Linden homes lag

AriannaCarmen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm experiencing terrible lag in Linden homes.  It takes forever to even see the house and wall colors, and when I rez something it takes forever to rez.  My typical FPS is 80-150, but there it's 4-12.  I end up getting frustrated and leaving. It's not fun when it takes 5 or more minutes to see what you've rezzed.  Even trying to look at a texture in my inventory took forever to become visible.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Tori Landau said:

Hi Arianna, I'm having the same problem.  Try reducing your draw distance down to the lowest level and also reducing the complexity of your avatar.  I use one of the Linden Classic avatars.  Hopefully this helps you a bit.  Best wishes, Tori

Thanks, Tori, but there's no way I'm going to use a Linden avatar and strip off everything I'm wearing, just to be able to walk in my house or rez some items. My complexity is under 50k. Just rezzing a simple pillow on the floor took forever to see more than just a gray blob. It's 2020 and LL should be able to do much better than this. :( 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, AriannaCarmen said:

Thanks, Tori, but there's no way I'm going to use a Linden avatar and strip off everything I'm wearing, just to be able to walk in my house or rez some items. My complexity is under 50k. Just rezzing a simple pillow on the floor took forever to see more than just a gray blob. It's 2020 and LL should be able to do much better than this. :( 

There must be something going on, because most people are not having this sort of issue. Try the suggestions in the thread mentioned above, and inspect to see if something in your area is causing the issue. You can also file a ticket with support asking for someone to come check it out if you suspect there is something taking up excessive region resources. 

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, AriannaCarmen said:

You shouldn't have to revert to a system avatar. Some areas of Bellisseria are worse than others, depending on what people have rezzed at their homes.  So much of the furniture and landscaping in SL is not made in an optimized way.  One way to see how much of it might be your stuff versus other stuff in the region is to drop your draw distance down to 32 and see how things rez.  Then slowly increase it until you find the breaking point.

• Like 5

Much of lag will be determined by your neighbors and what they rez.

What region are you on? Or do you notice this in more than one region?

You have a blank profile with no info, picks, or groups - so I have no way of finding out which part of Bellisseria you're in unless you volunteer that information.

Unfortunately the land covenant does not specifically ban things like gatchas and sculpties - that often induce lag. Nor badly made mesh that is similarly troubled. Nor is there a limit on how much script memory can someone be using... With some looking around - folks can determine if one or more of these are the issue...

Otherwise you just have to play the game of house hunting until you get good neighbors... Unless the problem is you or something you've rezzed in which case it will only go away once you isolate what it is and get rid of it.

Things like RLV, Dance HUDs, wearing lots of scripted items, wearing badly optimized clothing, etc...

Again on seeing your avatar many of us would be able to tell - how much script time do you take up, what is your complexity score, etc...

Linden Lab can only fix the issue by mass banning a LOT of bad items, blocking all sculpties, and putting script caps on both avatars and land - all of which are things people who do not know better would object to...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

If your viewer allows it make a graphics pre-set for Bellisseria. What ever graphic setting you're using knock it back one or two levels if you're not on the lowest setting make your draw distance low save it and activate it before you teleport. you could also experiment with temporary derendering any trees, plants, shrubs with in view distance in your viewer to see what effect that has on performance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You shouldn't have to revert to a system avatar. Some areas of Bellisseria are worse than others, depending on what people have rezzed at their homes.  So much of the furniture and landscaping in SL is not made in an optimized way.  One way to see how much of it might be your stuff versus other stuff in the region is to drop your draw distance down to 32 and see how things rez.  Then slowly increase it until you find the breaking point.

A few hours ago, I dropped my draw distance down and that helped. I'm still over 100 and it's working better. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Much of lag will be determined by your neighbors and what they rez.

What region are you on? Or do you notice this in more than one region?

You have a blank profile with no info, picks, or groups - so I have no way of finding out which part of Bellisseria you're in unless you volunteer that information.

Unfortunately the land covenant does not specifically ban things like gatchas and sculpties - that often induce lag. Nor badly made mesh that is similarly troubled. Nor is there a limit on how much script memory can someone be using... With some looking around - folks can determine if one or more of these are the issue...

