just 10 years ago.

Edited by Selene Gregoire
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1541 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.