The KFC Vegan Burger

TheydonBois

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I read up on the KFC chicken sandwich and it's Quorn™ which is made with mycoprotein - a kind of fungus. Developed in the UK, the original vegetarian version is made with egg-whites but the newer vegan version does not contain egg-whites. Also, the majority of people who eat Quorn products are meat-eaters.

7 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

I don't eat chicken. Have you seen what they feed them? 🤮 
At least with Virtual chicken you could open a drive thru store in SL
KVC - KentuckedUp Virtual Chicken 😋  

They actually feed them scraps of other chickens - chickens are quite willing to eat each other.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The only chicken I eat is right from our farm..Same with beef and venison and pretty much most of our food..

I've seen how big livestock plants run first hand by visiting a few..I wouldn't eat any of it either..

Most restaurant kitchens aren't much better when it comes to sanitation. 

Pig plants are the worst.  Chickens just cluck till they're dead, cows are pretty much clueless, but pigs...they know 2 blocks away what is coming up and the sound of a truckload of hogs squealing in fear stays with you. 

But an hour later, the bacon tastes just as good as always.

• Like 1

no thanks. i prefer meat and don't want to look like a granny  and have joint pain at 30 years due to lack of colagen in my body. Vegans do age quite fast. But it's up to them to live this lifestyle. Live and let live.  i have a history of anemia i simply can't function without meat. Iron supps make me nauseous beyond belief and they don't absorb as good as natural iron.

Edited by Jeny Howlett
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Most restaurant kitchens aren't much better when it comes to sanitation. 

Pig plants are the worst.  Chickens just cluck till they're dead, cows are pretty much clueless, but pigs...they know 2 blocks away what is coming up and the sound of a truckload of hogs squealing in fear stays with you. 

If you want the best beef or pork or really anything like that,that you can get from your stock..The cows or hogs or whatever need to be removed from the others,then need to be relaxed beforehand for 30 days and then never know it happened..

Trust me when I say,cows know something is up and can get all stressed out beforehand as well and it does affect the quality..

You can tell by the size of the heart..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Can confirm. I've worked across the street from one for 14 years. Over 10,000 pigs a day slaughtered. I still haven't gotten used to the sound. And the smell on a hot summer day? Oh my lord...

They do try to be good neighbors (they were there about 40 years before we were) and bring their huge grill over and host a barbecue for us a couple times a year.

Best. Ribs. Ever. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I may be wrong, but I believe animals for kosher meat are not fed offal, or indeed other meat of any kind. Happy to be corrected.

19 minutes ago, Jeny Howlett said:

i have a history of anemia i simply can't function without meat. Iron supps make me nauseous beyond belief and they don't absorb as good as natural iron.

Eat your greens. And your lentils, chickpeas and beans. Every day. 

22 minutes ago, Jeny Howlett said:

Vegans do age quite fast.

Can't say the evidence of my eyes supports this, but animal rights activists do tend to use fewer cosmetics. Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

I may be wrong, but I believe animals for kosher meat are not fed offal, or indeed other meat of any kind. Happy to be corrected.

Eat your greens. And your lentils, chickpeas and beans. Every day. 

Can't say the evidence of my eyes supports this, but animal rights activists do tend to use fewer cosmetics. Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Sorry but greens make me bloated. And like i said its up to them how they want to live. I normally don't use cosmetics at all - like foundation, mascara ect. So it's not just animal rights activists who stay away from it.

Edited by Jeny Howlett

6 minutes ago, Jeny Howlett said:

Sorry but greens make me bloated. 

Try the other stuff as well. Lentils, pumpkin seeds, figs, dried apricots, dates, beans. I'm ex-anaemic too, so you have my sympathy. 

I'm not trying to convert anyone. I'm not vegan although I know I should be. Just trying to demonstrate that meat is really not the only decent source of iron. Although I do remember, when I first went veggie as a youngster, how often I was told that I'd soon be stunted, spindly, stupid and prematurely aged with permanent IBS. I've now been veggie for quite a long time and they haven't said "I told you so", so I'm assuming I haven't turned out quite as badly as they thought. Though they have to take my word on the IBS. I have no symptoms, honestly.

I mean, it's quite possible to have a bad or healthy diet that is meaty, veggie or vegan. It's not really as simple as any one of them automatically being terrible. But I don't like to perpetuate the idea that there's stuff in meat that can't be found in plants because it simply isn't true, though it may take a bit more effort.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

Try the other stuff as well. Lentils, pumpkin seeds, figs, dried apricots, dates, beans. I'm ex-anaemic too, so you have my sympathy. 

