Wireless Spacemouse Connection Trouble (Firestorm)

CrownThaLastNam3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm having an issue with connecting my spacemouse to my Firestorm application. I've tried like 4 different methods and still nothing. Its driving me crazy because I've gotten it to work on 3 previous laptops before, even the one I'm currently using, but unfortunately no dice. I make a lot of videos, so having this accessible to me is very important and its sucks that I can't use it at the moment. Does anybody have any updated instructions. I've disabled the joystick and everything else I needed to do per instructions on a few different websites. I've uninstalled and reinstalled like 500 times to no avail. When I finally go inworld with the camera, its like its locked onto my avatar. It tilts smoothly , it turns smoothly (but only partially) and everything is really nice, but its like the camera is locked onto my avatar and won't give me Free Flycam range . Please Please Please help ASAP. THANK YOU!

Never heard of spacemouse. Googled it and it looks interesting. I use a Razer Orbweaver which likewise is a keypad thingy with a directional pad. It's always been a little limited with SL.

But... I would take this up with firestorm people... someone there might know.

https://www.firestormviewer.org/support/

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/getting_help

24 minutes ago, CrownThaLastNam3 said:

I'm having an issue with connecting my spacemouse to my Firestorm application. I've tried like 4 different methods and still nothing. Its driving me crazy because I've gotten it to work on 3 previous laptops before, even the one I'm currently using, but unfortunately no dice. I make a lot of videos, so having this accessible to me is very important and its sucks that I can't use it at the moment. Does anybody have any updated instructions. I've disabled the joystick and everything else I needed to do per instructions on a few different websites. I've uninstalled and reinstalled like 500 times to no avail. When I finally go inworld with the camera, its like its locked onto my avatar. It tilts smoothly , it turns smoothly (but only partially) and everything is really nice, but its like the camera is locked onto my avatar and won't give me Free Flycam range . Please Please Please help ASAP. THANK YOU!

I have a wired version.  I install the driver, and then uninstall the driver, and then it works.  It's been like this for years.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

Never heard of spacemouse. Googled it and it looks interesting. I use a Razer Orbweaver which likewise is a keypad thingy with a directional pad. It's always been a little limited with SL.

But... I would take this up with firestorm people... someone there might know.

https://www.firestormviewer.org/support/

https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/getting_help

Unfortunately. Firestorm redirected me back here.

58 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Desiree, I don't think those apply any more.  3DConnexion changed their drivers, and they no longer work with SL.  Nalates Urriah had some long and complex posts and links on her blogs to ways to get it working again, but I never was able to.

Yes, and I tried Nalates but for some reason its like it wants to work but like the camera movement is restrained. Its really weird, I was just using it not even a month ago.

5 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

when u go into pref/move an view/movement then click on joystick config does it actually show the space navigator is connected? and is enable joystick enable and you pressed the space navigator defaults button? and the control mode is only selected to flycam?

Yeah, I have that stuff selected and everything. I even did the whole script thing in the beginning, even though there's like 3 different versions. Each one just gives me this range of motion that's like 10m. Its so annoying. Here's a GIF of what I mean.

only thing I can think of is the viewer Debug Setting: DisableMouseWarp

from the wiki: "Disable warping of the mouse to the center of the screen during alt-zoom and mouse look. Useful with certain input devices, mouse sharing programs like Synergy, or running under Parallels."

i have never used a spacemouse but I found that disabling this setting made my wireless mouse go a whole lot better, as I also have a Wacom Intuos pen drawing tablet connected to my computer

5 hours ago, Jackson Redstar said:

when u go into pref/move an view/movement then click on joystick config does it actually show the space navigator is connected? and is enable joystick enable and you pressed the space navigator defaults button? and the control mode is only selected to flycam?

One thing I noticed that I'm guessing may be different is the fact that instead of saying "Spacemouse Wireless" beside the joystick it says "3Dconnexion Universal Receiver."

