The KFC Vegan Burger

TheydonBois

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

There are usually 3-5 threads at a time just on the first page of General Discussions (I never go past page 1) that are non-SL related, yet LL does nothing about it.  Just another example of them being absentee landlords.

I have sort of thought of this sub-forum as the OT forum, but looking at the description, it does say  "Second Life discussions welcome here.' (emphasis mine) Perhaps we need an OT forum? I guess it is ultimately all up to LL, either let this be a de facto OT forum, or whatever.

4 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

As for the vegans and such: why would you go into a place that specializes in dead animal products to begin with? LOL

I can't answer for everyone, and I am a vegetarian, not vegan, but for me it is the same reason that I think most people go to fast food places: convenience. It isn't like there are chains of vegetarian fast-food places around, much less vegan places, at least where I live. It's hard to even find something to eat at most sit-down places; occasionally I have to go someplace with other people where I have to just order a salad, and ask them to leave out the big chunks of meat and the little chunks of bacon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:
2 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

There are usually 3-5 threads at a time just on the first page of General Discussions (I never go past page 1) that are non-SL related, yet LL does nothing about it.  Just another example of them being absentee landlords.

I have sort of thought of this sub-forum as the OT forum, but looking at the description, it does say  "Second Life discussions welcome here.' (emphasis mine) Perhaps we need an OT forum? I guess it is ultimately all up to LL, either let this be a de facto OT forum, or whatever.

Even though the forum description specifically says 'Second Life', one of the mods did post a comment about non-SL general discussions being okay here.  I have the post saved at home, so I can add it to this later today.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Alyona Su said:

Though every nutritionist report I've read about all these plant-based meat substitutes are that they are not healthier in any meaningful way.

The regular meat has a lot of alt added to it and so the sodium content is almost the same. Though there is less fat, there is more carbohydrates, and the calories savings is, what? 150 calories? It hardly makes it worth the higher price. Unless you actually enjoy the flavor of it.

I've heard complaints about plant based burgers containing more sodium and fat per calorie, though I haven't really looked into it. I don't at all get the appeal of fast food though, I'll have a burger or kebab at the end of a night out on occasion. If I want a burger, I'll buy some minced meat and make my own patties (a burger patty should always be 100% beef and no additives except salt and pepper, and the meat should have a high fat content of 16-20%). It's so quick and easy to cook it yourself, and it's cheaper, healthier, and you get a tasty quality burger without any artificial junk in it, and no excessive fat (a patty with the correct fat content doesn't even need fat in the pan to cook).

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

I've heard complaints about plant based burgers containing more sodium and fat per calorie, though I haven't really looked into it. I don't at all get the appeal of fast food though, I'll have a burger or kebab at the end of a night out on occasion. If I want a burger, I'll buy some minced meat and make my own patties (a burger patty should always be 100% beef and no additives except salt and pepper, and the meat should have a high fat content of 16-20%). It's so quick and easy to cook it yourself, and it's cheaper, healthier, and you get a tasty quality burger without any artificial junk in it, and no excessive fat (a patty with the correct fat content doesn't even need fat in the pan to cook).

I agree. I usually go for the salads, though I like a place here called Wendy's - they have more variety in their menu, like baked potato, chili and so on. I don't go to fast food places as often as many do for the basic reason that there is zero service. You are just a number, they try to take in as much cash as possible in as little time as possible, so you pay for your meal, then they push you away from the register to take the next person's money. No waiting area, no place to loiter... then they call out "Customer Number 000" (rather than "order number") - so they even call you by what you are: just a number.

The food doesn't taste all the great, either. You get better-tasting food, for the same cost and actual service at most sit-down places. And the wait for the food isn't a whole lot longer (unless you order a steak or something) and you don't pay for your meal until after you've eaten it.

I think of fast-food as "mail-order food" - you pay now then who knows how long it is before delivery and it's not delivery, you have to go back to the place your ordered it from to pick it up. IF you hear the number they call out.

People are such sheep. These places have been training people to just accept rude service. It's amazing. LOL

1 hour ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Emphasis is mine. This is the "General" discussion forum and where all non-SL-related discussions are supposed to go. :)

EDIT: To fix the font for Orwar! 😄

Edited by Alyona Su
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Emphasis is mine. This is the "General" discussion forum and where all non-SL-related discussions are supposed to go. :)

Works for me, but as anyone who has seen many of my posts knows, I am the worst about getting OT. I know it drives some people crazy, though (I have been called out for it in a certain long-running thread, and don't participate in it anymore because of my tendency to to that), so having an OT forum is nice. :)

7 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

Works for me, but as anyone who has seen many of my posts knows, I am the worst about getting OT. I know it drives some people crazy, though (I have been called out for it in a certain long-running thread, and don't participate in it anymore because of my tendency to to that), so having an OT forum is nice. :)

Hahaha! Yes, I can go OT a lot, too, but will try to, at least, plop an OT sentence in them. As for anyone who gets crazy about it, it's their issue, not ours. LOL Just like how people get all upset over revival of necro'd threads. Their greater-than-thou attitudes give them cause to respond with nothing more that some form of "shame on you," rather than answering with a meaningful reply, then kindly mentioning they may want to pay more attention to comment and thread dates.