Otherwise you just have to play the game of house hunting until you get good neighbors... Unless the problem is you or something you've rezzed in which case it will only go away once you isolate what it is and get rid of it.

Things like RLV, Dance HUDs, wearing lots of scripted items, wearing badly optimized clothing, etc...

Again on seeing your avatar many of us would be able to tell - how much script time do you take up, what is your complexity score, etc...

Linden Lab can only fix the issue by mass banning a LOT of bad items, blocking all sculpties, and putting script caps on both avatars and land - all of which are things people who do not know better would object to...

I'm in the Bennet region (and I haven't bothered updating my profile. It still has my old system pic) 

• Like 2

So here's an actual example of a temp-rez-object I just found this morning in Coral Bay:

c74c110c1fce44f1341a1690881d57b3.jpg

Had to guess where my mini-map was calling out, and then find something that when I used 'edit' showed as "temporary".

The blue on the minimap is objects I owns, all the grey and black is objects others own. I don't personally know what the difference is between grey and black...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Hopefully you ARd that since temp rezzers are not allowed per covenant.

Not yet.

I expanded this comment in the other lag thread. I suspect there is a very high chance the person who rezzed this doesn't know it's a temp rezzer. Most dining table furniture doesn't rez with temps... they just likely had their table set out a dining arraignment and assumed everything was good.

I know I usually say AR because I don't believe it's punitive. But this one has me pausing because it looks like an accident. Still - it IS creating region lag. Just need a little time to think about the best way to respond.

• Like 1

This is 2 other brands and 3 models of dining tables; not using temp rezz for the same purpose:

cc1e00307f87a2a0db41b5cd8d683c7b.jpg

Note how the neighbor has so much temp rez you'd go blind in there... O.o That's mainland where... it's not banned. Fortunately this region has only 5 parcels on it so she can try as hard as she wants to lag us, but she can't succeed...

Before today I am not sure if I'd ever thought to consider that some dining tables might do this with a temp-rezzer even though it seems obvious on reflection... temp-rezz items use up "0" of your land impact... They are "charged" against region resources... they were intended for things like projectiles in 'shooter games'...

EDIT: re-examined my neighbor in Coral Bay. The brand they use IS the same as 2 of the ones in my image above - but an OLDER product. Despite using temp-rezzers, it actually uses up TWICE the land-impact as the newer items I showed above... It's basically an 'early learning item' from a now well respected brand...

1 hour ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

EDIT: re-examined my neighbor in Coral Bay. The brand they use IS the same as 2 of the ones in my image above - but an OLDER product. Despite using temp-rezzers, it actually uses up TWICE the land-impact as the newer items I showed above... It's basically an 'early learning item' from a now well respected brand...

I'd probably send the neighbor a notecard then, explaining about the temp rezzers and telling them that the new products don't use the temp rezzers and maybe they should contact the creator about getting an upgrade.

16 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'd probably send the neighbor a notecard then, explaining about the temp rezzers and telling them that the new products don't use the temp rezzers and maybe they should contact the creator about getting an upgrade.

This particular old item is still sold with a temp-rez:

5f621829b39d0b16b0522724f3fbf1be.jpg

That seems to be the pattern for all of their pre-mesh items.

So basically need to tell this person to buy a new table...

21 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

I was pretty sure temp rezzers are against the covenant and checked. 

image.png.c00dd390906018eaa75fb4eeef458e33.png

Yep. And go wander Bellisseria and... they are not uncommon... around Halloween I was seeing them everywhere...

Granted, during holidays it gets worse as many things like snow and ghosts and such are done with them.

On mainland I used them for years to put fish in the water of a river spot I had... forgot it even was a temp rezzer...

When I first went premium in 2009, I think I managed to stuff about 30-million land impact of sweet-loot into a 512m parcel with temp rezzers... 😮

• Thanks 1

What an eye opener!  I had no idea what a temp rezzer was before reading these comments.  But I think I may have one--I have a table I love, & was planning to use it in my Victorian. It has different food settings that you can choose, leave up or change at will.  Temp rezzer?