8 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

only thing I can think of is the viewer Debug Setting: DisableMouseWarp

from the wiki: "Disable warping of the mouse to the center of the screen during alt-zoom and mouse look. Useful with certain input devices, mouse sharing programs like Synergy, or running under Parallels."

i have never used a spacemouse but I found that disabling this setting made my wireless mouse go a whole lot better, as I also have a Wacom Intuos pen drawing tablet connected to my computer

How would I do that?

12 minutes ago, CrownThaLastNam3 said:

How would I do that?

in Firestorm then menu: Advanced \ Show Debug Settings

in Debug Settings dialog search box type: disablemousewarp

you will get this:

mousewarp.png.86320d189e105694bfa29ebbc8520728.png

set the option from FALSE to TRUE. Close the dialog and done

On 1/1/2020 at 9:49 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

Desiree, I don't think those apply any more.  3DConnexion changed their drivers, and they no longer work with SL.  Nalates Urriah had some long and complex posts and links on her blogs to ways to get it working again, but I never was able to.

I just install the driver, and then uninstall it, and it works.  LoL. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

Recently bought a SpaceMouse Wireless, using the recent driver 3DxWare 10 for Windows (64 bit).  I'm having the same issues displayed in the gyazo gif above, very limited motion in any axis and bounce back roughly to starting point.  This occurs in both Avatar and Flycam modes.  I'm not tethered to the avatar, can even have it walk away on its own and I'm still in bounce-back mode around the cam focus location.  I've tried everything in every installation instruction I could find, including uninstalling the driver after installing it.  Nothing works.  This topic is the very latest comment on the SpaceMouse I can find anywhere.  Suggestions, anyone ... ?

PROBLEM SOLVED.  All I had to do was uncheck "3D Cursor" in the Joystick Configuration screen (if you click SpaceNavigator Defaults, it will be checked again).  It functions wirelessly when connected to "3DConnexion Universal Receiver" or wired when connected to "Spacemouse Wireless".  Movement was sluggish in Flycam  and in the pitch & yaw axes of Avatar movement, I had to increase the values.  Took me 3 days to find this solution (it was actually suggested for an entirely different joystick), hope it helps someone else.

Oh ... yes, it works fine with the driver uninstalled.

Edited by Dayve8
Addendum
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/12/2020 at 10:32 AM, Dayve8 said:

PROBLEM SOLVED.  All I had to do was uncheck "3D Cursor" in the Joystick Configuration screen (if you click SpaceNavigator Defaults, it will be checked again).  It functions wirelessly when connected to "3DConnexion Universal Receiver" or wired when connected to "Spacemouse Wireless".  Movement was sluggish in Flycam  and in the pitch & yaw axes of Avatar movement, I had to increase the values.  Took me 3 days to find this solution (it was actually suggested for an entirely different joystick), hope it helps someone else.

Oh ... yes, it works fine with the driver uninstalled.

I have two different wired versions and one wireless version.  My wireless one does not work well in wired mode.  In all cases, I install the driver to test the unit, and then uninstall the driver.  In SL, it works fine without the driver.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just had my Spacemouse delivered today, was all over the net trying to figure out how to set it up for SL. I found a lot of outdated information as well as long winded technical jargon that the average person would fall out of their chair reading. I will share what worked for me, step by step and hope it helps others in the future.

