wanting to make custom skins for dawn kingdom's wyvern...

Rumancekk

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I want to make a custom skin for the dawn kingdom's wyvern but I don't have the slightest idea on how to do it. It comes with a pdf with a bunch of different maps but I can't figure out which I should edit if I just want to make myself a specific color, or how I would upload that. I looked at the instructions but it basically said 'you should know how to do this already so i'm not going to tell you'.

Can someone help me out here?

1 answer to this question

Hi, @Rumancekk!

The maps you got are meant to be used as templates in Photoshop or GIMP or any similar image-editing software.  I'm surprised they were in a PDF format rather than PSD (Photoshop document).  Or perhaps you meant PSD?

In any case, get them into your image editing software, by whatever means are necessary.  Use them as templates.  Since you say you just want to change the color, try making a new layer, color it, and blend it with the base (template) layer.  If the base layer is already colored, try converting it to grayscale before blending it with your color layer.  Or use whatever Photoshop editing techniques you need to get the look you want.  Save the end results as flat image files in PNG or JPEG format, in the same size (number of pixels horizontally and vertically) as the texture files in your Wyvern (check the Content folder of the wyvern object).  Upload the textures to SL, and then substitute your textures for the ones in your Wyvern.

You'll note the image maps have odd shapes.  This is because they are "UV maps"...the 3D Wyvern model has been split apart and "flattened" to form these maps.  When they are applied to the 3D object, they'll wrap neatly around it and create the final textured object.

Needless to say, it's a good idea to make backup copies of everything before messing about with it.  Also, you can save upload fees by using the beta ("Aditi") grid for testing, or using temporary texture uploads.  Only pay for the uploads when you're satisfied with the final results.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1560 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.