Why do some sims just kill the Black Dragon viewer?

Jackson Redstar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This isn't meant to be a knock on the BD viewer, just trying to understand what the viewer is trying to load in vs Firestorm... Some sims on BD it can barely get 1fps on landing and never ramps up. I see the CPU load at about 50-60%, GPU almost at idle. FS will chug a bit at first at the same sim (both only maybe 5 avies on it) with the CPU running along at about 50% or so, but after a short bit, the sim is 'drawn, CPU drops down and FPS comes up. I know some sims are chug monsters they just never get good FPS . Shaders on but shadows off, all other settings roughly the same. So it got me wondering what the BD is trying to load differently than FS. Anybody have any guesses?

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (3597.91 MHz)
Memory: 16326 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (Build 18363.535)
Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Graphics Card: GeForce GTX 1080/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 26.21.14.4166
OpenGL Version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 441.66

SLURL's to these places would be a good start, other than that i assume its something you've set. With your Intel you should never run into a situation where you are getting only 1 FPS, EVER, it's straight up impossible with normal settings.

I went to places, enabled full res textures, disabled impostors and jellydolls, let everyone fully load and even though my GPU was basically burning in hell i was still getting more than just 1 FPS and that was with shadows and everything on. There were like 30 people around so i doubt you can manage to drop that low without *****ing up a setting somewhere.

4 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

thanks Niran Ill do a clean install on this and see how it goes

It's intersting you say the GPU was maxed as my CPU ramps if first then after a while the CPU from sown and the GPU comes up some

My GPU wasn't maxed, just dying because it was shoving textures around in memory which kills performance, if you want to max your GPU turn SSR or Volumetric Lighting resolution up, or go super nuts with Depth of Field blur.

I have noticed on BD what i consider a 'hard' sim, lots of mesh, lots of alphas, it would always take a long time at low fps and for things to even start rezzing and go from grey, whereas FS seems to have a easier time on these sorts of sims, so i had assumed (maybe incorrectly) that maybe something was different between the 2 viewers (other than the obvious, of course) but maybe it just something in my system or settings that is borked. I do ensure both viewers are on the white list for the firewall. I just wonder since BD isn't 'officially' signed by MS if that also has something to do with it like something in windows is giving the viewer low priority or something 

28 minutes ago, Jackson Redstar said:

I have noticed on BD what i consider a 'hard' sim, lots of mesh, lots of alphas, it would always take a long time at low fps and for things to even start rezzing and go from grey, whereas FS seems to have a easier time on these sorts of sims, so i had assumed (maybe incorrectly) that maybe something was different between the 2 viewers (other than the obvious, of course) but maybe it just something in my system or settings that is borked. I do ensure both viewers are on the white list for the firewall. I just wonder since BD isn't 'officially' signed by MS if that also has something to do with it like something in windows is giving the viewer low priority or something 

What you see is probably a combination of a lot of small factors coming together.

FS uses KDU, BD uses OpenJpeg. OpenJpeg is known to be much slower, which would explain texture loading/decoding times. Meshes and other objects i dont know, i'd assume Firestorm has probably made alterations to how items are downloaded/cached to improve performance and/or reliability. And there's always the "random" aspect of SL. I've never seen a difference in loading times between OpenJpeg and KDU which is why i don't believe in a use for KDU. OpenJpeg is totally fine until it isnt anymore.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.