I'm not trying to convert anyone. I'm not vegan although I know I should be. Just trying to demonstrate that meat is really not the only decent source of iron. Although I do remember, when I first went veggie as a youngster, how often I was told that I'd soon be stunted, spindly, stupid and prematurely aged with permanent IBS. I've now been veggie for quite a long time and they haven't said "I told you so", so I'm assuming I haven't turned out quite as badly as they thought. Though they have to take my word on the IBS. I have no symptoms, honestly.

I mean, it's quite possible to have a bad or healthy diet that is meaty, veggie or vegan. It's not really as simple as any one of them automatically being terrible. But I don't like to perpetuate the idea that there's stuff in meat that can't be found in plants because it simply isn't true, though it may take a bit more effort.

I have to say,I love veggies more than meat..There is so much good for you in those and fruits and nuts as well.. Just a banana a day is so beneficial..

Plus veggies just always feel like natures starburst with as much water you get with each bite.. I can eat veggies like popcorn during a movie..hehehe

I keep cut up veggies in the fridge for the boys..they can snack on those as much as they like ,because candy is not an option or soda.

'Also,Hard boiled eggs I add to just about everything,mainly because I love hard boiled eggs and also, I have more eggs than I know what to do with and can't give them away fast enough..

It doesn't take that many chickens to become overwhelmed with eggs..hehehe

For me,veggies are far more important because of the benefits,especially the immunity building they bring.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Amina Sopwith said:

i guess the key is to find what works the best for our bodies as each body is different.  Personally i try to stay away from things that make me super bloated and feeling not quite well.  Like some people are lactose intolerant ect. Despite that i stay away from fast food and super processed foods, prefer home cooked meals. And yes i do eat some veggies and fruits  but things like tomatos and paprika  i am allergic to. I used to be able to eat those  until i turned 25 i guess either my gut became more sensitive or they started to spray different chemicals on the fields. Anyway, Thanks for your suggestions and no offence taken :)

Edited by Jeny Howlett
  • Like 1

With all this said, I do think that the planet and a lot of people's health would benefit if they ate LESS meat. The McCartneys used to advocate Meat Free Mondays, which I thought was a good idea, although six days a week still strikes me as a lot.

If nothing else, we need vegans because last year Greggs (a cheap and cheerful baked goods chain) launched a vegan sausage roll and caused Piers Morgan to absolutely lose his rag. Whoever does the Greggs Twitter account isn't getting paid enough. I'll have to catch up with what happened over their new vegan steak bake. 

Having trouble doing clicks links on my phone, but try this: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/showbiz-news/piers-morgan-greggs-vegan-sausage-15622302.amp 

Edited by Amina Sopwith

Ooh, just to add: what that article doesn't cover is that after Piers continued in another John Nobhead-style tantrum after Greggs' first response, they replied with, "It's a vegan sausage roll, Piers."

Take me, Greggs social media account manager. I'm yours. 

On 1/4/2020 at 8:03 PM, Amina Sopwith said:

With all this said, I do think that the planet and a lot of people's health would benefit if they ate LESS meat. The McCartneys used to advocate Meat Free Mondays, which I thought was a good idea, although six days a week still strikes me as a lot.

If nothing else, we need vegans because last year Greggs (a cheap and cheerful baked goods chain) launched a vegan sausage roll and caused Piers Morgan to absolutely lose his rag. Whoever does the Greggs Twitter account isn't getting paid enough. I'll have to catch up with what happened over their new vegan steak bake. 

Having trouble doing clicks links on my phone, but try this: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/showbiz-news/piers-morgan-greggs-vegan-sausage-15622302.amp 

At the risk of sounding a little too conspiracy theory, Piers Morgan and Greggs share a publicity company (or parent company of said publicity companies), and a Piers Morgan freakout is some of the best advertising you can get :P

Also, while I'm perfectly happy with people cutting some/all meat out of their diet for environmental reasons - watch what you replace it with. Heavily processed soy imported a significant difference can be on par and even worse than meat, in ecological terms - the footprint of meat varies wildly though, so it depends. Where I used to live, local beef and lamb raised on the hills and moors (not suitable for arable crops) is on par or better than many meat-replacement-heavy vegan diets, in purely eco terms. Where your food comes from and what has been done to it matters almost as much as what it actually is.