Let's get together and see how many forums people we can annoy! :D

My five principles about vegan/vegetarian diet:

• It's not particularly healthy.
  • It's not particularly environmental friendly.
  • It doesn't make you a better person.
  • It's perfectly ok as a personal preference as long as you make sure you get enough of the nutrients plant food tends to be short on (such as vitamin B12, calcium, zinc, iron and proteins).

And the most important one:

• Nobody should make a big fuss about it.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Alyona Su said:

Hahaha! Yes, I can go OT a lot, too, but will try to, at least, plop an OT sentence in them. As for anyone who gets crazy about it, it's their issue, not ours. LOL Just like how people get all upset over revival of necro'd threads. Their greater-than-thou attitudes give them cause to respond with nothing more that some form of "shame on you," rather than answering with a meaningful reply, then kindly mentioning they may want to pay more attention to comment and thread dates.

Let's get together and see how many forums people we can annoy! :D

It's ironic, when the same people who complain about OT do the same thing, it's ok, at least the thread I am thinking of.

Wrt the annoying others thing, I am not much into fighting, I would rather just walk away. I have a lot bigger problems in my life than dealing with difficult strangers in some obscure online forum.

1 minute ago, Alyona Su said:

Let them have the last word because silence is argument by another means.

I can see how this is so, and I guess that is my motivation sometimes, if I am honest, but really I try more to keep in mind something I read long ago: When you refuse to fight, you leave the battlefield (this does not apply to real battlefields, of course, where the opposition would just kill you or capture and imprison you, lol).

59 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:
1 hour ago, CaerolleClaudel said:
3 hours ago, Tolya Ugajin said:

Even though the forum description specifically says 'Second Life', one of the mods did post a comment about non-SL general discussions being okay here.  I have the post saved at home, so I can add it to this later today.

I guess it's time to quote from the Community Participation Guidelines again...

• Off Topic Content: Please keep your commentary relevant to the discussion and within the format that the forum, board or question and answer area require. (For example, in the Answers section, please follow the Q&A format of the discussion.) Content that is blatantly off topic is not permitted. You may also not post regarding subjects that do not relate to Second Life except in the General forum discussion board.

We actually had to rattle LL's cage a while back to have GD reinstated. It does us no good to question the permission we sought.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

58 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I think the reason they said it was ok is because,it say's it's ok in the community guide lines..

Off Topic Content: Please keep your commentary relevant to the discussion and within the format that the forum, board or question and answer area require. (For example, in the Answers section, please follow the Q&A format of the discussion.) Content that is blatantly off topic is not permitted. You may also not post regarding subjects that do not relate to Second Life except in the General forum discussion board.

They do seem to frown on politics though,which who can blame them..hehehe

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

And wouldn't it be nice if the Mods got out of bed earlier sometimes and stamped on things before they got nasty?

3 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

• Off Topic Content: Please keep your commentary relevant to the discussion and within the format that the forum, board or question and answer area require. (For example, in the Answers section, please follow the Q&A format of the discussion.) Content that is blatantly off topic is not permitted. You may also not post regarding subjects that do not relate to Second Life except in the General forum discussion board.

We actually had to rattle LL's cage a while back to have GD reinstated. It does us no good to question the permission we sought.

JINX!!

hehehehe

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Odaks said:

And wouldn't it be nice if the Mods got out of bed earlier sometimes and stamped on things before they got nasty?

I try to avoid those threads,for as long as I can..

If anything I like the make light of them..

Free meme time hehehehe

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We should rename this thread "Ways for LL to help fight climate change". 

1. LL employees get coupons for KFC vegan sandwiches and impossible burgers. 

2. LL employees to ride or walk to work every day 

3. Random shutdown of sims to save power. 

4. Invite Greta Thundberg to speak virtually so she doesn't have to take gas powered vehicles 

Edited by Bree Giffen
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

We should rename this thread "Ways for LL to help fight climate change". 

1. LL employees get coupons for KFC vegan sandwiches and impossible burgers. 

But are they good for the environment? There's a Swedish burger chain called 'Max', who instead have a co2 compensation program; part of their profit is spent to replanting forests. Besides, the environmental impact of the modern meat industry is very varied depending on where you are - the US, Australia, Brazil, and other such places with mass production, where the cows are fed corn or soy rather than grazing grass, are the main offenders: cows that eat grass produce less methane, than cows that are fed with starchy substitutes. And, when cows graze, they keep meadows open, and meadows bind a lot of carbon.

