Uploading multipart mesh while retaining their old positions

Gael Ravenhurst

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1574 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello,

I'm wondering if there's better way to upload a multi part mesh object while retaining each parts original positions from the 3d software?

One way I thought of obtaining that result would be to add tiny planes to each part of the object at the same spot so that each parts bounding boxes would end up to be the same which in turn would give them same origin allowing to copy and paste their world position Inworld. The problem in doing that is that it would increase the LI of what I'm uploading drastically and the objects parts wouldn't be able to be re-used in other projects.

Am I missing something or will I have to manually reassemble all the parts manually?

Edited by Kikkos

In general it's simpler if you upload just one part at a time and set each lod model individually rather than trying to set everything in a multi-part export.

One blender unit equals 1 meter in SL, so getting the right offsets back shouldn't be much of an issue.

And If some of your parts have non-world-alligned rotations you will have to rotate them back before export anyway since the SL importer doesn't care about individual object rotations.

16 hours ago, OptimoMaximo said:

It depends from the software you're using. I made a plug in for Maya to achieve exactly what you're describing. 

Unfortunately I'm using blender. What's the name of that plugin and is it open source? I might just take a look at it's code if possible and reimplement it in Blender. Worse case scenario just jump ship to maya for the export.

2 hours ago, Kikkos said:

is it open source?

Its name is BuildersMate, It's not open source, I'm sorry. However, even if it was, the two python versions aren't compatible with each other and the API in use is specific to Maya. Moreover, what it does is to generate a lsl script to put in a rezbox, another lsl script inside of the parts to be rezzed receive the instructions to move and rotate the pieces into position. It wouldn't be that easy to reimplement in Blender. If you wish to give it a shot anyway, I can explain to you the steps to extract the necessary data to get a similar result. 

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1574 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.