(You can eat whatever the heck you want privately, of course; but if people are going to preach about their food habits, it helps if their diet is actually better)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/6/2020 at 2:03 AM, AyelaNewLife said:

Also, while I'm perfectly happy with people cutting some/all meat out of their diet for environmental reasons - watch what you replace it with. Heavily processed soy imported a significant difference can be on par and even worse than meat, in ecological terms - the footprint of meat varies wildly though, so it depends. Where I used to live, local beef and lamb raised on the hills and moors (not suitable for arable crops) is on par or better than many meat-replacement-heavy vegan diets, in purely eco terms. Where your food comes from and what has been done to it matters almost as much as what it actually is.

(You can eat whatever the heck you want privately, of course; but if people are going to preach about their food habits, it helps if their diet is actually better)

What the hell are you basing your view on that plant-based alternatives can be on par or even worse than meat overall? Just because soy can be imported, or some more water can be used for nuts than some particular animal products, or that you are using land for farming animals that couldn't be used for some plant agriculture (while we wouldn't even need to care about that as animal products supply with just 18% of global calories while using 83% of all farmland), that really doesn't mean these foods have an overall bigger impact than animal products. Just think about the resources and the pollution billions of farmed animals require/leave, especially if they are well cared for (e.g. given a lot of space and their hygiene is ensured) and are let to live a bit longer. And the areas where groups of animals are let to graze on very soon become devoid of natural diversity, soil erosion is massively boosted and local waterways get contaminated with fecal waste, not to mention the necessity to protect the animals from any predators. I know that you pulled this conclusion out of your ass. 

81380924_3495002013875722_395611628067880960_n.jpg

• Haha 1

On 1/2/2020 at 8:58 PM, TheydonBois said:

Most exciting start to a new year in LIVING MEMORY...I feel 50% excited, 50% panicking for not having had it yet.

Has anyone tried it yet? Can anyone report on what it's like? I was going to get one tomorrow but would appreciate some feedback. 

just ... you know why cooking it on same grill they cooken the meat on.....

15 hours ago, Tru3human3on said:

What the hell are you basing your view on that plant-based alternatives can be on par or even worse than meat overall? Just because soy can be imported, or some more water can be used for nuts than some particular animal products, or that you are using land for farming animals that couldn't be used for some plant agriculture (while we wouldn't even need to care about that as animal products supply with just 18% of global calories while using 83% of all farmland), that really doesn't mean these foods have an overall bigger impact than animal products. Just think about the resources and the pollution billions of farmed animals require/leave, especially if they are well cared for (e.g. given a lot of space and their hygiene is ensured) and are let to live a bit longer. And the areas where groups of animals are let to graze on very soon become devoid of natural diversity, soil erosion is massively boosted and local waterways get contaminated with fecal waste, not to mention the necessity to protect the animals from any predators. I know that you pulled this conclusion out of your ass. 

So for context, I'm talking from a UK point of view here. The environmental impact of importing food will of course differ from wherever you might be, for exceptionally obvious reasons.

If all else is equalised, meat has a far more significant environmental impact than plant-based foods; for example, growing veg in your garden compared to rearing livestock in your garden. But reality is far more complex than that overly simplistic approach. You simply cannot eat crops grown locally and externally all year round, the climate does not allow for that. In reality, your food usually goes through extra steps which adds to the environmental impact of said food, often significantly. There's three main types of "added carbon":

• Growing methods. For us in the UK, most of our tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and lettuces are grown either in the UK in massive greenhouses - artificially heated and lighted - or in Spain, grown under similar conditions outside a longer 'normal' growing season. Greenhouse-grown veg under these conditions have a similar carbon footprint to chicken and turkey.
  • Transport. Putting any food on a cargo ship and hauling it around the world objectively increases its carbon footprint. 
  • Processing. Many meat-replacements require intensive processing stages compared to meat. For Quorn products, the processing stages account for just over half the total emissions for the total process, which includes shipment of raw inputs but not finished products. 

Now all of these stages can of course apply to meat too; which just makes that meat super-bad for the environment. For example, battery-reared beef account for most of the UK's soy consumption, and much of our off-season beef is imported from Argentina, and lamb from New Zealand. This food obviously has a far, far higher environmental impact than anything vegetarian or vegan. But not all meat is like that. I grew up surrounded by sheep grown on non-arable land, which we bought at a butcher's shop within walking distance of our house. Meat like this that's at the lowest end of the environmental impact scale can easily be on par with the worst non-meat alternatives.

My overall point though was this: while on the whole non-meat is significantly better for the environment than meat, that rule is not universally true, and if you're seeking to lower your environmental impact then more care is needed in your choice of diet than simply "meat = bad". It's more complicated than that.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.