Can I solve the problem (rather than delete it from inventory)  by making copies with each choice, then removing a script?  I'm sure glad it was discussed here, I had no idea 😯

How to tell if something is temp rezzer?  I have a school of fish that might be

Edited by GinaFreumann
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, GinaFreumann said:

What an eye opener!  I had no idea what a temp rezzer was before reading these comments.  But I think I may have one--I have a table I love, & was planning to use it in my Victorian. It has different food settings that you can choose, leave up or change at will.  Temp rezzer?

Can I solve the problem (rather than delete it from inventory)  by making copies with each choice, then removing a script?  I'm sure glad it was discussed here, I had no idea 😯

I think "temp-rezzer" in the context of the covenant means objects that periodically rez other objects that are marked as "temporary."

Temporary objects don't count towards the LI limit of a parcel and they are automatically deleted after about a minute. Temp-rezzers are intended to rez the same object again after every minute, so that you can have a "permanent" object without losing any LI. The table @Pussycat Catnap showed would take up 82 LI, but since it's temporary, it's practically 0 LI.

If your table has an option to rez different kinds of food or cutlery, that doesn't make it a temp-rezzer... as long as the stuff isn't marked as temporary.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 6

34 minutes ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

@Pussycat Catnapry, it's practically 0 LI.

If your table has an option to rez different kinds of food or cutlery, that doesn't make it a temp-rezzer... as long as the stuff isn't marked as temporary.

Exactly.

Look at my screenshots above again if not sure. The edit panel, you can see a checkmark on 'Temporary'.

- basically if you see that on anything in Linden Homes and it's something that was NOT put there manually by another person within the last 59 seconds, it's a violation. To find the actual object rezzing it... you need to edit things nearby and look in their contents for the objects you saw:

2ea4cee42a042e5a5c6d684f3f30dae9.jpg

In this case there is even a script named 'Temp Rezzer' - but someone trying to hide this could name a script anything...

This example is really much more what you get when someone buys a product and doesn't realize it's doing this... In this case, the product in the shop never says it's a temp-rezzer. It's just old pre-mesh and this method was more common back then and not something people even tended to think about much.

EDIT: Oops... actually yes, the store does say this one is a temp rezzer, and I even had that in my screenshot up above... O.o

I imagine an AR filed on these things would work just as well if filed on the rezzer or something it rezzed. Either way a mole or linden will likely have to go look and see what you're seeing anyway...

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

This example is really much more what you get when someone buys a product and doesn't realize it's doing this... In this case, the product in the shop never says it's a temp-rezzer. It's just old pre-mesh and this method was more common back then and not something people even tended to think about much.

In the photo you took while in the store, you can see on the sign next to the display that it actually does say it's a temp rezzer, confirming what you discovered by investigating the item "in the wild".

8 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

In the photo you took while in the store, you can see on the sign next to the display that it actually does say it's a temp rezzer, confirming what you discovered by investigating the item "in the wild".

OMG oops... It's like... right there in my own screenshot... O.o

Yeah... I was mentally thinking of another one of them I saw in the shop that just said something like 'click the table surface to rez food'... and didn't recheck my screenshot before posting...

oops...

• Like 1

Just to add to the temp rezzer discussion (which I hadn't thought about in YEARS and never used )  at the SAME TIME (seven years ago maybe? and in the early days of mesh) there were also pieces of furniture that let you pick the items that you wanted to see rezzed. So for example you might have had a table and could decide from a list  which of the object available you wanted to see. The LAND IMPACT would change depending on what you chose. Cheeky Pea had a lot of these at the time. There was a note in with the items that was very clear that your choices would affect land impact.   So not everything that "might" be a temp rezzer is actually one.    

I had a tiny shop on a homestead sim back in the day when they were new (and very cheap) and the landlord had a TON of temp rezzers working. My vendors kept disappearing because somehow (back then - don't know the techy part of the equation) the sim would become overcrowded and random items would be deleted as the sim was beyond capacity.  There was a lot of that going on then and the Lindens made a rule and I think (not sure) people ran the risk of losing their land if they continued to abuse the system. Very hard on the servers.    

I didn't stay long on that sim and they stopped renting out which was a good thing :D.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1557 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.