1. Plug in your device to USB (wired or wireless, plug it in).
  2. Install the latest drivers from 3DConnexion.
  3. Reboot your PC.
  4. Search windows for 3DConnexion Home and open the software.
  5. Click on Training and go through setup/training after the driver/software is installed.
  6. Go into your device manager, view>by connection.
  7. Expand 3Dconnexion KMJ Emulator.
  8. Disable HID-compliant game controller (right click to disable) and close device manager.
  9. Open up SL and navigate to Preferences>Move & View>Movement.
  10. Click on Joystick Configuration.
  11. Enable Joystick at the top and make sure it shows the correct device (Spacemouse or Spacenavigator but not KMJ).
  12. Click the default button in the lower right and use the following settings:
    Disable: Direct Zoom/3D cursor/Auto Level (optional)
    Enable: Avatar/Flycam (Leave Build off unless you want to play with it)
    Set all your Transforms to 4 and all your Rotations to 2.0 (You can adjust later)
    Set your deadzones to ~0.1-0.2
    Set Feathering on all three sliders just slightly to the right of full left.
  13. Reboot SL
  14. Open the 3DConnection Home again if its closed.
  15. Click on settings in the upper right corner.
  16. Make sure the settings window (top) shows "Firestorm" or whatever viewer you are using.
    Note: I find that the active app shown in settings is whatever the last active window you had open. Make sure it is SL.
  17. Make sure the device is set to your device (NOT the USB dongle) and click on advanced settings.
  18. Enable Pan/Zoom/Rotation, set all the slider checkboxes to Active and then close.
  19. Optionally, Click "Buttons" and map the right side button to "Alt+Shift+F" and Left to "Esc".
  20. Test avatar walking and Flycam in SL (Flycam=Alt+Shift+F).
  21. (Remaining steps for wireless use ) unplug the USB cable and plug in your USB dongle.
  22. Turn the switch on your wireless mouse to ON.
  23. Open 3D Connexion Home again if it is closed.
  24. Change the device to the USB dongle.
  25. Click "Add Device" and add your device. This will start the bluetooth pairing, just follow the instructions.
  26. When you are done, test your movement and camera in SL. You may need to reboot SL again.

Note: Using the button on the device to toggle Flycam will cause your avatar to jump. I have no idea how to fix this.

Edited by DeviousDreams
Edited for clarity.
  • Like 1

SL supports the device natively. You don't need the driver installed. In fact having it installed and active could prevent it from working. Try disabling the mouse emulation part of the driver. SL needs to see it as a joystick only. Also if you have anything else that acts like a joystick (like the thumbstick on a secondary keypad) you need to disable the joystick emulation on that device. Worst case, you'll get this to work, but only a couple of the buttons will do anything, but it should work.

On 8/13/2020 at 11:34 AM, Emeline Thibedeau said:

where is the 'Transforms' and 'Rotations' settings? Do you have a screenshot of your settings please?

@Emeline Thibedeau This is what has been working for me so far. I'm still playing with the numbers.
@Crim Mip  I got the mouse primarily for 3D work, not so much SL so I kept the driver. Still works fine.

How the control modes work:
There are three columns, Avatar, Build and Flycam. I didn't mess with the mouse in build.

X/Y/Z Scale sets the sensitivity for Transform

• Avatar (X=Left/Right, Y=Fly/Crouch, Z=Forward, Backward)
  • Flycam (X=Left/Right, Y=Fly/Land, Z=Forward, Backward)

Pitch/Yaw/Roll Scale sets the sensitivity for Rotation.

• Avatar (Pitch=Look Up/Down, Y=Turn Left/Right, *There is no Roll for Avatar)
  • Flycam (Pitch=Tilt Up/Down, Y=Rotate(Pan) Left/Right, Roll=Dutch(Tilt) Left/Right)

Dead Zone is how far you have to move the mouse in each axis before you get a response from SL. Lower numbers will respond quicker, higher numbers will allow you to move the controller slightly before it registers in SL. I set the transforms pretty low (.05) and rotations a little higher. You may want to set Roll a little higher still.

Feathering controls the drift or settle. When you let go of the controller it will slowly come to a stop. Setting this slider to the right will cause it to drift more.

Zoom: Maybe someone else can answer this. I disabled it cause I didn't see a need for it.

In this picture I have the joystick disabled. You will want to turn that on.
You should never have to change the mappings.

affae3dbb856ae05c668c2cac98ceb88.png

Edited by DeviousDreams
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1320 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.