5 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

2. LL employees to ride or walk to work every day 

Using communal traffic whenever possible should always be encouraged, as should walking or riding a bike. I don't know enough about what's available around LL's offices though, but even when there is communal traffic available, a lot of people still want to drive their own cars because it's 'more convenient'. I don't expect the LL employees to be different from other people in this regard.

9 minutes ago, Bree Giffen said:

3. Random shutdown of sims to save power.

I'm guessing that a lot of people would be very opposed to this. But yes, I find myself looking at the map more often these days than I used to, and it strikes me that there are vast swathes of empty regions; a region shutting down when no one has been on it for a while, and starting up when someone tries to enter it, perhaps? I'm not sure how well it would work in practice, though.

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Do vegans produce as much methane as the cows they're not eating?

Vegans don't tend to be more flatulent than others, although a person switching to a vegetarian or vegan diet may experience an increase as their body adjusts to it, as most people don't eat as much fiber.

As for total environmental impact, vegans are generally worse than 'regular' people (depending on where you live, and such); Scandinavians importing avocado from Mexico and tofu from Asia have a much larger co2 footprint due to the transportation, than a person who eats a moderate diet of meat and diary produced locally.

Besides, due to the US' political and trade shenanigans, Mexico is both the largest producer of avocado, the biggest exporter of avocado, and the largest importer of avocado.

And the 'locally produced' tofu (there's a plant near Stockholm), import their soy from southern France. At that point it would be better to just produce the tofu in France and import the tofu, as there's a lot of waste in the production (and the energy and water consumption of tofu production is very high, compared to regular diary production).

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Vegans don't tend to be more flatulent than others, although a person switching to a vegetarian or vegan diet may experience an increase as their body adjusts to it, as most people don't eat as much fiber.

As for total environmental impact, vegans are generally worse than 'regular' people (depending on where you live, and such); Scandinavians importing avocado from Mexico and tofu from Asia have a much larger co2 footprint due to the transportation, than a person who eats a moderate diet of meat and diary produced locally.

Besides, due to the US' political and trade shenanigans, Mexico is both the largest producer of avocado, the biggest exporter of avocado, and the largest importer of avocado.

And the 'locally produced' tofu (there's a plant near Stockholm), import their soy from southern France. At that point it would be better to just produce the tofu in France and import the tofu, as there's a lot of waste in the production (and the energy and water consumption of tofu production is very high, compared to regular diary production).

You are touching upon some of the realities of the "window dressing" measures that are being lauded at the moment. The UK news recently trumpeted that we had had our first ever "wholly-renewable-energy" day, but this only looked at the output factors. The incredibly high carbon footprint of manufacturing, installing, maintenance and ultimate renewal of these energy generation systems got conveniently ignored. The chances of even finding out what these really are, are not good.

There is no doubt in my mind that we have got to make some serious changes to the way we view energy generation, supply and usage in the future, but I am very worried that we are being hoodwinked by popularist measures that, if looked at properly, achieve nothing and might even be making things worse.

In the meanwhile, fart away to your heart's desire!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Odaks said:

There is no doubt in my mind that we have got to make some serious changes to the way we view energy generation, supply and usage in the future, but I am very worried that we are being hoodwinked by popularist measures that, if looked at properly, achieve nothing and might even be making things worse.

We've talked a lot about this in Sweden, too. Most of our production comes from hydropower, and is produced in the northern parts of the country. This has a lot of negative impact, but it's a better option generally speaking, than coal power. Germany is an excellent example of moving too fast with the popular movement though, they were the greenest country in Europe, and decided to immediately change all their production to wind, water and solar - which failed capitally, and forced them to go back to coal (rather than 'turning on' the nuclear plants again), and is now a major coal consumer in Europe.

People are generally frightened by nuclear power, especially with TV series like Chernobyl reminding people or informing the younger generations of that catastrophe, and Fukushima is still fresh in our minds - but it's also one of the safest and most reliable means of energy production. Even with the most generous estimates of death and injury by the world's nuclear disasters, it's nowhere near as damaging as coal. And, with the new generation of nuclear power that's currently being looked into, i.e. using thorium rather than uranium or plutonium, waste would become a much more manageable issue:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I think the reason they said it was ok is because,it say's it's ok in the community guide lines..

Off Topic Content: Please keep your commentary relevant to the discussion and within the format that the forum, board or question and answer area require. (For example, in the Answers section, please follow the Q&A format of the discussion.) Content that is blatantly off topic is not permitted. You may also not post regarding subjects that do not relate to Second Life except in the General forum discussion board.

I knew I had seen that noted somewhere 

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I do have a post saved, from one of the Lindens, that specifically says politics should not be discussed here.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1530 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.